1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Z axis problems

Discussion in 'Trouble Shooting - Support - Help Section' started by rcav8r, Feb 10, 2010.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Hi All;

I am having a weird Z axis issue. Not sure if it is the hardware/software or....

A little history.
    Had the original 1/4x20 rod and "stock" stepper. Got about 10ipm on the Z. While doing a mod, I took the Z axis apart and found a lot of binding. I removed that, and also replaced the 1/4x20 rod w/ a 3/8x8 ACME rod and nut. Also replaced the Dremel w/a rotozip flex shaft so there is less weight.

I can spin the nut from one end of the rod to the other so I know there is no binding there.
    The Z gantry now is as smooth as a new born's behind. No binding at all.
    I put it all together, re-tuned, and still get a whopping 10ipm on the Z.
    It was suggested the stock stepper was not up to the task, so I ordered a stepper from Trish and Mark and installed it last night.
    Same 10ipm.

I then took the rods out of the Z gantry to eliminate that. Still 10ipm before it skips steps.
    I then took the Z gantry all the way out, and ran the stepper with no load. I could easily stop the stepper by hand. I barely squeeze the shaft and it skips.
    I then swapped the Z and Y axis physically at the board. Same issue with the Z stepper.

After reading through some posts here, I see that some guys had problems with the wire for the Z axis. Not the same issues as I was having, but problems non-the less. I will try changing that tonight when / (if due to blizzard out there) I get home tonight.

But should that not fix it... any ideas what else it might be?

Also what is the value for the steps when using a 12pitch rod? I copied my settings down from when I had a 12pitch for the Y axis, but I MAY have copied wrong. I tried to calibrate, and I think I'm close, but it is hard to do on the Z.

THANKS
    Dave

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Sounds likie the board voltage is off to me

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Yeah, it sounds like the V-ref is cranked down to "barely working" on the Z-axis. Is that the Easy-CNC board?

4. rcav8r

Hummm. I will have to check that when I get home. Never thought of re-checking...
    Yes it is the Easy-CNC board. I forget the exact voltage, but it should be the same as the stock steppers, right?

THANKS

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

If you look here, http://www.phlatboyz.com/phlatstore/#ec ... uct=369613 , the Phlatstore says 3.6V, 2A.
    If you have an Ohm-meter, read the resistance through the coil on one phase, (say 1.8 Ohms) and double that number (1.8 X 2 = 3.6), then set V-Ref to that number in volts. That would give you 3.6V, 2A with a 1.8 ohm coil. If your coil resistance is different, adjust your voltage accordingly.

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

The amp rating also depends on if it unipolar or bipolar. So I wouldn't necessarily use the 2A rating. I thought someone had the skinny on this. Was it Crash? You might want to pm him, 1st. I found this old post of his: viewtopic.php?f=135&t=894&p=11964#p11964 If it's 1.4A for bipolar, the max setting of vref should be 2.8V?

-Kwok

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Kwok, you are absolutely correct, the final voltage depends on whether the system is wired unipolar or bipolar. Vextra has a complete spec sheet on their website, iirc.

8. rcav8r

Yep this was it. :D THANKS!!! So simple I missed the obvious.
    It was set to .3V Yikes was it low. Set to 1.3 (just to be on the safe side) and I get 40ipm easy. I backed off to 25 just to be sure I don't miss any steps, and when it's traveling so little, it really won't make that much of a difference.

THANKS Again to all who helped
    Dave