1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

3DMON'S Full Fuse F-22

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by 3DMON, Sep 28, 2009.

1. swim93

swim93 New Member

22" please :)

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Here you go Alex.
    You might find working in the top view will help with parts layout. I noticed the new mod piece you did was a little outside the cutting area so I moved it back in.

If you guys need help with anything else just let me know. Attached files 'S Big Full Fuse F-22.skp (993.1 KB)Â

3. swim93

swim93 New Member

so do you think the nose and canopy will still be the same?

4. 3DMON

Yeah, there just might be a bit more sanding.

5. swim93

swim93 New Member

okay and about the servo holes... i don't even know which ones are what. lol
    and do you think 9 gram servos are gonna be enough?

6. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

if Im allowed to get real painful, can you guys put grooves in to run flexiable pushrods out to the ailerons? seems like that would be better then the crooked rigid arms shown. I know, aweful chooseie for a begger ;)

7. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

really only need 1/8" wide, 1/8" deep, running to the center of the airlerons. nice large arc is all.

8. 3DMON

Alex and Bert, I don't think 9 gram servos would be ok for this big model. I would think something more along the lines of a HS85 or 225 or the equivalent. I redid the file to use the flexible pushrod and also pointed out on the side showing which holes are for the servos.
    Hope this helps. Attached files 'S Big Full Fuse F-22.skp (1004.5 KB)Â

9. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

Shaun you are awesome, thank you! Yes I agree about servo choice.

10. swim93

swim93 New Member

wow thanks shaun. :)
    does anyone else think that the elevator should have the most servo power?
    if so i will use the servo i got for my wing sweep for the elevator.
    that would be plenty.

11. 3DMON

You should be fine with that.

12. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

Wow, I love the F22 birds I have in my home squadron and it looks like they will be getting another brother ( or maybe two )
    Shawn, I know you did the 200% for 1/2 foam and I am wanting to try that as well but what are the chances that you can make it fit the safe cutting area and use 1/4 bluecor? Multible sheets will be fine. I just tend to like the bigger airframes.

13. 3DMON

F22's are awesome! That's cool your wanting to build the bigger one. I know Alex and Bert haven't been able to build theirs yet. I should be able to get it set up for the fanfold. I'll work on it a little each night and will try to get it done by next weekend for ya.

I might just have to build the big one too. :D

14. swim93

swim93 New Member

ahhh nooooo it would be so much better and more sturdy with 1/2 inch foam!!!!
    but i did get to my dads shop yesterday morning and i got one of the normal size f22s cut out and ready to build, Shaun i think you need to make your tabs a lil bit bigger.
    our parts kept getting caught and stuck.
    but while we were at the shop we also got some of the 1/2" foam test cut and it cut just fine all the way through at i think 120 ipm
    so we are getting closer to building this 200% monster and it is going to be AWESOME!!!

15. 3DMON

Awesome Alex! Looking forward to hearing how you like the smaller one.

As far as the tabs, your the first person to say something about them giving you a problem. I personally have not cut those files out because I don't use the 1/8" bit anymore but the tabs are set the same as how I cut them out with all my other files and I never have a problem. One thing is the tabs are v tabs, so if the z axis is set a little on the high side it will wipe more of the tab out, that's the only thing I can think of.

16. swim93

swim93 New Member

idk my dad and i have the worst luck with v tabs
    we use t tabs on everything now

17. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

Hey shaun, We actually had Z set where it was barely cuting through the plastic. maybe our FFF is a bit thinner than normal (good chance of that). Also our problem may be we still use the bit supplied with the PP. The end is almost a ball cutter, which has to contrubite to the wiping out of the tabs. To have Z go through enough to actually cut the plane out, cutter is 1/16 through the foam.

IDK, like Alex said, we are back to "T" tabs, cuz they just give us better results for the wavy FFF. But none the less, after wrestling with it, the results are always worth the effort!

18. 3DMON

I bet it's the thickness of the foam. Sometimes fanfold measures 5 or 6mm. I still have yet to actually find a piece of fanfold that measures a true 1/4". It's still interesting though because I even compensated for the thickness in the gcode by inputting .240 for the material thickness. Your foam is probably closer to 5mm. Maybe when I post code in the future I'll put regular tabs on instead of the v tabs.

19. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

.240!! - lol ours is .214!!! I want yours!!! I bet that explains a lot about issues we have across the board. (no pun intended)

I agree, T's are a safer bet for public distrubtion. and I personally don't mind cutting them, after all I used to have to cut the entire thing. Now I only have to cut some tiny little bits. :D

On the subject of foam thickness, the "1/2" inch foam we are gonna use measures .570! I guess the moral to this story is, if you want true thickness, don't use foam. But I'm hooked, so I will just keep adjusting for it ;)

20. 3DMON

.214... wow. Yeah that's the reason right there. Too bad before you cut it out you didn't just change the material thickness and out put new gcode, then your tabs should have come out a lot better. Something similar happened to me the other day with thinner than normal fanfold. I had the bit set to cut deep for a thick carbon tube. It cut fine at other times but this time it went right through the foam. Sure enough the foam was around 5mm thick like yours.

21. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

That's why I set my V-tab at 1/2" wide, and the material at 6mm - they're only that wide if the material is full thickness (or more), but there will be some tab material left if the foam is less than 5mm. To each his own workaround, I guess. :)

22. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

I have one of these started and on the build table as my Youngest Son has not sent any finances to finish the P-51 yet... Going to have the Ailerons and the split elevators connected together and operating as Elevons. My other Son also started one but his is just hanging on the wall not finished. Posting a few pics... Mudman1959

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. 3DMON

Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing how it flies with the elevators and ailerons connected together.

24. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

10/20/2011 Got a little time to work on it today... Reinforced all of the edges with bamboo skewers. The Ailerons and split elevators are connected together for a Elevon type control. Cut out the rudders and reinforced them, I will need to purchase some flexible control rods for them... Lots to do yet, I'll let you know how it works. Mudman1959

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Looking good mudman! :good:
    Mark and Trish