1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

The Foam Shredding Prevention Mod!!

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter MKII MODIFICATIONS' started by xtremeRCpilot, Jan 11, 2011.

1. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hey Guys and Gals!!
    Well its been almost 1.5 years since my last confession and I have to admit I dont know why I waited so long to FINALLY make my Roller MOD!!! :lol:

I devised the perfect solution to the dreaded foam imperfection caused by the sandpaper wrap on the original Pressure rollers !!
    My plan was to try a few rubber based coverings that would leave a silky smooth finish on my 3mm depron kits as I sell these and want the best quality product for my customers! I also needed to make sure there would be no slippage issues and skewing for that matter. So afte a little research I came up with a fairly inexpensive way to do this mod. Keep in mind because depron has a smooth side and a not so smooth side I wasnt concerned of changing the surface of the x drive roller and this is the moving power behind the foam so it makes the most sense to leave the sand covering.
    So here is what I came up with and part #s so you can do the same if you want!! I used the original 1/4" rods and lock collars but changed everything else.
    Keep in mind my goal was for clean foam surface cuts and I did not try this with any other material but I feel confident that it should be fine with wood as well. I kept the old rollers just in case!
    The total parts list was around $75 but well worth the results!! :)
    Parts list:
    2- 27" ( cut to size with my plumbing tube cutter) Aluminum Tubes 1"OD .
    Part # N247-593 ( 1" x 1/16" wall x 72" ) I bought this at my local hardware store.$12.05+tax
    1- 28.5" same as above( I purchased a 4' length.$8.35 +tax
    6- http://www.mcmaster.com/?orderview=new#6383k214/=ajm6eu
    This was the closest fit to the inside diameter and will fit perfect with the tubing cut ridge!
    8'- http://www.mcmaster.com/?orderview=new#tubing/=ajpu2d Part Number: 5235K61
    Once the unis were assembled I applied talc powder to the tube and inside the rubber.
    It is a very tight fit but with a little patience you have to work the rubber down inch by inch!
    Also cut the rubber 1/4" longer than tubes so it rides over the bearing edge( this will allow it to flange inward and leave a perfectly smooth contact with your foam!
    1- 5lb Daisey .177 Cal BB's!!!
    Once the units are assembled remove one of the lock collars holding the bearing and with the bearing removed drizzle in the BB's trying to keep the rod centered to the tube( although it will center itself once the bearing rotate a few time around the rod). Keep weighing the assembled tube until you reach your destined weight!!
    All I did was weigh my original pressure rollers and noted the weight I believe it was like 2lb 5oz on the fronts and 4.5lbs on the drive pressure roller. This just helps keep everything flat!!
    Here are some pics! Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

John, thank for posting. Like I said before, it's very professional looking. And what's more amazing, was done with just basic tool. I'm am sure, I will make use of this design.

btw, will you check that 2nd like link. It's bad. Think that's the one that points to the rubber tubing.

-Kwok

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice job John! are you using a spoiler under the foam to keep the dive roller from touching as well? I did this with the Phlatprinter with a 5/8 piece of foam for my 3mm cuts and it works great. Now I just need to find the right heat shrink for the upper pressure rollers and I will have smooth sides on all depron cuts :D. On more thing I wanted to mention is there is a lube they use for installing rubber coatings on conveyor rollers that once dry becomes an adhesive. Maybe this could be used to replace the powder and help get the rubber on a little easier. Just a thought. I don't have a link but I will look.
    Really nice looking mod! Thanks for sharing
    Mark and Trish

4. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Excellent John. I really like the BBs instead of the sand. I know if I glue the endcaps properly, the sand won't leak out, but I worry about it leaking out anyway. This one is foinf on the list of mods after it's up and cutting properly. I got the y and z axes calibrated lastnight before family obligations took me away. X should be pretty quick tonight. I am going to revisit the Y though with a caliper similar to Flashsolutions calibration on the PP3.

I would be interested in that link Mark.

Tim

5. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Cool mod John! When I was young, many moons ago, we would occasionally have to replace the hand grips on our bikes. We would apply a fair amount of lotion to the inside of our hand grips and to our handle bars and the hand grips would slide on easy as pie. After an hour or so in the sun, the lotion would dry up/evaporate and you couldn't pry those suckers of with a crow bar.

6. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks for the nice Comments guys!!! :p
    Kwok, I just found it wont let me direct link to the item so go to my new link and put in the part # I have next to it!! :cool:

Mark, that is an awesome idea, the powder was a pain in the booty and that option would work much smoother if I may!!! :p

Tim, Because I used open ended ball bearings it only made sense to use something larger for weight like the bb's and they work awesome, it has a cool sound when they are rolling around!! :mrgreen:

Buk, I remember this method as a kid myself, we may not be that far off in age LOL :D Mainly the cheesy ten speeds had those long rubber grips that needed a little persuasion!! This may be a cheaper method than the said product Mark suggested, Im sure veryone has some lotion laying around! I like the idea of the Adhesion Marks product offers but even with the powder these Bad Boys are not coming off :lol:

Thanks again guys, hope this is useful for you!!
    John

7. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Can you tell I like smileys !!!!

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

9. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks Kwok, I think because I am signed in its not letting me link to it, but its weird because I cant figure out how to sign out :? LOL'

John

10. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

That rubber tubing looks nice. I checked and they have it it all kinds of sizes, even 5/8" I.D. hint hint for the P3.

Good stuff John.

11. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

That would be great Shaun if you guys could use it, Im telling you I just cut 30 flawless kits with it and no slipping or skewing!! :p
    Thanks
    John

12. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Very very nice MK2 mod! Thanks for sharing it with us, John!

13. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks Chris , hope you can put this to use, you wont be disappointed!! :)

John