1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

The soon to be build log

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter BUILD LOGS' started by foamflight, Dec 26, 2009.

1. foamflight

foamflight New Member

Today I got my first components toward my upcoming phlatprinter build. I got three vexta steppers, a power supply and a dremel 200. ill be making my order for the phlat bonez kit as soon as I can call mark to place the order (since It seems its not online anymore.)
    ill also be ordering this controller: http://www.cncgeeker.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=41&zenid=b0b3c38cb1e4456acee0b26bc1b05743
    I am more psyched than ever to get this project started! I will be making as many mods to this machine as I have the patience.
    here are some of my Goals:
    Y axis belt mod w/ outboard mounted steppers
    Z axis ACME Drive
    1/2 in linear rods
    etc...

Ill keep you guys updated as I receive my kit and the progress of the build.

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Good price on that board and it looks like it has some good features too.
    Looking forward to seeing you progress and to see your mods.

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I saw this chip on a thread in CNCZone and was planing to build this board. I don't think I can make it myself for that price. The only problem with this board is that it has no opto-coupling. I don't know why they left it out but that is for sure a deal breaker. I would not recommend using it without adequate protection. The single axis board, on the other hand, which cost $40 has the opto-coupling.

I had priced, about 6 month ago, the parts for this board. Including the opto-couplings it's about $15 per axis if you buy in small quantities.

You can do a search on CNCZone for TB6560.

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I'm don't know enough to recommend, but found this one on ebay with the tB6560 controller. I even see a relay on the picture. But of course, this one ships from Hong Kong instead of local: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Axis-12-36V-3-5A- ... 2a0397a729 Guinea pigs are definitely needed. :) Would be nice to find, a reliable option to the easy-cnc board (like we did for the vexta motor). If for no other reason then, just in case the easy board becomes unavailable. I'm also wondering if the board would be more reliable, without the chip socket and it's scary to have heatsinks that are taped on.

-Kwok

5. foamflight

foamflight New Member

So this is to protect the parallel port input correct? I havent been able to find much information about the board online... for the price i'm very tempted to try it still just to see if it would work.

6. foamflight

foamflight New Member

I just placed my order for the bonez kit! :D I am so excited to get this party started!

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Royce,
    Thank you for your support and welcome to the Phlatclub! :D
    Mark and Trish

8. TigerPilot

I'm trashing the idea of making one myself and will get this one.

9. foamflight

foamflight New Member

10. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

The 4th axis isn't to control dremel power. It's for a 4th stepper motor. For example, if you wanted to make a cnc hotwire cutter, then that would need 4 steppers. Or, I guess you can use it as a spare channel if one of you driver chips burns out. The relay, I see on the corner of the board, would be what you would use to turn the dremel off. That's a plus, right there, because a separate relay board would cost extra. The relay board from easycnc is $30, but has 2 relays. Unfortunately their manual is a word doc, so I can see any of the pictures.

-Kwok

11. foamflight

foamflight New Member

Okay so I've been thinking... what do you guys think about going with the 7/16ths rod instead of the 1/2in for the y axis? its not that big of a size difference and it seems that 7/16ths is much easier and cheaper to find. what are your thoughts? should I go 1/2in? maybe I just havent found the best source for it though. i'm willing to go 1/2 in if i can find a good source.

Also I'm planning on using acme rod for my z axis, but i dont know if i should use 1 start or any of the other "starts" I am a total nub when it comes to acme rod. also how do you know what "start" a rod is... ebay has this rod http://cgi.ebay.com/3-8-12-thd-3-Lg-Left-Hand-Acme-Threaded-Rod-Nook_W0QQitemZ350288334748QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518ecfcf9c#ht_500wt_956 and Enco has this rod http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=890-9838&PMPXNO=5283712 obviously the enco seems to be a GREAT deal. but is it a very good quality rod and is it going to work with say these http://www.dumpstercnc.com/acme_leadnuts.html Anti-Backlash Lead nuts?
    Its almost ordering time and I want to make sure i'm getting the right things. Thanks!

12. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

foamflight, the decision your making is to build stock, or make a modded printer from the start. i would take my time and evaluate my machining needs. it were me i would just get the dumpster cnc parts, and use the acme screw he lists. me being a idiot monkey re-did 3 times, lols. also you may just go for the "belt mod"... that would be the ticket, as your building the bones kit. the belt will yield very fast rapids....that the screws cannot achieve....so my advice to you would be take your time, read all the fellas build posts, and built what i wanted "the first time". also don't be afraid to ask questions, alot of fellas that buy a phlatprinter have no cnc experience at all, and they have built a printer and cut rc models with great success. welcome to the phlatboyz, take your time and enjoy the machine build. randy.

13. 3DMON

I agree with Randy. I would also like to add that my 7/16" rods sag in the middle which has caused me to buy 5/8" rods (which I still need to install...lol.) I think the reason my rods have sagged as much as they have is because sometimes my y gantry is zeroed more towards the middle and I end up leaving it sit like that (dummy me). This with the weight of the dremel was a no no on my part. I got my 5/8" rods from Enco and if you get one of their coupons you can get either free shipping or a good percentage off. They have all sorts of goodies there.

14. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

foamflight, here's some food for thought:

You asked, should you use 7/16" rod? Heck NO! Buy new, the wimpiest option there is? And you are going to do the belt mod, on top of that. I would do like 3dmon is suggesting and put the biggest thing, I could fit in there. 3dmon also has the belt mod. I would also consider the adjusters, Randy made for his rod ends.

Multi start acme: Randy (rjarois) is the only one, I know of, that has used the multi start acme rod. The thing is, he's got some big steppers to match. You say, you already have the vexta steppers. Randy, can you comment on the stepper size?

I don't know if you have heard of the homemade HDPE acme nuts, as an option? Dorsal is using it on his Z. I think Thewz and Jnida63, also, if you want to ask them about how they perform.

-Kwok

15. foamflight

foamflight New Member

okay so after walking lowes for a while I decided to go with 5/8ths rod for the y axis and 1/2in for the z axis. I now have to figure out the bushings that i'm going to use. I found some from enco. what do you guys think about this one http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=7899383&PMAKA=422-2190 or this one http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=22569059&PMAKA=327-8136 what do you guys think about Polymer Sleeve Bearings? any one have experience with these kind of bushings?

16. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hey foamflight, the rods for the Z shouldn't matter what size you use. They are so short, so I think not critical. Just wanted to mention that.

17. 3DMON

I bought some of those polymer sleeve bushings and they were oversized more than they should have been (very sloppy fit), so I ditched the idea to use them. I would recommend the bronze bushings, or if you have acess to a lathe make some out of hdpe or delrin.

You might want to look at the rods from Enco though as they are precision ground and will be a whole lot smoother.

18. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

The rod for the Phlatprinters are all 01 oil hardened precision ground now :) As are the rods in the Phlatstore. We were getting them from Lowes cold rolled and like 3DMON says there was way too much variation there so we have since the MKII release all rods have been switched.
    Mark

19. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Yes, I am using a homemade ZBN (Zero Backlash Nut) on my Z axis. My Y axis is belt modded. The Z-Axis is much better with the HDPE nut.

Matthew

20. foamflight

foamflight New Member

21. TigerPilot

I give up! Enlighten me please. Why did you decided to go with this, the out dated and less amp TB8435 chip, over the newer and higher amp TB6560? Especially since it is more expensive.

22. foamflight

foamflight New Member

Whoa Tiger. I didn't go with this one. I'm just doing research to help my decision as to which controller I get. I just wanted some input on the options I've found thats all... Thanks

23. foamflight

foamflight New Member

I just saw that I received the build DVD's from Mark and Trish today! I've got a lot of watchin to do :D my bonez kit should be here on wed :D :D :D

24. foamflight

foamflight New Member

Today I received my bonez kit! A day early! woo hoo! :D :D I just ordered the rest of the parts for the build too. I feel like a kid on christmas!

25. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Awesome Royce. Glad to see everything arrived safely! Have fun with your build. We'll be watching for updates.

Mark and Trish