1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Whats wrong with this drawing

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by Ringo Davis, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Ringo Davis

Ringo Davis Member

When I generate the CNC code for this file the outside cut for the horizontal stab on the bottom right doesn't show up. The outline looks fine to me. What am I missing? I've had this happen before but it was on more complicated drawings and I had an area smaller than the bit or something. I don't see that here.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. mrjoshua

mrjoshua New Member

Ringo Davis,
    I just had this very same issue today, while working on some ply formers. TigerPilot pointed out that the corners of my 1/16" wide slots were not square (with the X and Y axis). Here are the steps I took: flatten the piece again, redraw all straight lines, redraw 90 degree corners and flatten again. Once I did this the outside cut showed up on gplot. Here is the thread that may explain it better. http://www.phlatforum.com/xenforo/threads/odd-lines-when-making-outside-cut.5164/#post-38903

3. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

The problem is that the top and bottom slots are not parallel by just enough to trick the offsetter into creating 'spurs' (offsetting an outline turns out to be a very hard geometry problem, even the built in Sketchup one sucks, the TIG:Smartoffset tool is better but sometimes fails, and our own one is pretty good but is not perfect). OR the slots are so close to the cutter dimension that Sketchup thinks they are equal, it compares values to within 0.001".

The spurs ensure that the cut line is not a continuous loop, which prevents the face being created between the cut line and the part.
    delete those little spurs and draw a line or two between the cutline and the part and you get a face between the cutline and the part, one you have a face delete the extra line, and then you get Gcode.
    skerror.jpg this shows one of the spurs

skerr2.jpg after fixing by deleting the spurs, then drawing a line from the cutline to the part to create a face, then select that face, right click and select Phlat Edge|Hole Texture. not sure the last bit is necessary but i did it anyway.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  4. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

peculiar thing..... I reloaded your original file in Sk2015 with Sketchucam 1.3a.
    selected your faulty cut line and deleted it, applied an outside cut and get a perfect cutline, face, and perfect Gcode.

my Sketchup 2015 is version 15.3.331 64 bit
    Sketcucam 1.3a (of course, the latest release, not that it has any changes to the offsetter, but the pocket tool does now use the good offsetter).

5. Ringo Davis

Ringo Davis Member

Thanks guys. I deleted the short part of the slot and redrew it and it worked fine. Guess I didn't zoom in enough to see it. I know the trick about the slot being the same size as the cutter, made that mistake before.