1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Tabs made easy!

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by dhc8guru, Jan 8, 2011.

1. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Well...easier

I decided to start a new thread on this to make it easier for someone looking for an easier solution for making tabs.

I use AutoCAD to generate the .DXF file for the USB CNC software. When you do this, the only way to add in tabs is to manually go into the G-code and program in the tabs. The software is very cumbersome and one mistake in the code and the software dumps out and you lose any tabs not previously saved. Also to make it more time consuming is you have to edit in one tab, save it, let the software regenerate, then click through the g-code to see the tool path where you want the next tab to be and then start the process over again. You also have to a lot of calculation for tab lengths etc. This can lead to hours of work.

So here is my solution.

All that is needed to be done is open your AutoCAD file or what ever program you are using to create the drawing. Every place you want a tab to be on the drawing, just create a break line in the length and location of the tab on the drawing. Once that is done, save away the .DXF file.
    Now go into the USB CNC software and you will see that every place there is a break, the G-code generates a G00 line with a rapid traverse over the break. All you need to do is go into the code and change the rapid traverse line with the Z-depth to your tab height and change the command to G01.Then the following G00 code with the rapid traverse into the next position, just change that to G01.

All done! Still time consuming but a quarter the time of doing it the other way.

2. Kroko

Kroko Member

Perhaps it is even easier with Planet-CNC USB software.
    In DXF import dialog click "Advenced". You will get some new parameters. Specify "Tab Distance" - (distance between tabs) and "Tab size" - (length of tab). Tabs will be inserted automaticaly. Make sure you enabled "Safe Height".
    In attached screenshots I have specified that I want 2mm tab every 50mm. My safe height is 5mm above material and my cut is 1mm deep. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

LOL! where were you when I was trying to figure out how to do this?
    Thanks for the info!

* I tried it and found that it put tabs in unwanted places. I will stick to my orignal solution of just creating breaks in the drawing.