1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

THe world's biggest MK II Mod

Discussion in 'Types of CNC machines' started by crash5050, Jul 4, 2010.

1. crash5050

crash5050 Member

Ok Guys,

here it is, the world's biggest MK II Mod!

2. crash5050

crash5050 Member

After the MOD!!

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:?: How is this an MKII Mod :?: :D
    Cool looking machine David!
    Mark and Trish

4. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

He flipped it upside down, then he removed all the wood and the drive roller, and then he built an aluminum frame under that because the ceiling joists in his shop are farther away than the floor. :lol:

Nice machine Dave,
    I'd like to see those guide rails a little closer, and are they cheaper than precision ground rails and bearings.

Jeff

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

That 8020 extrusion is sure some nice looking stuff, and I'll bet that router bed is incredibly stiff. What motor are you using for the router? That looks like the Hitachi mount I have. :)
    I should be starting on my Joe's 4X4 Hybrid pretty soon and there's going to be some 8020 used in that build also. I just dug another four-feet closer toward it this weekend. :lol:
    I'll be sure to post some photos here when I do. :geek:

6. crash5050

crash5050 Member

Ok, you guys know that the MK II Mod thing was just a joke?

7. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Some of us take our hobby waaay too seriously! :mrgreen:

Now, how would I go about putting this mod on my MK1.5? I think the MDF is similar between the two and then they do both have stepper motors, controllers, and other similar parts....

8. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

What size 8020 is that 10? 15?, 25?

9. crash5050

crash5050 Member

Not sure, I bought it as a kit I know that it has 3030 and 1560 alum. in it.

10. MartinT

MartinT Member

So, what about any sneakpeek/pics of the MarkIII then?

11. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:D I will be posting them soon Martin, just want to get a more complete version we can all look at and come up with ideas.
    I have to say that these gantry style machines are nice, but to be honest there were some things I did not consider when I started running our big machine and I thought I would share them to save someone the aggravations in advance. When you have a bed like this you have to have a spoiler board and you have to change that out pretty often because it gets cut up leaving valleys and canyons all over the board. This makes cutting parts level a chore because the smaller ones want to tilt into the cracks for the cutting pressures. You wont notice this at first but over time and a cut up spoiler board will soon show this and you will wonder why your parts are not coming out nice. The other downside is that you have to clamp your parts in place (usually screw down clams of sorts) That in itself is a pain as you can imagine. Not complaining just stating that these machines are nice but require a lot of extra work that one may not have considered by looking at them.
    One of the nice features of the Phlatprinters, is that you throw your material in and start cutting. Pull it out when your done and that's that. If you are looking into cutting hard woods that may be one thing but for the RC hobby, in my opinion a machine like this is total overkill and excessive work to get a foam/balsa plane kit from. Its just not the right tool for the job.
    Mark and Trish

12. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

I agree, now that mine is modified to an overhead gantry I have no want for this machine. I do want some of that aluminum to build a stand though :D

13. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Mark, I agree with you abut the downfall of the normal gantry machines, that's why I said to you that I will be in the market for a PhlatPrinter with a gantry. I thought from the beginning that the biggest drawback of the MK I and II is that the bit comes up form the bottom and pushes the material up. Now with the MK III that problem will be eliminated and all the other advantages of the PhlalPrinter are kept.