1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Tabs

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by dhc8guru, Jan 7, 2011.

1. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Whats the easiest way to put in tabs? I started editing the G-code using the USB CNC software but it was so time consuming, I stopped. I am using drawings converted to .DXF from AutoCAD. I thought I heard that phlatscript had an autotabbing function but I don't know if that is true.

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I think Kwok has auto-tabbing in the works, but as of right now it is not included with the current version of the phlatscript. However, using the Phlatscript for tabbing is much, much easier than manually editing the gcode file.

Use the Tab Tool by simply left clicking wherever you would like a tab to positioned at on your model. For multiple tabs, you can click the left mouse button, hold it, then drag your pointer along a path and everywhere that your pointer touches an inside/outside cut line, a tab will be positioned there.

Tabs only work on inside/outside cut paths and the size and depth of the tabs can all be set in the Phlatscript Parameters dialog screen.

3. 7up

If using the Phlatscript to generate g-code for use with USB CNC software, you must compensate your offset cut (the material that is removed by your cutting bit, 1/2 of your bits diameter) by increasing or decreasing parts of your models size depending on whether it is an inside or outside cut.

4. SlowBipe

SlowBipe Member

I must have really missed something here. I couldn't figure out why all my inside cuts were a little too big and my outside cuts were a little too small (but I didn't worry so much about them). Since I was using the 1/16 bit it wasn't readily apparant (off by 1/32).

Any idea why we would enter in the bit diameter into the Phlatscript parameters. It seems there wouldn't be a use for this unless it was to offset the cut path for the bit diameter inside or out. Is this something that worked before, but PlanetCNC just compensates it back after the phlatscript compensates it over?

Has anyone heard if this is on the radar to get fixed?

Is there a better way to do this than using the phlatscript and compensating all of my lines by 1/2 the bit diameter? (Since I am still a beginner I want to learn it right)

Thanks for any help :cool:

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

SlowBipe,
    I think Buk was meaning if you bring a dxf into the cncusb software you need to account for the offset.
    I you generate gcode from the phlatscript you do not have to worry about offset because it does that for you.
    If your cuts are off you might be having a calibration issue.

6. SlowBipe

SlowBipe Member

3DMON,

It sure seems to me that Buk was refering to using the Phlatscript to generate g-code. I didn't know that Phlatscript could be used in the USB CNC software. I thought it was only used in Sketchup. Let me know if I misunderstand or if Buk just misquoted.

I can see where it would make sense that the DXF file imported into CNC USB software could require the offsets.

And thanks in advance for the help.

SlowBipe

7. 3DMON

The Phlatscript is only able to be used in Sketchup. The gcode it produces is what the cncusb software runs from. I think Buk may have put the wrong words or something in there by mistake.

The cncusb software can take a dxf file and make gcode from it but that dxf would need to be offset in the program it was created from (autocad, etc.) to account for the bit diameter.

8. 7up

Yes, what Shaun is saying. I am not to swift with words. I may bobble again but my workflow would be: doing all my parts layout and tool paths, including tabs in SU, and use the Phlatscript to output my gcode then use that gcode in USB CNC software for cutting. That way there is no worries about offset or tabs.

9. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Ok...so if I got all this correct, it sounds to me that I should use phlatscript to create the G-code and put my tabs in then use the CNC USB software to run the G-code with no worries about compensating for the tool off set?
    Manually putting the tabs in the CNC-USB software requires you to export the G-Code to a new file. So your not really modifying the original DXF file.

10. 7up

That would be my persona method, but you may find, or develop your own work-flow that best works for you.

To be honest, i'm not very familiar with the USB software. I don't have a P, YET, but I have plade with the software somewhat and understand how it works. I was just trying to explain a more simple way to add your tabs without having to manually edit your g-code.

11. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I played with it last night. No luck. all my designs are in Solidworks and AutoCAD. Google SU wont read the DXF files. I think I am stuck with editing the g-code.

12. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

13. 3DMON

Get Sketchup 7. It will import your dxf's.

14. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Or Sketchup 7.0 will import dxf files. You can get old sketchup versions at filehippo. For some reason sketchup always imports dxf files way to large and I have to scale it back down?

-Kwok

15. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

16. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

WoW, Mark! Thanks!! :eek: :D This has been bugging me since, forever. It works with Sketchup 7.0, too. Seems it was importing as feet (default), instead of inches. And there is even a check box to preserve the origin. Add it even remembers these settings, so it's automatic the next time around!

Now, if I need to, it would be very easy to export out dxf, process it with other software and import it back.

-Kwok

17. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

HUmmm I've been looking in to DevFuse, and I had someone send me a few formers in a DXF file that it exported. I imported to SU 7.0, and it was spot on with out having to change anything.

18. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

19. 7up

Good info! I can't believe I never noticed that option button before. :D

20. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I don't think so. The drawing he sent me was in metric, not imperial, But I just did a quick test in imperial.
    Drawn in AutoCAd
    Saved as a DXF
    Imported into SU 7

Using this DXF
    Rectangle is 2x5 and circle is 4" diameter Attached files Shapes.dxf (14.7 KB)Â

21. kram242

That's exactly what I was thinking to Kwok :D This is really cool!
    Mark and Trish

22. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

That's what firetrappe (Si) did with pockets. Exported out to Heekscad/Heekscnc and imported back into sketchup. He said they imported back to the same exact spot, too. I was scratching my head, because he didn't have any scaling problems either. At the time, I just assumed it was a metric thing, since he's from the UK.

-Kwok

23. kram242

Now thats a great idea! :)

24. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Looks like the USB CNC software does have autotabs:

Attached files [​IMG]

25. Kroko

Kroko Member