1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

YF-23 (pdf by Maybz) prop mod and G-Code by me.

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by Thewz, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Here is somehting I have been working on for a while. I've built 2 so far and I am still correcting some small issues with the plans. I promissed I would post these so here they are.

Attached files [​IMG] YF23_EDF.zip (11.1 KB)Â YF23_PROP.zip (11.4 KB)Â

2. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I've got some video that I'll also post later. She likes to fly!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Oh no! Another model I just gotta have!
    Thewz, do you have the skp files of these also? What size are the intended fans on the EDF version ?

4. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Hi Dorsal,

It's designed for Alfa fans which have a 2.4" (61mm) shroud OD.

I have the SKP but I'll have to find it. The 2 files I have on my PHP PC are just the flattened ones for creating the G-Code.

Matthew

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Okay Matthew, when you find the skp file, could you zip it and add it to the first post? The fans I have are 60mm so maybe I need to tweak a couple cuts to get them to fit properly. I'd also like to be able to change the nesting or the cut order or maybe flip a part or two on the sheet to get the !@#$!@$# black printing to hide itself on the inside of the model, if I need to.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if BluCor had the printing on the same side as the plastic film? ;)

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Thewz, Nice one
    I was working on this one just the other day and you beat me to it :)
    Can't wait to see the video.
    I too would like to mod the Sketchup file when you get a chance..
    Thanks man Really nice looking
    Mark

7. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I just have to tell this story since your plane reminds me of what took place today at our flying field.

We have a open field on about 450 acres in which we have mowed a 600x60 grass strip to fly our RC planes.

It is not uncommon for real planes to fly overhead and wag the wings to say hello. One time about a year ago, a small biplane actually did loops and barrel rolls right over our runway and then landed on a dirt road nearby and walked over to visit with us. Turned out he was well known by some of the members as he works at the local hobby store that many of us frequent.

But today, was an experience like none other we have seen.

As it happened, there were about 12 of us at the field today and nobody had a plane in the air at the time of the incident. Some of us were sitting around talking shop and others working on their planes.

Out in the distance a low flying fighter jet appears doing a knife edge at about 300'. It got everyones attention as we watched it fly by and then observed it continue on knife edge to make a slow turn and pass by the backside of our field slowing more and more and dropping altitude.

After making a complete circle on knife edge, it flew right square over our runway at about 30' off the runway still in knife edge with the pilot plainly visible. There is also a tree which sits about 20' from the end of the runway on this side of it.

Some of the guys ran for cover, others like myself stared in disbelief, not realizing what the outcome would have been had it actually crashed. I probably would not be here to tell the story had that happened.

But the pilot was obviously an expert and after passing the end of the runway, rolled over right side up and blasted off into the stratisphere.

Those of who witnessed it will never forget it. It was truely an awesome experience.

8. meistertek

meistertek Member

I wonder if the fighter pilot who buzzed the field got started with flying there, maybe he was paying tribute?

Thewz your YF-23 looks very sleek. Does it need gyros to fly or is there enough vertical tail surface to keep it stabilized?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Flashsolutions, that is an awesome story - I wish I had been there to see it myself. I suppose it was another day when nobody had (or thought about) their camera, eh? :(

10. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I had a camera on my belt actually and another Sony Video camera in the car, but it happened so fast and we were so taken aback that the thought never crossed my mind to reach for it.

11. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Hi meistertek,

No need for a gyro he vertical stabs keep the yaw well under control.

It flys very well at speed but needs attention when less air is flowing over the controls. I've posted the MRKII version with larger elevons in the prop wash. This should increase low speed control.

Matthew