1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

AimRight Airbrush Stand

Discussion in 'Functional Designs' started by power67, Nov 10, 2010.

1. power67

power67 New Member

Hello all,
    Mark asked me to start posting some of my project so here is an airbrush stand that I worked up. Keep in mind that I do sell this item so please keep it to yourself.

If you want to help out a startup "Phlat-Biz" you can order one from me for at a Phlat Forum price of $7.99 shipped to US.

[​IMG]

I modified the code for a 1/16" bit and removed the center logo, as I am sure many of you do not use the insane small bits that I use. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG] Attached files Airbrush Stand Upload Code.cnc (26.8 KB)Â Airbrush Stand Upload.skp (941.9 KB)Â

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Thanks, power67, nice project.
    What kind of 'insane' small bits do you use?

3. power67

power67 New Member

I use everything from .03125 down to .0100 or 1/32" down to 10 thousands of an inch.

Mark wanted me to post another project that I did cutting a stencil with a .012 bit with letters that where only .090 tall. Man that one was a pain.

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Neat little stand. Is there weight on the bottom as I would think the weight of the bush would tip it over.

Anyway, where do you get those small bits? I have some paint template work I have lined up for when my PP is built and the smaller the bit the better. Also what material are you using for the stencils? I need something that will hold up to production work, but still be a little bit flexible. I was thinking of using seetemp material. I have some laying around to try. Just not sure if it will slide around in the rollers.

5. power67

power67 New Member

the is no weight needed for the base. I sized the base to hold up 1 or two brushes with out tipping over.

As for the bits, well, I have resorted to having them made for me. Right now they cost about $11.00 a piece for the .03125 bits. I have to buy them in bulk, the guy really does not like making them. The nice thing is I have them made with a LOC of .270, which is not that common. Normally that it way to long of a cut for this size bit. I have them made with a chip breaker cut that cuts the foam like glass.

For the stencils, I have tried about every plastic that I can get my hands on, ranging in thickness from .005 to .015 even .020, the problem is, unless you can slow down your spindle speed, the plastic still melts with this small of a bit. I wound up making multiple passes at .005 brass shim stock, here is a look at it. the quality in this one is bad :cry: as my z gantry is having some issues. The lines for each letter came out at almost .020 from a .012 bit.
    [​IMG]

Each one of the small marks on the ruler is .010 or ten thousands of an inch. another scale is that the lines cut are not much wider than the grooves in my finger print.

Let me know what you think, and if I can help you out any further.

6. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that's small. Impressive.

7. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I really like this!! I'll be making one soon, but I'll be using MDF for mine (hey, I need to test out the new PhlatPrinter on harder stuff anyway).

Thanks for offering this up, Ross!

8. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

That tiny stuff is really cool. Was that cut with the PhlatPritner?

9. power67

power67 New Member

Yep, a slightly modded MKII