1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

TriCopter, QSC Style

Discussion in 'Multi-copter/Helicopter Plans' started by Crash, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Okay, so after seeing a LOT of fascinating videos on YouTube and reading VOLUMES of threads over over at RCGroups, I decided that I just had to build a TriCopter. I am not the greatest of pilots when it comes to helicopters (and let's face it, Tri's are basically helicopters), but from all that I've read and all that I've seen, it seems that these little beasts are actually easier to fly that full-blown helicopters (just what I need!). In addition to being an interesting type of aircraft to play around with, they also seem to be very stable platforms for FPV (First Person View) and AP (Aerial Photography).

I had an opportunity to make purchase of the Parrot by ARDrones not too long ago, but I just couldn't see turning loose of about $300 dollars to get one (it kind of seemed like too much of a "toy" to me). I thought to myself "there just has to be a way to get a multi-rotor aircraft flying for less than $300!". I've already authored a couple of airplane designs that I called "QSC's", meaning that they were Quick-building utilizing Simple build methods, and were easy on the old wallet (Cheap!). I decided to see if I could work up a QSC Tri that I could share with the masses so that other aspiring Multi-Rotor pilots could engage in this madness, too, but without breaking the bank.

What you see here are the results of my experiment. I have to give special thanks to my friend John, as he has helped me IMMENSELY in learning the electronics side of the flight stabilization system, as well as providing the plans for a very nice starter platform as the airframe is concerned. In fact, John will be helping me with documentation (articles, diagrams, and videos) so that we can share what we've learned in this side of the RC Hobby.

For this first version of the TriCopter, I estimate having somewhere between $225 - 250 invested (not bad since I wanted to beat that $300 that the Parrot would have cost). I decided to use the MultiWii Flight Stabilization System rather than four gyros, which added a little more to the price of the project, but is really worth those extra coins (we'll be delving into this system significantly in the coming days and weeks)!

Following are the basic specifications of my TriCopter:

Motors: TowerPro 2410-09 Outrunners (3)

Props: GWS 10x4.7 SlowFly Props (3)

ESC's: HK 25 Amp SS Series (3)

Battery: 3s2200 Lipos, 25C

Receiver: HK Orange Box DSM2 with Satellite Antenna

BEC: Castle Creations 10 Amp

Flight Stabilization: Arduino Pro Mini, custom Wii Interconnect Board, Gyros from Wii Motion Plus, Accelerometer from Wii Nunchuck

Airframe Materials: 2 sheets of 12" x 24" 1/8" Birch Ply (from Michael's Craft Store), 1/2" x 5/8" aluminum C-channel (got it from Lowe's)

Now let me say up front, this setup is not going to be your optimal combination for hanging a big ol' camera or FPV system on it. Remember, the QSC project is all about providing an inexpensive and simple platform for learning to fly these crazy machines. Again, money can be saved by using four inexpensive gyros instead of the Flight Stabilization System I used (FSS, for short), but by going the FSS route, you'll save yourself lots of headaches (wiring the four gyros and setting up the gains properly is a feat in itself!).

While this combination of materials is not really capable of carrying a lot of extra weight in cameras, it WILL work perfectly fine if your idea of Aerial Photography is in line with the use of small keychain cameras and units like the FlyCamOne. If you want to carry a heavier payload, then all you really need to change for more power are the motors and battery. I hope to have some good "real world" data for you soon on viable power system combinations.

When it comes to flying this flavor of Multi-Rotor, I found the experience to be quite pleasurable (remember now that I have NEVER flown one of these before). To quote my buddy John, "it's kind of somewhere between a coaxial helicopter (like a CX2) and a VERY stable Collective Pitch helicopter". Flight times are somewhere between 6 and 8 minutes (I think, as I have yet to remember to time my flights! LOL).

This system truly is a lot of fun and is a great bang for the buck! As soon as John and I get the files finalized, I'll upload them here some my fellow PhlatClub members can enjoy the fun!

EDIT: Note that I have decided that the "QSC TriCopter" will be the subject of this year's "Crash's Scratch-Build Club". Please note that with all of the work that will have to be done on this project, I'll be posting all of the instructional data on this project on my personal site http://www.AllThingsCrash.com . However, I certainly wouldn't want to leave my Phlat-brethren behind, so I'll be posting my complete file package right here so that you guys can cut out your Tri on your Phlatties! Please skip down to my next post in this thread for the good stuff!

Please note that the pictures you see below were of my FIRST Tri, and I have significantly simplified the project to allow so that our non-PhlatClub members can participate in the fun. That being said, please treat the pictures below as the prototype information that they are.

Here's my video and some pictures:

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] h:300px" /> [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:fantastic: This is going to be an AWESOME project Mike and John!
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

3. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Mr. Crash, saw one of these fly the other day. It was not exactly or probably not even close to your design, but it was very interesting and I found it fascinating. Now, of course, I sort of have the bug, but do not know where to start on it or exactly how it all comes together. I hope you have success with yours and hope you keep us all posted. Great job!

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

4. Crash

Okay, here's my complete file package!

This design requires two 12" x 24" x 1/8" pieces of Lite Ply (although Birch Ply will fit the bill nicely - it will just add about 3 ounces to the finished model). I have it set up for the 1/16" PhlatBit and it runs nicely on my PhlatPrinter 3 at 30 IPM with depth passes at 0.035" (four passes total).

Be sure to check out my podcast as we'll be showing you how to do everything on this project, including recommended electronics and a great DIY Flight Stabilization System! Attached files [​IMG] Tri_QSC.zip (1.2 MB)Â

5. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Mike! Looks really good :dance3:

6. kram242

WOW nice job MIKE! :doubleup:
    This looks awesome!
    Can't wait to get it flying!
    Mark and Trish

7. jovian

jovian Member

Looks sweet. I am gonna have to try one of these out. So many things I want to get into now I dont possibly have enough time or money to do them all at once.

8. Crash

Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to the first QSC TriCopter cut on the PhlatPrinter 3!!

Attached files [​IMG]

9. kram242

:banger: Mike that looks awesome! I can't wait to follow along with this cool project.
    you guys got me hooked! :D
    Mark and Trish

10. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

nice work mike..... looks very lite also. randy.

11. Crash

QSC TriCopter Videos are now live at www.AllThingsCrash.com ! Build an airframe with us!

12. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

I have a couple of tips when you purchase materials. I went out yesterday and to get the plywood at Hobby Lobby. They only had one sheet so I went to Michaels for the other sheet. Michaels price was $3.99. Hobby Lobby sells it for $6.99 so if you have a Michaels close, you might want to get it there. My local hobby shop was selling 1/8" aircraft plywood for $17.99 in the 1'x2' sheet. Not quite sure why since the 1'x1' sheet was $4.99. So call and get prices before you go.

My LHS has the Great Planes hardware kits on a rack and sells a #4-40 blind bolt set (4ea 1-1/4" bolt, 4ea tee nuts, 4ea lock washer, 4ea flat washer, and an allen wrench) for $1.99. The Great Planes part number is GPMQ3505. When I priced out the hardware at the hardware store it was as pricey or more and the only 4-40 screws that were 1-1/4" were brass.

Du-Bro has the collars in a package of 2. Catalog No. 244. This package of 2 was less than one collar at the hardware store.

Not sure if Mike mentioned the Great Planes Ball Link part number in the video, but it is GPMQ3840. Du-Bro has a Swivel Ball Link one as well Catalog No. 367. It is a little different from the Great Planes, but should work pretty well.

One other thing, when I picked up the square dowels at Lowes, many of them were not square (1/32-1/16 off). Take a tape measure along (or borrow one from the tools section) and make sure they are square.

Hope this helps,
    Tim

13. Crash

Thanks for the info there, Tim! I have been working this project at the speed of light and clearly should have included more info. You rock, dude!

14. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Glad I could help Mike. You and John are carrying the heavy load here and I really appreciate all the work you guys have put into it. I know this is a work in progress and so things will be added and changed. I also know that you like to provide high quality product and would have eventually added this so now you can spend that time dreaming up the next great project for us. ;)

15. Crash

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this - Super Lite Hot-Rod TriCopter for a friend. Pics to follow!

Here's a pic of the dry-fit. Do you think Bob is gonna like it? :D Attached files [​IMG]

16. kram242

It looks great Mike! :good:
    Do you know what how much weight you saved by cutting the holes?
    Nice job!
    Mark and Trish

17. Crash

Because I was worried about strength with this much lightening, I cut it out of 1.8" birch ply instead of light ply.

The Birch "QSC Style" airframe (the center section portion) weighs 8 ounces

The Lite Ply "QSC Style" airframe is 5 ounces

This Birch "Lightened Variant" weighs 6 ounces

18. kram242

Cool Mike thanks for the update, I am trying out the 1/8th lite ply and it seems to cut really well :good:
    I watched the latest video you guys made with John doing the electronics on the way over to Aunt Helen's house today and it was fantastic! Very easy to follow and lays it all out for you
    Well done guyz :doubleup:
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

19. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Got my QSC TriCopter fuselage completed including the servo mount and all the wire extensions on the ESCs. I took the WM+ and Nunchuk apart and soldered them together (and extended the wires per John's instructions). Need to fab the power harness and solder the wiring to the Arduino. Hopefully, I can finish it up tonight.

Tim

20. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

OK. After hours of soldering(*) I have my stabilization system (FSS) complete and working sort of. I have no idea why, but the MultiWii V1.6 firmware does not seem to be functioning. When I upload it to the Arduino Pro Mini board and then launch the configurator, it will not read. If I upload V1.7, it works fine. From what I understand, there may still be a few bugs in V1.7 and I would rather be running V1.6 since that is what John shows in the QSC videos and the V1.7 configurator is a little different. Anyone have any suggestions? I have re-downloaded the files from the Google code page. I have also re-flashed the Arduino several times. I have also rebooted. The problem with V1.6 may be in the configurator software and it may actually be working fine on the FSS itself, but I don't know how to tell if that is the case.

(*) IMHO, buy get the board Mike and John have designed. The whole thing will be a lot cleaner and simpler.

Tim

21. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I'm using 1.7preter(the latest) and am very happy with it. Here is a good post on using 1.7 that I ran across last night. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17490850&postcount=9587

Yesterday I got a chance to fly my wii tricopter with tons of success. My tri is quick simple and cheap but it's not the QSC. I had my frame done before Mike showed this one. The Wii components are original and is why I was able to cut the Nunchuk board in half.

Here are some pics and a little video clip my friend took with his Iphone. It's hard to see but I got a couple of flips in the beginning of the clip. These things are so easy to fly, especially compared to trying the standard gyro one.

Thanks Mike and John! I watched the vids and read an awful lot of info and now it all makes better sense.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Your tri looks great Shaun. It looks like it flies well too. I especially like the board mounting.

It's funny you mention cutting the nunchuk board in half. I asked Mike about that yesterday and he wasn't sure if anyone had done it successfully so I was thinking about trying it out. Are you saying that the knockoff nunchuk boards may not be able to be cut?

If I can't get 1.6 going, I guess I will have to go with 1.7. I'll try out 1.7preter tonight.

Thanks,
    Tim

23. 3DMON

That is right. Do not cut the clone NK boards. The original ones are fine though.

24. 3DMON

Hey Navion,
    You know now I am not 100% sure. I just read on the rcgroups forum that a guy who had an original NK cut his and it didn't work, so now I'm not sure about this.

I know mine works fine but I looked at the traces before I cut it to make sure I wasn't disconnecting a trace from another that it was suppose to be connected to.

I you post pics of the top and bottom of your NK board I can tell you.

25. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Shaun,
    I'm pretty sure that the NK board I have is the same as yours (real Nintendo). I would post pics, but it's glued to my tri-copter right now. I looked at the traces on my board and it looks like there are no connections that are supposed to be connected.

I finally got it to flyable tonight. :dance3: I was out in the driveway with it at 11:45pm in the garage lights. I need to do some adjusting on the rear motor tilt, but it wants to fly. I also need to charge my batteries.

I did have one challenge with the setup. The rear motor wouldn't run. The ESC would arm, but when I pushed the yaw stick to the left, the front motors would run but the back one wouldn't. I finally upped the minthrottle setting to 1190 from 1120 and it worked (software V1.7preter). I am thinking the ESC needs to be set for high and low throttle settings but I'm having trouble finding the procedure. I need to dig through the RCG thread and see if someone has posted there (unless someone takes pity on me and posts a link).

edit: All up weight including battery is 52oz.

Tim