1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

3DMON's FPV Adventures

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by 3DMON, Dec 19, 2011.

1. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

G.H. Boyd Systems, P.O. Box 235 Griffith, IN 46319
    3DMON,
    That is one Awesome FPV. :banger: :banger: :banger: :banger: :banger:
    I got to try that one of these days.

Cheers.
    GHB :D

2. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Ahh, thanks for that. The setup looks nice. I am thinking about how I am going to get both the UHF and RHCP 1.2 antennas to coexist in such a small working space. I've got time to think about it, however, looking at May for my tech license test. Does'nt look too hard from the sample questions I've reviewed so far.

I am getting significantly more comfortable with my quad, especially now that it is super stable in acro. I just could never get used to the auto level modes, even for recovery in bad situations. I'm thinking it will be easier to fly FPV (as fixed wing has been for me) than LOS.

Thanks again for sharing your setup pic.

3. ToxicToast

I was also thinking of how the IBCrazy UHF Turnstile antenna might work well in the quad form factor?

4. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

I'm building the IBCrazy antennas now in the 5.8G flavor. I don't recall the exact name but they need a jig of 120° and 90° so I cranked one out. It's crude but scalable and should save a bunch of time.

Edit: I added the inner supports but didn't change the posted pic. If you can't figure it out your not trying :think: . I only glued the four sides together and I just slip in the inner, top and bottom so everything comes apart easy.

Bit is 1/16' and material is 1/4' I used Depron and it works well. I should make more small stuff will it Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] antennaJig.cnc (14.1 KB)Â antennaJig.skp (922 KB)Â

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Cool.
    I've made a jig that I keep meaning to post also. Mine is for 900 and 1280 Cloverleaf and Skewplaner wheel. I'll try to post it within the next couple of days.

6. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

WOW !! Really nice jig .. :banger: :banger:

7. ToxicToast

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks to Shaun for the opportunity to build his Skew-Planar antenna jig. I hand made a very nice RHCP SPW antenna before and it was all blood sweat and tears trying to get it to solder together. Using his jig, it became took just a half hour to assemble a new one (1280mhz). My initial tests are showing an excellent quality video signal with this antenna (and a RHCP clover). Love these antennas but they are a huge pain to make unless you are an 6 armed alien who runs the diner on Coruscant. The jig took away a lot of the pain.

Great work on this design, 3dMon! Love the mechanism to hold the wire in place. One question - are the sliders meant to be mounted bottom-up? I ended up modifying 4 of the supports so the sliders can be used from the top-down. It didn't occur to me at the time that it was meant to be bottom-up! Doh!

Thanks again!

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. 3DMON

Nice work! Yeah I did mine from the bottom up lol.
    I will try to post the files soon but I have been too busy taking care of my wife.
    Unfortunately she had to be admitted to the hospital on Friday due to a very bad case of Pneumonia. Turns out tomorrow she has to have surgery to get the crud out from around one of her lungs
    For all you praying brothers and sisters, please pray for her. It really stinks seeing her in so much pain.

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

@ Shaun
    Wow sorry to hear that you guys are having to go through this Shaun. You know Trish and I will be praying for you both. God Bless, and may she make a speedy recovery emerging stronger then before :)
    @ Chris This is a work of art brotherman! Well done. Everything about this FPV hobby looks very enticing!
    Mark and Trish

10. ToxicToast

Sorry to hear about your family's health issues, Shaun. Hoping for a full and quick recovery. Please, keep us posted.

11. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Dito what TT said....

12. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Nice jig, hope all is well with your wife 3D.

13. 3DMON

After a week and a day my wife is back home, Yay! She is doing better but is still on the road to recovery. Thanks everybody for their thoughts and prayers.

14. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

Thats great news! Stay strong and keep those positive thoughts and she'll be back to normal in no time.

15. ToxicToast

Great to hear that, Shaun!

16. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Glad to hear hear this awesome news Shaun! Thank you for the update.
    Mark and Trish