1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

X axis and Mach setup

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Build Support' started by ToxicToast, Jun 5, 2011.

1. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

OK, this one has me scratching my head. I think I remember seeing a thread here about this but I can't seem to locate it.

P3 works great under USBCNC. MK2 works great on Mach.

I tried setting the P3 to use Mach today to try and troubleshoot the probs I've had with USBCNC and backlash.

Tested the MK2 and parallel cable and ran a few lines of code/jogged the axes around. Still working nicely.

Using the same parallel cable, disconnected the MK2 and connected it to the P3, bypassing the USBCNC card. Loaded up some settings from the disc and set up a new profile for Mach/Phlatprinter 3. Ran some tests. Everything works at a basic level, however the X axis rolls the same way no matter which way I jog it. Couldnt get it working in Mach, so I reconnected everything back up to see if I damaged something and all was good.

So, what reason would it be that P3+Parallel+Mach=fail when MK2+Parallel+Mach=works?

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

That is a strange one Chris
    In our experience what you are describing usually means a loose connection (stepper) or a bad parallel cable. But if you have that same cable working on one machine then thats out.
    The only other thing I am thinking it could be is your pins assigned wrongly for your axis.
    Regardless of the settings on the disc, I would double check those pin assignments and compare them to your MKII pin setup.
    Hope this helps
    Mark and Trish

3. ToxicToast

Yes, I agree that wires would be suspect. Yet it works fine when I plug in the USBCNC board. Parallel cable tests fine on the MK2 using the same controller PC and Mach so that is eliminated as well. In theory, the problem should be SW setup.

I've tried my MK2 config, I've tried the config from the P3 disc, and I've built two configs from scratch trying to figure out the problem. Played with all sorts of pin configurations, even though I know that it should be X step and dir on pins 2 & 3

Next to do, I'll swap two motor leads out and see if the problem is persistent. If that does not uncover anything, I'll swap the easycnc board with the MK2 and see if that solves it.

Appreciate any help.

4. ToxicToast

FYI, swapped the board out and the problem was solved so it was not an issue specifically with my s/w config or cable.

I also replaced the chip on the original board and it did not make a difference.

Ghosts in the machine, I tell ya!

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Ok thanks Chris for all the testing. We will contact you via email
    Thanks brother
    Mark and Trish