1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Xtremes Build Progress of the MKII !!

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter MKII BUILD LOGS' started by xtremeRCpilot, Jul 7, 2009.

1. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hi Guys,
    I have been working on my MKII build at a much slower pace than Crash:) but I have to say it is more fun than a 100 piece puzzle !! Everything has been going great and though I have been doing things a little backwards from the Instructional Video it is getting done !!!

So far I have the stand and drawer , the lid( Excluding the plexi windshield) To avoid overspray when painting and now I am working on the Y Z Gantry!!!

I will post pics later when I get home from work so you can use them for comparison when you build yours!!

I have to take a minute to Thank Mark and Trish, for not only coming up with such a cool idea for us home DIYers, but for also being super kind folks!! I have adopted them into the Family and look forward to a long relationship with them as Friends and Business Entrepreneurs !! :)

Thanks again Mark and Trish and for everyone that has helped along the way we are truly an RC Family!!

See ya soon!!
    John

2. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

sorry guys, pics coming soon!!! :)

3. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Ok Guys sorry for the delay but I finally got a chance to work on my MKII with great results!!

Here are some pics of the finished product, this was such a simple build and with the Instructional video took all the guess work out!!
    Now all I need is some electricity and we are rock'n and roll'n !!!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks Mark and Trish :) Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

more pics :)

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

even More :)

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

DONE !!!!

I will post my build experience later after Family leaves!!!

Thanks for looking

John

7. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Hot dog!

8. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Lookin Good :D XtremeRCpilot :D
    I can't wait till mine gets here. I can't even look at the build video's yet. :( I don't want to get too excited till it gets here. :mrgreen:

Cheers
    E-T

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

GREAT JOB JOHN!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    That is one great looking MKII you have there brother :)

NOW LET'S SEE SOME FOAM DUST! :mrgreen:
    Thanks for the great pictures and comments John
    Mark and Trish

10. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks E-T.... This was such a fun project and it went together easier than I thought, You definitely want to watch the vid... it helps so much having the build in the back of your mind!!
    I hope you gets yours soon so wwe can work together and get some cut files :)

Mark and Trish...... Where do I start....One things for sure.Good things come to those who wait and as easy as this went together it paid off working with you hand and hand. From the Inst. video to your emails to your kind phone calls. You are truly a blessing and this will come to you a hundred fold!! Thanks for all your help, our journey isnt over yet. We have so much fun ahead of us I can hardly contain myself! I need to go over the electronics and fine tune this bad boy and I will throw in a cut file I have on hand. I may be calling you for some last minute advice :) Thank you guys so much and I cant wait to see all the others up and running.... Phlatheadz " you are in for a thrill of your life". :mrgreen:

Take care
    John

11. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Thanks John! We are really excited for you and for everyone.

Of course, we would be happy to help with anything you need.

Mark and Trish

12. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks Mark and Trish !! :D

OK ... I got some sleep and wanted to post some of my building techniques that may assist you on your build!!

Again I cant stress how smooth this build will go for you especially if you watch the instructional video before hand!! My advice for everyone that has a Harbor Freight nearby your house is to go pick up a few assorted clamps. I like the 4" and 6" grip clamps but found myself using a couple 24" and 36" pressure clamps for the main cabinet and stand!!! Remember this can be built without the use of clamps but it is like having a second pair of hands with ya :)
    Also I noticed that the parts dried extremely fast and therefore was able to breeze through each step, at some point I only let certain parts dry for a half hour before continuing, and these were the bigger parts!!

Another thing that I found very convenient was the fact that I have a large piece of 1/2" plate glass as my building table and found that this really helped keep everything square during the build. At one point Mark had mentioned how he felt the face of the cabinet went on super smooth and everything aligned so easy concurring that the I Beam was dead on straight!! I had the same results and suggest finding yourself a super flat table to take the frustration of having to re align parts more often than not!!

Also be very careful of over tightening the Stepper in the Y Z Gantry as this is a split mounting flange and it will buckle if you over muscle this. I added a support brace on mine to counter the buckle I had caused.. This probably wont be a problem for you because I used stepper motors and had to tap them to a very large 6mm so the torque is much higher when tightening down ;)

Please read over Crash's Build log as he has some very useful tips and one I found super important was his suggestion to put the short pulley rods for the X and Y Gantry's into a drill press and sand the tolerance down a touch... I forgot and mine got stuck in the pulley and was not easy to remove. When its viced in the drill press or hand dril just take some good emery cloth 150 grit and basically buff down the edge by moving the sand paper up and down the shaft uniformly . Do this a little at a time and then pre fit the rod through the pully until it slides in perfect and it will spin freely.Remember to clean the shaft with WD 40 before assembly as not to get any loose shavings in the pully hub!! The pulley should spin freely without binding. This will not be an issue on the newer kits so dont be alarmed. Mark and Trish have done a super job on keeping up with these things... I am just making a note so you can pre fit this just in case :)

I am in awe as to how fast it went together that I still cant believe that I will be running it this week.. I need to go over some last minute things and of course triple check the electronics and read through the initial start up of this bad boy so stay tuned for my result!!!
    Thanks again guyz and good luck on your builds!!! Feel free to ask me any questions!!

John

Proud Owner of the MKII !!!! Attached files [​IMG]

13. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

FIRST CUT!!!!
    Hey guys, I am super excited as I just cut my first custom designed wing WOOOOOHOOOO!!!

Mark, thank you so much for all your time today on getting me started !!!

Here is a pic/...... Attached files [​IMG]

14. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

pilot, looks great bud!!! you will allways have models to fly......randy.

15. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks Randy ... I have endless ideas so I hope to be able to put these to Foam !!! :D

John

16. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Great job John!
    I bet your having a hard time wiping the grin off your face. :mrgreen:

17. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks 3D...... How did you guess :D I feel like a kid in a candy shop!!!! I am working on a new design as we speak!! Hope to have a full plane cut soon!!I am hustling to learn sketchup, this is my first attempt, WOW lots to learn!!! Keep the fingers crossed!!!

John

18. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Way to go !! First cut, Looks great...

19. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks Foamlvr.... Whats really cool about this machine is because we build it, we have a better understanding of the components and what they do. It feels good knowing if I break something I wont have to pay a tech hundreds of dollars to work on my CNC!!!

Back to cutting!! :D
    John

20. iflyos

iflyos Member

Congrats! I like the look of the wing, I can't wait to see the rest of the plane :D

Man, how cool it is to have such an awesome resource in the shop! I cannot wait to join the ranks!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

21. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hi Tim... I am definitely having alot of fun!! I cant wait for yours to arrive!!You are going to have a blast!!! I still have to design the rest of the plane as this was just a test wing I made in sketchup.... maybe a will just add a motor and fly it!! :D

John

22. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Just goof'n around while I learn sketchup!!! :D

Attached files [​IMG]

23. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Good work, John! You'll find that you can progress quickly with SketchUp in no time at all. I am looking forward to seeing what all cool projects you come up with! :D

24. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks Mike!! I am having alot of fun but as you know our kids are priority so it may take me some time to learn all the ins and outs :) I finally feel the joy that the original Phlatprinter brings to you guys that built one!! Its a huge window of opportunity and definitely opens our minds to new invention!!! Please keep us posted on your build, you will blink your eye and its done, I spent 12 hrs on Sunday to finish it up!! Cant wait to see your pics and I am not sure if I am going to paint mine yet... Have a great night my Friend!!

John

25. joecnc2006

joecnc2006 New Member

Great looking build Xtreme ! ! !