1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

The Jakuta Project

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by MakingFoamFly, Mar 15, 2011.

1. MakingFoamFly

MakingFoamFly New Member

Hey Guys I wanted to let you all know about the new Mega project I have been working on for a bit. It is called Jakuta and is a 60" pattern 3D plane. Its electric and made from Blucor of course. I have started a blog and site about it over at Making Foam Flyhttp://www.MakingFoamFly.com so hop on over and lay down some comments and suggestion. Or if you wish leave them here! here are some pics to show you whats up

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:doubleup: Way to go Nick she looks awesome :doubleup:
    Mark and Trish

3. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

WOW, now this is a beautiful construction.
    Man you make the waiting time for my PP pass even slower...
    Great build, great plane, thank you for sharing.

4. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

That plane looks sweet! But, you are looking kinda green in the bottom pic. Could be you need more vitamin C?

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Pretty slick. Did you draw the wing sheeting, and cut to size, or just slap a sheet on, and trim later? I'm working up a Kadet like plane, and would like to cut the sheeting to size so I can tab it for strength; just not where to start on that phase of the drawing.

Also for the wing tubes... the tube that is shown, is that the outer tuber, or THE tube? Will you have some wood bracing for the tube on the ribs?

6. jovian

jovian Member

I cut it to size mainly. but some triming was needed. I still need to find the proper amount to reduce the ribs/formers by so things line up well.

7. rcav8r

Yea, that's what I've been doing... I'm sure there is an engineering formula for bending involving radius and thickness of the part. I'll have to check with some of my engineering buddies.

8. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

9. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

This is also how I work in SU, just as if I am using FF and the unfold tool gets pretty close. If I have a 1/4" thick (for example) piece of foam formed around ribs to skin a wing, I delete the top layer of that 1/4' and unfold the bottom layer that is left touching the ribs. If your ribs were offset enough to allow the skin to set flush around your wing form, it should be very close. Maybe some light sanding.

BTW, nice looking plane. :doubleup:

10. rcav8r

7Up, ET. That's how I do it too, the part always seems to be a bit bigger... not close enough for tabs to line up. Maybe I need more practice...

11. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Thanks it's my rendering of a full fuse Bird Dog from profile plans "That Oval Guy"
    I Never put it together. lol
    Also The semi profile BD was the First foamy that I built and Flew....well crashed. :D Attached files bird dog 3-D V_5.4.skp (317.6 KB)Â

12. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

"Do you think there is a difference between chosing the bottom over the top to unfold? My tabs Line up good unfolding from the top. That way the cut/fold lines are on the inside and give some relief."

I'm not sure but the next one I will try the top layer.

13. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Buk, if the cut/folding lines are inside the sheeting will be a little smaller but the leading edge will look nicer. If the lines are outside the sheet will keep it's size and the tabs will fit much better.

14. jovian

jovian Member

I unfolded the outside with the fold lines on the inside of the sheeting. By doing this the paneling was slightly larger than the formers which created the twist I believe

15. jovian

jovian Member

I remembered seeing a post here about how much a good offset was and I found it again!! Apparently 3/16 is the magic number. anyway here is the post viewtopic.php?f=66&t=109 > I will have to resize the formers and try it again.

16. jovian

jovian Member

Tried out cutting the jakuta in 3D The first half came out all right but the second the Z axis crashed, again. The sketchup file is at http://www.MakingFoamFly.com

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. kram242

Nick this looks cool! I think this is the first full 3D carved plane made on the Phlatprinters?
    What happened to cause the Z to crash?
    Very cool project :doubleup:
    BTW the making foam fly banner is up :)
    Mark and Trish
    Edit: I see you are looking into the z crash. Nick are you going to share your project files here on the Phlatforum as well? :good:

18. jovian

jovian Member

I think I got the z crash issue fixed. As Mark suggested removing the z wiring block and directly tying the lines together helped. I also added some lithium grease to the threaded rod. In any case several test runs and 1 full run later no more problems. The project file will be shared here but i want to make sure they are done right before I do.

19. rcav8r

FWIW, I got rid of the wiring blocks and use .1" headers as plugs. This way I can disconnect when needed, but still have a solid connection. There is no real way to key them, so you have to be careful to match colors when re-connecting.

Could use any multi-pin connector really, but I have these lying around as I also use these when tying multiple servos in a wing together so I only have one plug-in.

20. kram242

Good deal Nick :good:
    Glad to hear you back up and running.
    BTW I thought (in the chat maybe) you said you have one half glued up? I checked over at makingfoamfly.com but didn't see pics there either.
    Mark and Trish

21. jovian

jovian Member

I did say that and I have pics but it was late and it was a rough evening so I haven't updated the site yet. I will hopefully get it done tonight, but until then heres a picture to taunt

Attached files [​IMG]

22. jovian

jovian Member

Hello all I have posted an detailed update on the Jakuta project at my site here https://sites.google.com/site/makingfoamfly/projects/Jakuta. In short as has been mention I got both fuse halves cut and glued together. Tomorrow I should be able to put those halves together to see how the whole fuse will be. Thanks to ewo for giving me the tip on the aleens original tacky glue. It worked out well for this project. Other than that if you are thinking of pursuing this technique I recommend that you give yourself several feature to key alignment with around the frame as well as have several pins or toothpicks to pin pieces together so that they don't move. For now though here are some of the requisite pictures.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. kram242

Going together nicely Nick! :doubleup: Looks like it will be strong when its complete by doing it this way.
    Mark and Trish

24. jovian

jovian Member

A half is easily twice as stiff as the whole tab and slot fuse

25. jovian

jovian Member

I gotta say guys once you go to 3D building like this you will never go back to the panel method. The achievable straightness and stiffness with the ease of building is unreal. For now the halves are just taped together as I want to place in channels for cables have a easier time with making the holes for the wing mounts etc. All these will eventually be added to the 3d File and milled in. It will require a bit of sanding to get it to look nice but I should have been a bit more carefull when stacking them up. It really makes you think something was cut wrong until it all snaps together. Now I need to create the files for the wings, elevators and rudder. I will likely be hollowing them out on the mill machine so cross your fingers.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]