1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Aero Sport RC Charging Station Project

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by meistertek, Jan 17, 2010.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Looking good meistertek
    Now you have the plan you are well on your way
    Keep up the good work guys
    Mark and Trish

2. meistertek

meistertek Member

We have the charging station in place now and connected to our old deep cycle batteries, with a data logger in place. We'll monitor the power usage for a few weeks to help decide on the next steps we should take with charging and storage batteries.
    Attached files [​IMG]

3. meistertek

meistertek Member

We are thinking a solar panel might be the next step with a charge control:

Kyocera Solar KD-135 135 Watt 12 Volt Solar Electric Panel: $400.00
    Morningstar ProStar Solar Charge Controller. 30 Amp, 12/24 Volt, No Meter: $143.00
    or
    Morningstar ProStar 30 Amp Solar Charge Controller, 12/24 Volt With Digital Meter: $203.00

Sub Total: $543 to $603

Four Energizer E29HM 125Ah batteries 68x4= $272.00
    Cable and connections $100.00

Total= $915 to $975

4. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

5. meistertek

meistertek Member

6. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

last i seen it was on sale for $399
    Plus it will charge at night !!

7. meistertek

meistertek Member

Jeff,

I have been looking at reviews of the air-x and many people are having problems with them, and get terrible customer support. Also our wind density is not really that high in Illinois, so I think it would be better to stick with solar or gasoline charging since those seem pretty reliable.

http://www.greenerbuilding.org/product_ ... =39&pid=96
    http://www.wind-works.org/articles/sm_AirXtest.html

Here is a wind energy density map of the U.S.: http://www.nrel.gov/gis/wind.html this page also has solar energy maps.

8. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Bummer, I just remembered seeing it, I never looked into it any farther

9. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

10. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

just put a car alternator on a pole with a fan hooked to it :p

11. meistertek

meistertek Member

Yoram,

Do you use wind power to charge your battery bank? If you do what has been your experience with it compared to solar, gasoline generator charging ,or some other method of charging? What is your preferred way to charge your battery bank?

Dan

12. kram242

I have been thinking about this and thought, to bad no one has come up with a pressure mat that will convert weight/pressure to electric. All the walking around that happens in places like the malls or walmart style stores could possibly help to run the lights for that store? I know it would take a lot but every little bit helps :) I know this really has nothing to do with the charging station (well in a round about way) but I am just now awake and wanted to throw this idea out there :D
    Mark and Trish

13. meistertek

meistertek Member

Mark,

Your idea is not crazy there was an article I saw about this kind of charging a while back. I think they used the vibration of cars on the road to charge battery powered lights in the road...yep here is the article, sounds like a japanese guy was awake one night too thinking about this! :lol:

http://www.japanfs.org/en/pages/027044.html

14. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

a Piezoelectric mat to provide power doesn't sound that far off to me. We don't have any use for them at my job, but I've seen lots of small remote sensors that are powered off of the vibrations of the machine they are attached too. I don't know anything about a cost anaylsis but your idea sounds very interesting.

15. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Sorry for not getting faster back to you, Dan. I didn't see your post yesterday.

I don't have a wind generator to charge my batteries but my neighbor does. He used to have four small commercially bought generators, the 400W type, in conjunction with photo voltaic cells. When the generators worked, he had reduced external electricity consumption. The problem he had was that the propellers broke to easily. He now has no wind generators since it is difficult to get here replacement. I was going to make the generator I posted but had problem finding the magnets here and now it is a mute point since I sold my house and am heading home to Terra firma (SP), That is North America, for those who don't know. :D

16. kram242

Thanks for the link meistertek :) So I guess it sounds like it could work.
    Sorry to bust in on this discussion with no real help for the wind power but I just had to share what I was thinking. :D
    Mark

17. meistertek

meistertek Member

That's fine Mark, that's what I like around here is that we share ideas!

18. meistertek

meistertek Member

[quote="TigerPilot
    Sorry for not getting faster back to you, Dan. I didn't see your post yesterday.

I don't have a wind generator to charge my batteries but my neighbor does. He used to have four small commercially bought generators, the 400W type, in conjunction with photo voltaic cells. When the generators worked, he had reduced external electricity consumption. The problem he had was that the propellers broke to easily. He now has no wind generators since it is difficult to get here replacement. I was going to make the generator I posted but had problem finding the magnets here and now it is a mute point since I sold my house and am heading home to Terra firma (SP), That is North America, for those who don't know. :D
    Thanks for the feeback on wind power Yoram. I am pretty sure we won't go with wind power after your story and some others I have heard about. It seems like generators and solar are the best way to go with smaller battery banks like we are going to use.

Where are you moving to in North America?

19. meistertek

meistertek Member

We have been data logging our new charging station for a three weeks now and it looks like we are using about 140Ah in one week

Saturday 40Ah
    Tuesday 20Ah
    Thursday 20Ah
    Saturday 60Ah

I will continue taking data for the next few weeks to see if this trend continues.

20. meistertek

meistertek Member

We have been bulk charging our batteries at the flying field with a 2 cycle 1200 watt generator and an old 30 amp battery charger. From the data logger it looks like this charger never really fully charges the batteries, plus this unit kicks off after 20 to 30 minutes of charging. I dont think this poor Mity Mite charger was designed for charging 335Ah worth of batteries!

....So I finally broke down and got a charger designed to do what we need, and IOTA DLS-55:
    Here are the details on this Power Converter / Charger:
    About these units in general: http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls.htm
    The unit I bought DLS-55: http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls55.htm
    I also got a IQ Smart Charger to add to the above unit, to add 3 stage charging.
    This setup cost $180
    We'll see how it works as early as this weekend. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. meistertek

meistertek Member

Finally got two good weeks of Amp Hour usage data:

Week 1 (July 14th -21st) 43Ah Total Used

Week 2 (July 21st - 28th) 43Ah Total Used

22. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

WOW, that isn't all that much...or at least not what I would expect. Occasionally when I got to meets I find myself bumming charges at the end of the day as my 98AH batter is dead, and that's just me charging... If I try to get 2 days of charges at the club field on a nice weekend, my battery is dead 1/2 way through Sunday.

23. kram242

Its pretty amazing that its the same for both set of weeks
    Mark and Trish

24. meistertek

meistertek Member

It is weird how the data was almost exactly the same! Here is what we charged on those two weeks:

quite a few 850mAh 3 cell packs
    a few 2200mAh 3 cell packs
    a few 2200mAh 4 cell packs
    one 4000mAh 4 cell pack

We'll see what the data looks like from this week though, we hammered the charging station on Saturday for about 10 hours straight and I had to switch out two 125Ah batteries because they were dead. I'm guessing that we used more than 125Ah in that one day.

Here are the data charts from the last two weeks: Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. meistertek

meistertek Member

I have been working on a quick disconnect system for our deep cycle batteries, this system will make it much easier to grab the batteries and bring them home for charging or maintenance. This will allow up to four deep cycle batteries to be connected in parallel.
    Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]