1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Sketchucam G-Code on a Fadal VMC.

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by mporter88, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mporter88

mporter88 New Member

Hello everyone.
    First I want to thank you for all of your work on Sketchucam and for the patient and intelligent support.
    I am a longtime sketchup user...and I think I want to use phlatscript generated G-Code to create some
    shapes on a 15 tool, Fadal Vertical Machining Center.
    I have access to these machines at my work...and permission to do what I want (after hours).
    I will pay for my mistakes...but when is that not true?

Project involves the drilling and cutting of rigid .25 inch thick PVC/Acrylic alloy into convoluted shapes for use in creating cases and component supports for an invention I am working on. All cuts and plunges are on the z axis.

It seems a perfect fit to me. The sketchucam g-Code looks good and is very similar to what I see in programs that are in use on the mills. My stuff is simple. Cuts with tabs, pockets and troughs, Some half depth and through plunges. Can use a 3/16 end mill and a 1/8" drill for everything I think.

To me...a relative novice to CNC programming...Sketchucam would seem to be...in at least a general way...filling the niche of the CAD/CAM post processor.

I know that I will have to tweak it up with tool change instructions and Feed and Speed adjustments...but I cant think why it will not work...so long as I understand the code and dont point the tool at the bed.

So here is my problem. The old machining guys are shattering my confidence. They say that without a "post processor" to generate the g-code...I am flirting with disaster. They are all about Mastercam and customized Post Processors that generate code that is specific to a machine.

I just dont have the experience I need to be comfortable listening to my gut and ignoring them.

So...I thought to ask here for input.
    Any warnings for me? Anyone done this and run into issues that you can share?
    Can you think of any reasons why I should not be able to take Sketchucam generated g-code and adapt it
    to run on a Fadal 88HS VMC?

Any input at all ..of any type...would be appreciated.

Again...I really appreciate the work you people do here and look forward to buying my own flat bed cutter in a year or so. I want a big one though. Capable of turning 4' x 4' sheets of .75" anything into...well....whatever I damn well want.

Recommendations on a machine like that would also be appreciated. ;)

Sincerely, Mporter88

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

A lot of machines like that require the g code to be written in a certain way. The best thing to do is compare what the gcode looks like from Mastercams post processor and what ours looks like. You could always contact Fadal and ask them if the Sketchucams gcode will work also. You would probably need to send them a sample gcode file though.

3. mporter88

mporter88 New Member

Thanks for the response.
    I think the comparison shows that there are some minor tweaks needed...but i will do an in-depth analysis before proceeding.
    Will post my results if I actually run something.

Mporter88