1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Y axis leadscrew alignment

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by WW8S, Dec 26, 2008.

1. WW8S

WW8S Member

I've been messing about redrawing the Phlatprinter in Solidworks. Most everything has assembled together with only minor tweaks required to eliminate interferences. I assume those are due to my measurement errors. There are two places I find significant misalignment;

The Y-axis leadscrew to the nut is off about 0.030". Now, this could easily be caused by a stackup of my measuring errors, but I thought I would bring it up. (It also might be a stackup of machining errors) But, if it is a design issue, this might explain some of the Y-axis binding several are seeing. (I don't have mine together that far yet). I'll be glad to send you whatever info I can Mark in case you want to look into this.

The only other area that looks "wrong" is the Dremel is offset in the cutting window 0.093". I remember some questions about that in the RC Groups thread. It doesn't look like it will hurt anything so maybe it's not a concern.

I hope to finish glueing up mine this weekend. I still cannot find the u-bolts, I'm heading to the third different Lowes today. Home Depot doesn't have them either.
    Dave Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. WW8S

WW8S Member

Also, one other thing while your thinking about this Mark, my model shows the driver roller standing proud 0.145". I think I remember you said it should be 1/16th? (If it's supposed to be 1/8th, then we are golden :) )
    Dave

3. dbtoutfit

dbtoutfit New Member

Did you acount for the raidus in the corners of the parts?

30 thousands is not bad at all for this machine. That can be larger or smaller depending on how a person builds the machine. (clamps, prep of parts, glue etc.)

Eric

4. WW8S

WW8S Member

No, I didn't try to account for glue thickness or sharp corners into corners with radii. You are certainly right about the build technique having a lot to do with the actual stackup. The drive roller height only depends on 1 glue joint, so it's either a design error or a machining error if the proper height is 1/16th. The Y-axis lead screw has a couple of glue joints but most are in the interlocking (tab in slot) in the direction of error, so it's not likely a designed in mismatch to account for glue joints. I'm just curious and hope Mark chimes in. I'd love to sit down with him over a beer and hear the stories about the design effort and how this came together.
    Dave

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I drew my PP up also, but in sketchup. And yes none of the rods line up perfectly, but I didn't think much of it. I assume it is mostly a measurement problem (for example measured from center or from ends). Also, there were some obvious large measurement errors, that I corrected during model assembly. It wouldn't be obvious for small errors. Of course this doesn't rule out a design error, either. I think 0.145" x-rollor sounds close to what I got also. But I just did made 3.5" cylinder, which doesn't account for the real dimensions of the roller/tape. I can't really check, right now, because I am reinstalling my OS. Anyways I don't expect the model to be 100% accurate and use it with that assumption. I mainly use it to check spacing for mods. As I remember it, my dremel (in the model) also isn't centered in the slot. I also am only half way through on the build.

-Kwok

6. dbtoutfit

dbtoutfit New Member

I see what your saying Dave.

Something seems off.

Eric

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hi Dave,
    Nice looking model I sent you a PM
    Mark

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Let's see if I can post some pics (my first time trying). Here is what my model shows, for what it's worth. For example, the z-axis shows the two rods shifted, but it's seems pretty accurate when I actually built the z-axis. So I don't expect the my 3d model to be that perfect.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]