1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

What is possible?

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by hodgeswalt, Jul 7, 2010.

1. hodgeswalt

hodgeswalt New Member

I am a new member to this forum. I was initially led here by the thought of acquiring the phlatprinter to assist me in creating and constructing foamy planes. I am still very interested in purchasing the printer.

I need a "howto" or "Guide to converting an idea into a SketchUp drawing." I assume that the posts in the forum will lead me into printing and troubleshooting the design — or is that something else I need to research? Is there a Phase 1 or a Step 1 intro available?

Yesterdays readings led me to some posts about converting PDF based plans into SketchUP drawings. Where does the concept of "Slots" and "Tabs" enter into the design phase?

I apologize for so many questions, but my skill in formulating search queries seems to not find answers to my questions.

Looking forward to you suggestions if you would be so kind as to direct me in creating plans for construction.

Respectfully,

Walt Hodges

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello Walt and welcome to the Phlatforum! :D
    There are a lot of good RC plane video tutorials here to get you started with Sketchup and RC plane designs viewtopic.php?f=94&t=60

Take you time and you will have Sketchup mastered in no time. My approach was to try and learn a tool a night and after the videos here I had a great understanding of Sketchup's workings. I recommend going through these videos first.
    These are the videos http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos.html
    Hope this helps
    Mark and Trish

3. hodgeswalt

hodgeswalt New Member

Thanks for the link.

I will be going to google.com this evening.

Walt

4. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Walt! The tab and slot concept can be add practically anywhere on your model but are usually placed around the perimeter of a part (fuse sides, fuse top, bottom, rudder). I, and this is just my method, like to complete my model in SU and then add the tabs and slots.

You will find that the tab and slot method makes the construction of a model much easier as it makes part alignment precise and and all but eliminates the chance for error.

Dive in head first! SU may look intimidating but as you learn you will quickly see how easy and powerful it really is. YOU CAN DO IT!

5. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Hey Walt! I just kept tinkering and screwing up bad. All you do is restart and hit it again. You can't hurt anything. learn the few hot keys needed but not required to make things happen without even thinking about it. ;)