1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Tabless cutting

Discussion in 'Projects on your Phlatprinter 3' started by kram242, Nov 13, 2010.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hey guys had an idea right before bed last night. :)

This is an idea I had last night for dealing with parts that have complex parts or many parts. Before we would have to create tabs(bridges) to hold the parts in place while the Phlatprinter's are cutting them out. As you can imagine, this was a time consuming process, adding tabs for every little part.
    Using a scrap piece of foam under the foam to be cut(sandwich), allows for the parts to be stuck to this foam and holds them in place while cutting with no tabs needed. Another upside is that you do not have to tape or glue the two pieces of foam together. Once the first cut is made they are connected!
    This will be a great time saver and allow for many part designs to be processed with less post preparation. Parts come out clean and tab free :D

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

That's fantastic! If I was assembling this, I could see spending alot of time cutting the tabs away and the bits they leave behind in the openings. Wonder if this would work well, with wavy foam? And maybe with a 1/16 bit, they would release easier?

-Kwok

3. kram242

I was wondering the same thing about the 1/16" bit but I have yet to try that. Releasing them was really pretty easy, I just had a hard time in the video because I only had one had free. Its really cool how the parts that are the cutout scraps stay on there really well while the parts that we want come off with little effort!
    I have to say after seeing Blind Flights tricopter cutout I thought there has to be a better way then cutting out all these tabs :)
    [​IMG]

4. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Thats great, Mark! I'm pretty surprised that there is no parts chatter near the end of each cut.

That leaves me thinking about a problem I've had recently with my MK2 and the Micro Yak. I'm using full sheet depron 3mm on it and the outer two inch border on the sides sometimes fails to cut 100% through, only about 98% leaving a hair of material-even though the Z is calibrated perfectly in the roller area. This is the part where the drive roller ends. I think possibly gravity is at play causing a slight bowing of the top deck support? Difficult to see. Also, I have to keep my overcut minimized when using the .0625 bits as there is not a lot of cutting area in the flute so I have to keep the taper down quite a bit. Maybe the P will solve this as an overhead gantry based system with two drive rollers supporting the material.

5. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Wow! Mark, Now I'm really getting concerned about that brain of yours popping. Watch it! :lol:

That is one of the coolest P tricks I have seen so far.

6. kram242

I think it may now that the material will be perpendicular to the bit now instead of at an angle. It make sense that toward the end it would do this as with the single drive roller your angle would increase there. With the dual drive roller the material stays level all the way to both ends.

Buk no need to worry there with a head the size of mine there is plenty of room :)

7. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

Wow! Were you using tables, too? Or just a bare P (Phlatprinter, not Pentium :D)? I could see without tables how those small bits might pop out if they didn't get melted to the foam. Would they get crushed under the rollers and be a nuisance or just fall right off? No skewing in relation to the two sheets? I would consider using this method for all cuts, complex or not, depending on how long the "blank" on the bottom would last. Three cuts? Maybe I'll pass. Ten with the right cutting depth? Sounds good for everything! :)

I think this deserves a "Congratulations!"

- Jeff

8. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Good point Mark, looking forward to testing this out in a few months :D

9. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

OK. I just tried out the tabless cutting on my MKI with a 1/16" bit. It works pretty well. Some of the small cutouts fell out, but they didn't jam up the machine so it cut out perfectly. I normally cut foam on my MKI with the skin side up. I put the skin on the scrap piece skin side down so that the foam was skin to skin. It really works quite well. I put in another file that is cutting right now. It is more complicated and should be a better example. I'll post results later this evening.

Tim

10. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I keep a spray can of Aileens tacky glue handy. When I am cutting lite ply or balsa, I spray a very light coating (just a mist) onto a scrap piece of FFF and then let it set for 10 or 15 seconds and then place the ply or balsa on the scrap piece. I usually add a bit of masking tape to hold it place.

The scrap does two things for me, one it helps the rollers feed the material and two, it keeps all of the small parts attached to the foam where I have not added tabs, like slot cutouts and small circles.

I never thought to use the same technique for FFF parts or to totally eliminate all the tabs, but I can see this would be a big time saver. That is the part I hate most, having to separate all the parts from the sheet and then sand the little tab areas.

This is great tip!

11. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

This is awesome!

12. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

UPDATE

The second sheet didn't go so well. About 1/4 of the way into the cut, the bit loaded up and the friction melted a wad of foam on the bit. The bit didn't break and I was able to break the lump off the bit (so it is reusable), but it was definitely not a success. Wondering if the bit might be a little dull. I haven't cut a lot of foam with it, but it has seen a fair amount of use. I'm also wondering if maybe the cut speed might be too fast in the X direction. I have the X set to 45ipm.

Tim

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

You might have the RPM too high, or the feed rate too LOW. You want the bit to be cutting and flinging chips (and their excess heat), not making dust. I run my MK1.5 at the slow rpm setting (8000 ?) on my Dremel and 100 IPM for X and Y.

14. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

I have not had any problem with this setup before trying the tabless cutting although I increased the X speed recently. I've cut 3 or 4 sheets with the 1/16" bit and X on 45ipm. I think these bits are up cutting bits which would push the chips into the sacrificial sheet without necessarily having a good place to go. Not sure why the first one worked and the second didn't.

Tim

15. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

How about just taping a piece of butcher paper to the top and bottom of the foam? Or maybe a piece of foam to the bottom and butcher paper on top? It May only work with some projects.

Can the foam be advanced forward after each part is cut to drop off the table end? Or maybe having the G-code stop the cutting process after each part is cut so it can be removed and then restarted the code where it left off?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

If the intent was to save time, just adding the tabs would be a LOT quicker than stopping the program after every part, removing the piece, then restarting the code.
    btw, M01 is the code to add a Pause to the program. iirc, just clicking on "Print" restarts the operations from that point, but "Cycle Start" is what you want to do to get it going again.

17. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Yep, I understand saving time. I am familiar with CNC but a newbe to the PP. I would still think that if your making a one-off plane, stopping and pulling the cut piece out may be faster than manually adding tabs into the program.
    Does the program have an auto-tab function so you don't manually have to add them in?
    If it doesn't, maybe it could be added into the new software...something as simple as defining for every "X" amount of inches cut a tab is made?

18. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Auto-tabbing has been requested. Not sure it would save much time. There would be a fair amount of deleting unwanted tabs and adding necessary ones. I think removing each piece would take longer than putting in tabs although if you figure in the amount of time spent cutting tabs to remove the piece from the sheet it might be close. I'm not sure it would work well though because one of the parts of the ferris wheel didn't have tabs on it and because it had no tabs, it fell out just before finishing the cut so there was some cleanup to do on that part as well.

I'm going to try a cut with the 1/8" bit on my MKI and see if it works any better. I am also going to try a new (sharper) 1/16" bit as well. It really doesn't make sense to me that one sheet that took 35 minutes to cut would work well and the next sheet fails 10 minutes into the process.

Tim

19. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I just saw the video..didn't realize there was one there. Frikin work nazi's block video content. :evil: I guess they actually expect me to work. Now I see the problem. Forget my previous suggested solutions.
    I guess the easy way out would be to not cut anything with that much detail :p

Can I get a script of the eiffel tower? My dad is French and would love to glue that together for a Christmas Present. :)

20. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Board index ‹ FREE PLANS - For your Phlatprinter ‹ Architectural ‹ Buildings
    viewtopic.php?f=202&t=61&view=unread#p149

[​IMG]

Cheers
    E-T

21. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Sweet! Thanx!

22. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

OK. Tabless cutting on the MKI results round 2.
    I was working on an instrument panel for a Falcon 10 (corporate jet) for work today and having trouble with the layout on paper so I decided to cut it with the MKI to help get it correct. The panel is 54" wide so that means 2 sheets. I cut the first sheet (the smaller of the two) tabless with both the sacrificial sheet and the cut sheet skin facing up. The only thing that kept it from being a complete failure was the lack of small cutouts. None of the pieces adhered to the sacrificial sheet. With the second sheet I ran it skin to skin. My MKI is completely stock and the waviness of the foam is a problem. If the forward pressure roller had the sand or lead shot mod or the spring mod, it would probably work better. This cut out failed due to the foam not being flat. The double pressure roller on the Phlatprinter III would pretty much eliminate this issue (I think).

I do have a thought on this though. A hybrid of tabbed and tabless might work well. I'm thinking that you might be able to eliminate about 75% of the required tabs with a sacrificial piece of foam on top. I'm still not sure it's worth the wasted foam. I have not tried reusing a sacrificial piece yet, but there are rough places in them where the bit penetrates the foam.

I have not yet tried a 1/8" bit with tabless cutting. That will be the next test. I also go my hands on a 1/32" bit with a .3" flute length. I'm going to try that too, but I think the flute length may be too short. I'm going to try that with tabs first.

Tim

23. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Wow that work'd better than i expected

Just made a test file and did the cut

Lowe's green guard ... 1/16 " bit , 75 ipm 140 overcut

Picture 1 though i did already have the part pulled off , i put it back for the pic, :fugly:
    :tease: Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. kram242

Awesome looking cut Bruce! :doubleup:
    I think we just found the best use for green guard foam :D
    Mark and Trish

25. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

That did work good. Funny how we don't have green guard here, just blue fanfold.