1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

ToxicToast projects

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by ToxicToast, Feb 27, 2010.

1. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Leadfeather Yak

Our club has been holding it's indoor events in a pretty small gym. Tight quarters so there isn't much room for the larger F3P planes like my Morback 34". I needed something that wasn't afraid of the walls and backboards so an EPP plane like Lead's seemed like a good 3D style plane for the venue.

Problem was, I didn't have enough EPP to go around so I supplemented it with some 9mm Depron on the control surfaces. Depron is a bit beefy weight wise, so I set up some pocket milling paths in Enroute and exported the paths back to Sketchup for a phlatscript treatment.

This was my first time cutting EPP on the MK2. I only had one shot at getting it right so I made a foam carrier to try and keep it from drifting. There were a few spots where the milling was off track a bit but all the outside cuts came out perfect. Depron mills beautifully.

Hopefully will show more projects in this thread later.

CHEERS! Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Oooooo! Looks nice!
    I really like the way that pocketing / lettering looks - Great Job! :cool:

3. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

Absolutely brilliant. Excellent pocketing. Nice plane.

Tweakie.

4. MartinT

MartinT Member

Awesome machine! :ugeek:
    It looks like you taped the EPP on top of a sheet of depron,to prevent the skewing, is that correct? (and changed the material thickness in sketchup accordingly before outputting the Gcode)

Cheers,
    Martin

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

That pocketing looks great man!
    To stop any skewing, just use the fences. I use fences on everything I cut now and I don't have any problem at all with skewing. The downside is I have to make sure the sides of the foam or wood are parallel to each other. For that I just use a long aluminum ruler with a knife.

6. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Great job Toxic!!!! That came out sweet, I never thought to try and mill EPP :D I need to make a carrier as well, that seems to work out nice!!! Also, when milling around the letters did you have issues with the pocket cut path, I need to master this technique!!

John

7. ToxicToast

Because the EPP is so flexible, I put in more tabs than I needed because I was afraid that the milling would cause them to drift. Turns out, only the milling skewed and it was not significant to cause me to throw the plane away and start over! In the underside, starboard side wing you can see the carbon channel and the mill pockets converge a bit near the wing tip. Minor but it would be enough of a production block if I were to try and make these for others.

Thanks for the kind comments folks!

8. ToxicToast

Almost ready with an ultralight 3mm Micro YAK (Not Leadfeathers)

23.5" WS, 25" length
    HobbyCity 18-11 2000kv Micro Brushless Outrunner (10g)
    3 4.3g servos
    AR500

Use this to test the pocket milling and calibrate your Z depth. The milling is 1/16th bit and should be 50% of material.

Attached files calibration_3mmDepronMill.skp (8.6 MB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

TT that is going to be sweet!
    What do think your weight will be?
    Mark and Trish

10. ToxicToast

First run prototype. Always generate a laundry list of to-dos. Little tweaks. I think I also found a that I need to calibrate a mm longer in my X as the long cut items are not matching perfectly with the ones oriented the other axis. So something minute is off and it needs to be tweaked.

So far, foam only the airframe is 20.96g. I don't have exact weight savings the milling has provided, but I guess it is in the neighborhood of 8 grams. At any rate it looks cool all milled out.

Glued together with the a little CF and tape hinges it comes to 23.25g.

I'll err on the side of caution with my weight estimates:
    3g for the AR6300 (may have to use a 6400e, 4.5g-finances will delay a 6300 purchase)
    3 x 4.8g
    3g ESC
    12g motor and wires
    25g 2s 360 (the weak point for weight)
    5g for control rods and misc stuff (tape, heat shrink, wires)

So lets say we're probably going end up in the 85g territory...I'll look into other battery options as this will be the best place to clean up the weight.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. kram242

:shock: That is outstanding! Great job ToxicToast!
    Mark and Trish

12. ToxicToast

13. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Looks Awesome Toxic :) Man, that thing will come in under 4oz for sure !!!

John

14. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

I love it ! :D Great work Toxic !! :mrgreen:

15. ToxicToast

Success, Failure.

I've spent hours making minor tweaks and experimental changes to the micro yak. Trying to make it builder friendly and what-not. During the course of assembly, I found at least 20 things I wanted to change about how it came together and should be. Finally decided to cut today and I thought, "what the heck, spray some paint on it before milling some of the parts. That should be neat"

Dug out a can of Testors and coated the foam nicely. Some of the best rattle-can for foam models, clean a smooth but pricey. Let it air dry for an hour or so... Then began the milling of all the horizontal parts (hey, that should be SWEET!)

Doh. The paint acted like a vinyl skin and gunked up on the 1/16 chipper. It looks like puke :oops: Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

ToxicToast, i have done simular work....i cut out the model, and then used cheap water based air-brush paint....except i used a 4in. roller with a not so wet roller....the results were rather nice in my opinion. give it a try. randy.

17. ToxicToast

Awesome suggestion, Randy. Got any photos?

I'm out of 3mm depron at this point. LHS has some, and I've got an order for a case coming from RCFoam.com soon.... Pick some up tomorrow night and give it a whirl then!

18. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

Hey TT, that sure does look familar. I get the same issue when customers need me to work on parts that are already powder coated. I think the problem is two parts. First is the paint doesn't bond to the substrate as well as we need it to. Second is how sharp the mill is. I notice when I have to cut coated parts, with a new mill they cut very clean, but as soon as it starts to dull just a little the paint starts to tear.

Lucky for me I can just run a deburr tool around it and I'm good.

19. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

this is a sample piece i cut for some fella in the rc zone...he was asking people about milling pockets in depron with the phlatprinter....i threw a lil paint on to visually enhance the pockets...i didnt take any time to clean up the foam for painting like i should have....i was just trying to show off the pockets in this sample piece. i can say that the painting process worked well thou.randy.
    [​IMG]

20. ToxicToast

Awesome Randy! I'm getting a flying version ready first but I will give your method a try and hope for better results than my first attempt.

Cheers!

21. ToxicToast

22. kram242

Good techniques toxic toast thank you for sharing these.
    On the PhlatSTANG's I do a 85% line cut and then a 10% score cut and then compare the two
    The 85% line is the first cut to take place so right away I know if th depth is to deep.
    Nice CD tray too, thank you for sharing
    Mark and Trish

23. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Cool stuff man.
    This pocket stuff sure is cool.

24. ToxicToast

Total AUW with ThunderPower 2S 250 = 84.9g, a hair under 3oz.

Maiden was done in 2mph winds yesterday. Flew great and the wife shot a bit of video but I need more to edit highlights. Flew without carbon x-brace knowing that it was going to be needed (simple wing tip balancing revealed it). The HXT 2000kv motor performed great with hover punch out at 75% throttle. Flew very straight and true with only a click of elevator up to keep the nose up. Very responsive throws, especially the ailerons. Not at all wild and squirly which is nice and an 8 minute or so flight time with room to spare on the battery.

It didn''t feel too heavy, like the UM 4site does, but I feel there is some improvement in the weight I'd like to make on the next iteration.

Possibly 2.5g servos, a bit more milling (yes!) an AR6400, possibly eliminate the carbon wing spar with trussing, and replacing conectors and shortening some leads. Would love to get it down to the 70gram class and think it is possible. Perhaps switching to a pull pull set up would also work and save about 4g? Lots of options to get the weight down. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. ToxicToast