1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Vought F4U Corsair (Full Fuse 50 WS)

Discussion in 'WarBirds' started by tvcasualty, Dec 14, 2008.

1. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Build thread for this great plane is found here:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947842
    on rcgroups

There's some video in there as well.

Things to note:
    The skp file is a bit messy, no g-code as the stuff I used was for 1/16" bit, will work fine for 1/8, feel free to upload.

The original incidence angle was a bit too steep, and while the plane files fine (see youtube video) it is not actual scale and more efficency can be obtained by using the corrected parts. the corrected parts sit to the right of the four panels if you choose to use them.

Have fun building, and please post some pics!

My final AUW weight ended up at 36Oz Attached files [​IMG] F4U - Master.zip (1.6 MB)Â [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

You rock thank you for bring this over here! Great job

3. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

:D Got another really nice shot for ya's

Attached files [​IMG]

4. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Just watched the video, looks like a great ship. Congrats on a great build.

5. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

tv great lookin model bud.....i think it took away attention from marks phlatprinters sittin ther, lols. good to meet you and your wife. randy.

6. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

:D I was standin there when a guy pointed to my 38 and asked Mark if he was sellin it or the pp, lol I wanted to ask him how much he'd give me! :)

I should be able to make the Sunday show, I'll be sure to stop by for a while to bs

7. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I'm looking to drum up some intrest over here for doing a group build lead over on rcgroups.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947842

Myself and RogueTitan (Mike) will be leading this build.
    I would like to get at least 5 people building this bird to warrant myself building another one at this point. Mike isn't a Phlatboy yet, but maybe we can convert him? :D

Also I thought I'm mention Derek_S over there who is working towards a P-39 Aircobra in a manner very similar to how I make my birds. His model looks promissing. It's all in that F4U thread on RCG, check it out!

For this build you will need the foam, 3 servos, a 150-200g Motor, 1/16-1/8"ply, some push rods, hinge pins, and some thread. Control horns will be made from various materials. I will show how to make a foam canopy that can be used as a vacuum former mold, or I will be willing to make a small run on parts for intreasted parties for a small fee.

Let us know if you want a corsair and join the build!

8. kram242

This sounds like it will be a lot of fun Erik!! Wish I had the time to join you guys on this one.. some day soon I hope :)
    Have fun guys we look forward to your pics and post
    Mark

9. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Thanks Mark, too bad you can't join in, I expect it to be a lot of fun! :)

10. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I need to find time to do this one....the F4U is my favorite WWII fighter. Ever since I watched the "Black Sheep Squadron" on TV as a kid I loved this plane!

11. kram242

I know it will be, but I have a sneaky suspicion there will be more of these ;)
    Have a great time guys, please post some build photos it will be nice to check them out and learn from :)
    Thanks
    Mark

12. RogueTitan

RogueTitan New Member

Sorry I don't get over here much guys but I thought this thread deserves a bump for this is going to be one fantastic group build. I know it does look like a tough build but it really is not once you get started. I will be making a few video tutorials on the fabrication process but I am going to leave it to TVC for all the real technical stuff.

Oh and yes I am most definitely wanting to upgrade my Armstrong Xacto for a Phlat Printer :mrgreen: just kind of out of reach at the moment due to lack of funds, I am sure you guys can sympathize with that.
    However my services are available that you can send me one of these phlat printers to do a full write up review of this incredible machine on all the RC forums :mrgreen:

13. kram242

RogueTitan, I agree, this is going to be a really fun project and after talking with Erik about the build he told me that it goes together like a dream! I am looking forward to seeing these builds
    Mark

14. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

In case you missed it, more builders are still welcome!

Attached files [​IMG]

15. kram242

Erik that is beautiful! How did you make that engine?!
    Well done my brother, you have taken it to another level that's for sure.
    Truly looks like a work of art
    Mark

16. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

WOW! Beautiful Eric..... How many more threads am I going to have to come in and tell what fantastic work you do. This is wonderful.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

17. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I just wanted to point out some, perhaps dull, logic to my dear friends on this board.
    This is the logic of capitalism and American innovation when allowed to prosper under free markets.

Mark and Trish have come forth and produced a product at a relatively low cost, which has allowed many of us relatively wealthy Americans to realize our dreams of producing high dollar R/C products out of our own homes. Yet this innovation and real wealth and knowledge is not squandered away…

This Corsair was the first airplane I had made with my pp, and it’s fair to say its design was based on the idea of others being able to make it based on that principle. Depending on the success of my design I would perhaps consider the future of such an idea to be marketable.

Since that time, there are currently 7 people signed up to build my corsair from around the world. 5 people are actively building, sharing, and evolving the design beyond what I had ever intended. At least one other has built my machine, and none of these models have been built with the original pp.

This is the direct measurable result of our great Republic that I’m sure every American can understand and by this nature it is appreciated by the rest of the world.

A huge Thanks! goes out to Mark and Trish as well as everyone else on here who help realize the dream!

18. kram242

Erik you hit the nail on the head. This is a sure sign that this entire project has completed the loop and can now truly start. Being able to see this happen from the start of your corsair design as a mile marker on this path is truly exciting to say the least.
    This is a group effort put forth by everyone who not only believes in themselves but also took the leap to believe in our dreams as well.
    It mean so much to us to know that you guys back us and help to make this project as great as it is.
    We promise to do our best to keep this a growing and thriving community for the Phlatboyz projects and all creative minds.
    Thank you all.
    Mark and Trish

19. RogueTitan

RogueTitan New Member

Mark and Trish I don't have a Phlat printer yet but my goal is to have one set up and functioning in the very near future

20. kram242

RogueTitan,
    That is great news, thank you!
    We look forward to welcoming you to the Phlatclub and working together on many cool ideas and design into the future! :D
    Mark and Trish

21. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

@TV, I downloaded the skp file from rcg. I chose the one linked to from post 1. My questions are a) I thought I read in a build log on your site that you decided the servos mounted in the elevator and rudder are not such a good idea. If this is correct, should I just fill in the spots for them and then generate code? B) I read somewhere in the thread that I should use the corrected parts, but as I look at the file all I see is parts laid out ready to be cut. I expected to see parts off to the side. Have I missed somethig?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but I am hoping to have half a chance to build a bird half as exquisite as yours!

Also did you use 1/4 fff for the entire build or is the skin thinner?

22. swim93

swim93 New Member

DAD!!! (cncmachineguy) lol
    are you gonna build one of these?
    im really excited now cause this build looks awesome! :)

23. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

This is the plane that drove me to take the plunge and buy Rosie.

24. swim93

swim93 New Member

well yeah but you haven't talked about this plane much since you got Rosie.

25. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Man I keep missing posts!! :cry:
    Sorry for the slow response.
    Here is a link to the latest on-line file:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=21
    ...that file should clear things up a bit.

I have another file I am going to host off my webpage very soon here that should clean things up a bit more.

And yes, entire fuse is designed for 1/4" foam.

:mrgreen:
    Can't wait to see some pics!