1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Swoosh (update again)

Discussion in 'Double Wing Aircraft Plans' started by 7up, Jan 10, 2009.

1. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

SWOOSH

I made some adjustments and regenerated the Phlatcode... (Update 01-20-09)
    I made some adjustments and regenerated the Phlatcode... (Update 01-21-09)
    Hope this does it.

Hey guys, I been wanting something that just floats around that can fly at a walking pace and still be maneuverable. I haven't had a chance to test it but I came up with this "pocket" wing design which also doubles as a "KF Step" for even more lift. Ah, in theory it should work, so if anyone tries it please post results.

32" WS (I left a little extra for rounding the edges), extra large control surfaces for adequate control.

The files are for 1/4" or 6 mm foam. Enjoy! Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Swoosh.zip (1.1 MB)Â

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Love it!!! It will be a keeper for me. Good work!

Yoram

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice job 7UP!

Your "pocket wing" is a great idea and if it works may become very popular!
    Thanks for sharing
    MnT

4. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Nice little design there 7up. I've done some KF experimentation on biplanes and KF does slow up nicely but tends to hunt a little in the transition between mid alpha and smooth planing. Kind of an annoying dead spot where something needs to happen but nothing does till a bigger than normal input is given. The drag tabs you incorporated may do the trick and give you that draggy float feel your looking for. (when in doubt, add a streamer :mrgreen: ).
    I've always been in favor of slower downlines and have added dragtaps on a lot of stuff. Have yet to find the perfect simple setup. The split aileron with a mile of mixing and switched functions worked well, but geeze, it was like flying and playing the piano at the same time.

Hmmm, I just had an idea!

5. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Just got done building it 7up. made a few minor corrections and waa laa this is a sweet bipe. can't wait to add the electronics and try it out at the indoor flyin this Sunday. Great plane you drew up 7up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See you around folks..

6. 7up

Looks great Frank, hope you get to try it out Sunday. Keep me posted on your results.

Hopefully I will have my Phlatprinter up and running before too long and I can test some of these designs before I release them. In the mean time thanks alot for being a great Guinea pig! :p

Keep up the great work with the Flightcast, I look forward to it each week.

7. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Thanks 7up good luck with the printer ;)

8. kram242

Frank,
    Nice one it came out really good looking!
    What are the minor corrections you made to the design?
    Looking forward to hearing/seeing the results of this new wing idea.
    Thanks
    Mark

9. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

First off I like 7up's stuff ;) I was cutting the first panel of ff and the printer tried to run outside of the safe zone.The bitmap safe zone is just a skitch wider than the current safe zone area. I just moved the outside wing braces in a bit. Also the brake panels did not have the command to make an inside cut. I also elected to add a second rudder to double up the thickness.Other than that the plan was spot on for me. Nice build with the alignment tabs being used. No flyin today. Snowed out!

10. kram242

Ok cool thanks for letting me know, just wanted to make sure it was OK to cut. Its interesting to know that the original template file is a little bigger than the script created one.
    I wonder if you save the cut out for the pocket on these wings and try it both ways with it or without it. Which would create more lift? I think this is a great design with a great idea (pocket wing) and when I can cut it out I want to test that out.
    Thanks Frank for the info
    Lookinjg forward to your flight report
    Mark

11. 7up

Hey guys and gals, if anyone is or has cut this out please post up. One of our members is having trouble getting this thing cut out and I am trying to determine if the phlatcode is good or no.

I know Frank from RCFC had a slight problem with a few parts but that was resolved and this issue is not related. It seems files 1 ad 2 of the Phlatcode are hanging up on him so if you have any input please come forward.

Thanks
    -Buk

12. kram242

7up, Looks to me that you used NC plot to change your cut lines to blue. I think this might be where the error is taking place.
    I loaded the SU7 file and looked at it everything looks good there, the problem is when you load Mach3 and look at the codes. The first two have the problem and the last one is ok.
    What I think is going on is that the output of the final code from NC plot is larger than our safe cutting area in Mach3.

Here is a picture of your output code, notice the top is cut off

[​IMG]

Then I opened the the file in SU7 and output the same code and it looks fine here's the pic, notice the top is not cut off

Hope this helps
    BTW nice job on the file really nice and neat good work. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. 7up

Thanks Mark I didn't catch that being cut off. Actually I was using SU6 and the last version of the Phlatscript to generate the code so the blue lines would be there.

I guess I will move on to the newest script and wait for an update to get my blue lines ;)

Thanks again, I'l regenerate some new code and repost.

14. 7up

I regenerated the code using the newest PhlatscripT and uploaded the new files to the first post.

Hope that does it.

15. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

This is a fun and relaxing hobby isn't it 7up :lol:

16. kram242

17. 7up

Yea, it does wonders for my blood pressure.. lol

Just jokin', I love it! :lol:

18. TigerPilot

Finally got around to cut this one. I never had a biplane with dual ailerons. What is the best way to connect the two that are on the same side so that they will go up and down the same amount? I tried to put a horn on the trailing edges of the ailerons. The bottom one pointing up and the top one pointing down but then they don't go up and down the same amount.

19. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

You can point the horn straight out on both and they should move the same amount. Kinda like a doughnut on the end of a rectangle. The rectangle sticks into the foam and the doughnut part hangs right off the back of the aileron.

20. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I am visualizing what you are doing... Here's what I have done. Red piece can by ply, or even a cut off zip-ty. Works every time :D

OOPS saw 3DMon posted while I was drawing;-) I meant I'm not visualizing what Yoram
    is doing. Attached files [​IMG]

21. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hey the drawing is way better, thanks.

22. TigerPilot

Thanks, guys. I'll try it and we'll see how it works.

23. 7up

Pop-sickle stick ends work good for this.

24. TigerPilot

I did as suggested and maidened it. While it worked better than what I had first it is still not perfect. They don't come down the same and if I don't make the extension long enough the connection rod hits the lower aileron and limits the down-travel. I may make a mod for four 3.7gr servos rather than using two 9gr servos, as I have it now.