1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

The FS-5.45 Mother Ship is completed

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by KX-5, Nov 1, 2009.

1. KX-5

KX-5 Member

The 45" saucer is finished. With a 3200mah lipo, it weights about 60oz.

Here are some pictures of the completed saucer.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

wow!!!!very sweet looking....great clean build...randy.

3. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

WOW! is right, it looks great.

4. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Thanks guys! It was a fun challenge to build. You just got to love that PhlatPrinter and the doors it opens up.

5. rjarois

KX-5, man, i have to think mark and Trish have to take that junky trainer down from the announcements, and slap this baby up. hey has it been flown yet?? if not, good luck on the first flight. peace, randy.

6. KX-5

KX-5 Member

rjarois, Thanks for the comments. I've wanted to build a heavy lifter type of plane as well. Yours looks like it will be a great picture taker. I'm waiting for some good weather here in Iowa. I'm hoping I'm not too late into the season to get this one tested. Good luck with the heavy lifter. Looking forward to videos.

7. rjarois

KX-5, well if your weather is anything like Michigan...lols you will be waitin forever, lols....heck when the wind is down to 10mph here, its like dead calm, lols. good luck with your first flight...randy.

8. meistertek

meistertek Member

Yes, you and the PhlatPrinter sure opened a door to another dimension with this plane. That is un-freakin believable! :shock: How did you get the covering so tight without warping the depron structure underneath? You have got to get video of this plane in flight!

9. KX-5

KX-5 Member

meistertek, thanks for the comment! Covering foam is tricky. And very time consuming because of the warp factor. I probably spent 15 to 20 hours on the covering. I've experimented a lot with covering types. The first requirement is a low temp covering like Tower Hobbies 21st Century Microlite film. It has to stretch easily at a low temp. Then the next key element is the temperature of the iron. About 240 degrees seems to work well for me. I use the regular iron to seal the edges. I don't use the regular iron to do the major shrinking step. I think it applies too much heat in too large an area at one time which causes major warping. After sealing the edges well with the big iron, I then use the very small trim sealing iron to do the final shrinking. It applies heat to a very small controlled area. For me, this keeps the warping to a minumum. But, even with careful shrinking, you will still have to work out some warps. But, this is no different than with a balsa built plane. It is one of those type of tasks that are best done in the morning when you are well rested and patience is better. Trying to cover foam at night after a long day at work does not always work well.

I'm looking forward to some video of this one also. I have to find a place to take off and land. My usual flying location won't work. This one is built with landing gear and too big for me to toss into the air.

10. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

This is unreal KX-5! You are unreal! :D She's a true beauty!
    I can't wait to see the maiden on this craft. I will not be able to sleep tonight thinking about how fantastic this plane will look in the air :mrgreen:
    Super nice job!
    Mark

11. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Mark, thanks for the compliments!! :p It's an honor to have a plane be on the opening page. This forum has so many excellent planes showing up. If this one flies as well as it's predecessors, I'm in for a treat. To me it's got that "bomber" look. I'm looking forward to that maiden flight. Keep up the great work on the shop and those PhlatPrinters!

12. Spadman82

Spadman82 New Member

13. Lucky

Lucky New Member

KX-5, wow what an awesome build. It looks awesome..cant wait to see it the air!! Congrats :D

Chris

14. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Thanks Lucky! It looks like a couple days before the wind is reasonable around here.

15. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Here is the maiden flight. Sorry for the poor video. Cameras don't make good video recorders. The landing is with power off.

16. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Wow that sound is so cool! Great video KX-5! N
    It fly's great and floats right in! Nice work
    Mark

17. rjarois

KX-5, good deal....looks real stable. randy.

18. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Thanks Mark. I love the sound of the dual motors. It has an awesome glide. Wing area is about 1,100 sq in. and wingloading about 8 oz/sq ft.

19. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Thanks Randy. It is very stable and does not seem to have any quirky habits. I'm using a new transmitter (Specktrum DXI6) and am not use to the stick sensitivity yet. I see by the landing that I could have used just a bit up elevator just before touch down. What do you think?

20. meistertek

meistertek Member

Dude! That does sound awesome... and that landing glide was sweet too.

21. KX-5

KX-5 Member

meistertek, Thanks! I do love the sound of the twin motors. I've made 4 flights so far and all have been dead stick landings. The weather is turning colder and windy here so finding a day for decent flying is hard to come by. I'm not ready to park this one for the winter just yet. I have some 4000mah lipos to try out.