1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Using Sharpie Markers - Advanced Tutorial

Discussion in 'Line Drawings Sharpie Art' started by Flashsolutions, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Here is yet another tutorial from FlashSolutions, this one is on the subject of using the Sharpie Marker to create mirror imaged artwork.

In the tutorial, I use Cambam and Sketchup to create the GCode because Sketchup does not have a decent pocket plugin.

Sketchup is a bit old school when it comes to handling offsets, so I have discovered I can achieve better results by using Cambam instead.

The project I picked for this tutorial is a Micro Flying Surfer Dude, for whom, Dude was replaced by none other than Bart Simpson.

The tutorial focuses on drawing Bart with a three color set of Sharpie Markers. We color both sides of Bart and cut out the finished artwork using our Phlatprinter CNC machine.

I had a difficult time getting the video made for some reason. It kept crashing my computer, so the tutorial is in two parts, otherwise, it would have all been contained in one video.

Here is part one....

And Part two....
    Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Double sided! Very cool Flash :good: great job on this tutorial.
    I don't have Cambam but I do have Meshcam that I can try with the pockets.
    Do you own Meshcam? I though in an older post you said you did. If so is there a reason why you didn't use it instead of Cambam?
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

3. Flashsolutions

I did buy a copy of Meshcam which I will use for 3D meshes, but for simple line art tools, I prefer to use Cambam. Each program has its advantages and disadvantages. Sketchup comes close to having everything you need, but falls short on pocketing due to the handling of offsets.

Cambam has a trial version which I can install using Sandboxie (http://sandboxie.com/). When I am done with it, I can delete it and re-install later on to restore my trial. If I do end up using it often, I will purchase it, but for now, I am just experimenting with different tools to see what works best and for doing pockets, this works better than any other tool that I have found so far.

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff Larry! If only we could get a pocket plugin to use the inside cut tools offset algorithm then this would be easy for Sketchup.

5. Flashsolutions

I have a pocket plugin for Sketchup. The problem is that it uses the offset tool of Sketchup which does a really poor job. Until the offset tool is made to work better, there is not much one can do short of manually creating pocket lines.

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

That is why I wrote what I wrote. :D The inside cut tools offset is not the same as the Sketchup offset. Tim (Gasmasher) implemented a better offset algorithm for the inside cut tool.

7. Flashsolutions

Ahhh! I did not know that. Maybe one of the Ruby Gurus can find a way to create a better pocket tool using Tims methods...