1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Who said that there is no such thing as a dumb question??

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by foamflight, Dec 2, 2009.

1. foamflight

foamflight New Member

So I have been searching all throughout the forum and have yet to see my questions answered clearly, oh I haven't yet purchased the phlatprinter but I am planning on getting the phlatbones kit very soon.
    1. Can someone tell me what ill need and how to do a belt drive mod on the Y axis. I have seen some basic info on it however since I do not have a phlatprinter yet I don't really know too much about the setup or the terms. I would like to do this mod as I am first building the kit, would this be a good idea? or should I just do the standard build?
    2. What other mods would be good for a first time builder? it seems that everyone has made their own mods, but there is no list of the essential ones. I noticed that the posts with mods that have been done on the machine are not at all for the CNC newbie, could someone create either a document or a post with a step by step guide to some of the essentials? I want to start off my build with all the mods that are possible. thanks for any help!! Royce

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

foamflight, i think the belt drive would be a very good idea...speed, smoothness...as far as any of the mods being "essential" i really don't think any of them are...best thing to do is to review the material in the mod section. also i would do the weight or spring roller mod. with the intended use of the printer, the stock machine will also be fine. when you review the mod pages, you will see a big variety of mods, building techniques, etc....you can truly build it anyway you like. also you will soon see you will have allot of support from the phlatboyz. welcome to the forum. randy.

3. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Randy, very nicely said.

foamflight, the belt mod for the original Phlatprinter was a kit that one of the Phlat Club members was selling. Unfortunately, that kit is no longer available. To my knowledge, no one has attempted the full mod on their own. Actually, we did it very early on which actually was the birth of the MK II. But, our Original Phlatprinter was no longer a nice unit (if I remember correctly, the front cover was off permanently and I believe there were pliers hanging out of the cabinet, lol). We really rigged it for testing.

As far as the mods not being for CNC beginners, if you were to ask around, the majority of Phlatprinter owners had no CNC experience before purchasing their Phlatprinter Kits. It really is amazing how much you learn from building the Phlatprinter which is why we don't sell already built units.

Unfortunately, there really isn't a step by step guide to Phlatprinter mods but that is a great idea. Maybe we will work on that in the future. We could put together a one stop Phlat mod shop :)

Mark and Trish

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Welcome to the quest, foamflight,
    Many of us have posted photos of the mods we did on our machines. Just look through the topics at viewforum.php?f=107 and you can pick those threads out fairly quickly. One thing you should notice very quickly is that most of us just hacked away until it worked the way we wanted - that includes everybody except Randy - rjarois
    , I think. ;)

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I would say the must do mods are 1) bronze bushing 2)cheap ACME threaded rod to replace the all thread. They offer the best improvements for the monetary investment. Also, I would make the top of the Y gantery removable so you can remove the Z, if you ever need to. I posted some pictures of what I did, but can't find them right now.

I think 1 person did do the belt mod completely on his own, 3dmon? I don't think it is that hard to do. Guess it depends on how confident you are, about hacking up my machine. You can get the belt parts from Mark & Trish, and I am sure people will offer you tips.

-Kwok

6. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

The belt drive mod can be quite simple if you move the stepper and pulley block to the outside of the cabinet instead of trying to package everything inside of it.

A simple pulley block can be made from MDF, a 1/4" shaft, two 1/4" inside race bearings, a piano hinge, adjustment screw, and a pulley (from M&T). A Drill, Dremel or table saw can be used to fashion the MDF pulley block.

Two slots in the main cabinet would need to be cut to allow the belt to exit and return. A belt connector attaches the belt to the gantry and a hole must be cut in the gantry to allow the back side of belt to run thru it. Again, a Dremel can be used for slotting the MDF.

Outboard the stepper... Again, MDF is a good source to fashion a mounting method for the stepper. It is possible to keep the stepper on the inside of the cabinet, but it is tight quarters. If you outboard the stepper, you would have to add slots to allow the belt in and out of the cabinet for rounding the stepper pulley.

The mod just requires some common sense and careful consideration of where to make the slots in the sides of the cabinet so that the belt runs clear of it, but it is not all that difficult if you have a few general shop skills. Attached files [​IMG]

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Just to let you know, We plan on revisiting the original Phlatprinter design soon, with some new addons and features. At this point its a matter of time for getting the big machine up and running after it comes in.
    So there will be new exciting features to look forward to on each design with us having control over the prototyping in house :)
    Mark

8. foamflight

foamflight New Member

Wow, thank you guys so much for the help. Flashsolutions, thanks for that picture, it really helped me visualize the idea for the design. I will definitely be doing that y axis belt mod, it just seems like the smart thing to do. I cant wait to begin this new area of rc design! I am very much done with paper templates... Royce

9. foamflight

foamflight New Member

One more request, could some of you guys with the belt mod please post some pictures of your machines? there are only a few pictures that I've been able to find here, but it would be nice to get some more insight from what people have done. Thanks guys!

10. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

11. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

foamflight, from the very start, alot of fellas kinda figured the 1/4-20 x and z axis screws, wile working good, was so painfully slow....it would take a long time to cut a file.....dorsal "dennis" and some other fellas had the idea of acme screws, as ther used in bigger cnc equipment...it was quickly realized that this was the way to go...then along came mark and trish's belt drive, and bigger performance gains... my printer is built with very coarse pitch acme threaded screws. wile not as fast as the belt drives, i think its a good option, with respectable rapids..."350ipm all axis"...if you decide not to use belt on the y and z axis, look into the acme screws for sure.... randy.

12. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I am a firm believer in a belt drive. It was what drove the X axis on the original machine and worked extremely well and does to this day.

The problem with the Y belt drive mod simply boiled down to the designer not wanting to hack up the phlatprinter any more than necessary. In so doing, compromises were made that resulted in a poor installation and problems for those who attempted it.

Had the mod been open for discussion like most other mods, I think a more workable solution would have come about, but that is water under the bridge.

Outboarding the drive pulley has worked very well for me. My stepper is still mounted inside the cabinet, but it too could be outboarded fairly easy. Slotting the cabinet is the most difficult part and requires a Dremel or some kind of tool to route openings for the belt to enter and leave the pulley and or stepper (if outboarded).

I have been able to achieve rates of 1200ipm using the belt drive, but for all practical purposes, this is way too fast. I have settled in for a more comfortable 500ipm which I only use for rapidly moving from part to part. I still slow my feed rate down to 130ipm for cutting most foam.

Acme thread is probably the easiest way to go. You really don't need speeds that are going to bust the cabinet if something goes a foul.

The belt drive mod is not for everyone. It takes a fair amount of hacking to accomplish, but it is doable.

Once M&T get their new CNC operation going, I see no reason why a workable belt drive mod could not be produced fairly easy. Some cutting/marking templates for the sides of the cabinet and some simple MDF pulley blocks and stepper housing could be whipped out in no time and a kit produced that would actually work.

So my recommendation is to wait for a kit. If M&T produce it, you can be sure it will be top quality and work first time. It is just the way they do business.

13. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

14. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Bushings, linear rods and MPJA steppers