1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

$12.99 steppers from MPJA

Discussion in 'MOTORS - Stepper Motors' started by Flashsolutions, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

In a Google search bar, type "21 kg/cm to oz/in" and tell me what you get.
    However, if I go to http://www.onlineconversion.com/torque.htm and input 21 kiligram centimeters, converting to ounce inches, I get "21 kilogram centimeter = 291.635 117 69 ounce inch"

My bad. :oops:

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Dorsal,

I didn't know you could do that with google. Guess the google calcutator takes the units literally. Probably why I never saw this, when I've done the search in the past. I couldn't get the standard dash or dot to work, but these do:
    21 kg*cm to oz*in
    21 kg cm to oz in

-Kwok

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I can probably use 6-7 of these motors. So I went ahead and ordered 10, to get the bulk pricing. What a bargain, $11 for each shipped.

Be sure to check out their outer stuff, too. I bought the 24v 6A power supply for $15, also. And picked up a parallel and video cable; and a few other misc items.

-Kwok

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Well, I just bought 5 of them, and 10 of their NC/NO limit switches. :)

5. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Just got mine in today. Nice little motor. Anybody see how much these are going for on other sites?. Wow what a spread of prices.

6. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Just installed the new stepper motor. I am at 30ips on the Z axis. amazing what 13 bucks will do. ;)

7. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Bump up the Vref to 1.4V. I am getting 42ipm, you should be able to get that as well.

8. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

9. meistertek

meistertek Member

Thanks Flash and everyone else for posting about these steppers. I ordered two Vexta PK266-02A last night from MJPA for both my Z and Y axis. My question to you Flash is if you are using the 1/4-20 all thread on your Z axis or if you converted to something different like ACME thread?

Here are my current velocities and drive setups:
    X: Stock Stepper, Stock Belt and Pulley, 45 ipm (could go higher)
    Y: Stock Stepper, ACME 3/8-12 carbon steel drive nut, 28 ipm
    Z: Stock Stepper, Stock 1/4-20 All Thread and t-nut, 12 ipm

I am hoping to get something like this with the two new steppers:
    X: Stock Stepper, Stock Belt and Pulley, 45 ipm
    Y: Vexta PK266-02A Stepper, ACME 3/8-12 carbon steel drive nut, 45 ipm
    Z: Vexta PK266-02A Stepper, 1/4-20 All Thread and t-nut , 45 ipm

Maybe I'll have to convert to ACME 3/8-12 on the Z to get 45 ipm, but I'll try the 1/4-20 stock setup first to see how it works.

10. Flashsolutions

My X and Y axis are running 282 oz/in steppers with the MK1.5 Belt drive mod. The Z axis was the only slow axis left on my PP and I wanted to stay within the NEMA 23 small stepper footprint, so this stepper fit the bill perfectly.

The Z axis is running the standard 1/4 20 threaded rod with the rubber hose connector.

11. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Okay, I just bought my 3 steppers for $12.95 each, but I also snagged up a power supply - check it out:

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16854+PS

Easy-CNC wants $230 for their total package. The steppers and power supply set me back like $65. Easy-CNC routinely sells their 3 axis board on eBay for $99 (I got one about 2 weeks ago). I already have a spare parallel cable, so it looks like I'll be saving about $50 on my complete electronics package! :D

12. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

That sounds great Crash. We are all about saving money when we can. We ordered and received these motors. We are planning on using them on the final MK II build. You can't beat the price. We're hoping the quality and results are just as good.

Thank you Flash for starting this thread. Great info!

Mark and Trish

13. Flashsolutions

So far, this stepper motor is doing a fantastic job. No issues whatsoever so far.

I also replaced the HP power supply with a larger capacity one from MPJA since I am running the 282 oz/in steppers on my X and Y axis. This one even has a built in cooling fan.

14. Crash

Flash, which power supply did you end up using?

15. Flashsolutions

I tried to find it this morning and it seems they have changed the line of power supplies since I bought mine. At least I don't recognize the packaging as looking like mine. It was around $24 and was a 12.5A supply.

I had purchased one and it came with no label or documentation so MPJA sent me a replacement and told me to do what ever I wanted with the first one, so I sold it to Dorsal. The only thing wrong was the label was missing which showed which terminal blocks were input and which were output.

16. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

17. Flashsolutions

18. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Got my stuff yesterday. Here is a picture of the motors. I put one of the original steppers in there for a size comparison. The new ones are a hair shorter. Another thing I noticed is the screw holes looks a tiny bit small. A #10 screw will go part way throught, but not all the way. The holes are 10/1000 " smaller than the originals. It's easy enough to fix.

Attached files [​IMG]

19. Crash

The holes being a bit smaller sounds like a good thing! Run a tap through them and forget about having to use nuts!! That's what I'm planning to do. :D

How long did it take to get this package in? I'm wondering when I can expect to see mine...

20. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Unfortunately, there is no material, at all, for tapping threads. It's basically a press fit, both the hole and the #10 screw are exactly 0.185" diameter. 0.196" diameter would be the correct clearance hole, which is what the stock stepper holes are.

I ordered Monday am, before they were even opened. They didn't ship out until wed. I should have gotten it in 3 days after that, but it was a Sat. So I didn't get it until Monday, a full week. You should get a ups tracking # when they ship. Then, for you, it's 4 days to ship ups ground to Texas.

-Kwok

21. Crash

Thanks for the info! I'm quite anxious to try them out. That price really can't be beat!

22. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

It looks like there's plenty of material there to tap the holes to 1/4-20, like I did to my stock motors. :cool:
    I'm still waiting for mine - I paid the order on 5/4, got shipping info on 5/6 and UPS says they'll deliver on 5/13. :( Oh wait, that's tomorrow! :)

23. Crash

I should have mine on the 14th! :D

24. meistertek

meistertek Member

My two Vexta PK266-02A steppers from MJPA were just delivered. I will probably install them soon and test them out on my Z and Y axis. I am hoping to get a least 40ipm on the Z axis with the stock 1/4-20 rod. It will be interesting to see what kind of speed I end up getting with the modified ACME 3/8-12 rod that I have already installed on the Y axis, once again I am hoping for at least 40ipm on that axis also.

25. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

meistertek,
    From the sounds of it you should be getting these speeds plus :)
    We are really hopeful for this steppers, and we can't wait to get them in the MKII tonight!
    Mark and Trish