1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

angry bird

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by nstaller, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Just completed the maiden this morning in the lot next door to my home.

This is a very small area and I normally do not fly here, but the weather has not been good lately. We had rain this morning and as it stopped the wind was starting to build, so I risked a quick flight to get an idea how it would fly.

As it turns out, it flew beautifully! Did just what I thought it would do. I am pleased!

The only concern I have now is the battery. I think it could use a 3 cell battery if I am to be able to do some tricks with it. The 2 cell required 3/4 throttle to fly efficiently, so there was not much room left over for getting out of trouble.

Of course a bigger battery means opening up the battery compartment a bit. Actually, I have an 850 3 cell that fits in the compartment but it is wider and would mean adding maybe one more layer of foam to enclose it and maybe I could mill out the recesses a bit deeper to get it to fit, but anyway, that should be a fairly simple fix.

I'll try to get some video later when I can get out to more open area. The wind has picked up now and I need someone to run the camera, so maybe Sunday or Monday for the next opportunity to get some video.

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Looks GREAT. Love the re-work, especially the positive incidence built in. Do you need to add reflex to the elevons or are the straight with the wing?

3. Flashsolutions

Not sure I understand your question, but the elevons are straight with the wing and require a small amount of up elevator to keep it flying neutral.

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Yep, that's what I meant. Reflex is when the TE is up in relation to the chord.

THANKS

5. Flashsolutions

I made an add on mod for the Angry Bird V2 to fit an 850 mah 3 cell battery into the beak.

The battery I am using is http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18203.

Laminate the two sections together with 3M 77 or equivalent and affix magnets to hold in place.

Keep the original cover for your 2 cell batteries. This way you can exchange the packs easily.

The 2 cell battery I use is http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl800-2s1p-20c-2222.html which is only a 20c rating so the newer 850 mah nano-tech batteries should provide a much better punch. Attached files AngryBirdV2_3CellBatteryMod.skp (945.4 KB)Â

6. nstaller

nstaller Member

congrats on the mods, Gonna use that batt mod for sure. I have been flying mine on a 3s 800ish pack right at the beak and it flies good, I have cut out another one with a rudder on it but havent had time to put the equiptment on it.
    With the motor setup I am using it really scoots along at full throttle.

7. Flashsolutions

I expect the 3 cell will liven her up quite a bit! I forgot to mention I am using a 1400KV motor with a modifed 10x4.7 slow fly prop in which I cut the tips off to fit.

By the way, I want to give you a special thanks for posting the Angry Bird in the first place. I just love finding little nuggets like this one. I am always on the lookout for the strange "can't believe that can fly" craft.

I have not been in the mood to build anything for quite some time due to the hot weather here in Florida, but now that it is cooling off, it has been quite enjoyable to get back into the shop.

8. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

That 15% mod is a great approach to fixing a real visual issue. Hopefully the overall weight bump won't remove to much float.

9. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

Well even though my PP is out of commission right now I really wanted to make one of these. I made some tiled plans and printed them out. While I was tracing and cutting the pieces, my 7 yr old came over to see what I was doing. He asked me why I was not using my PP, so I told him it was not working. His response cracked me up. He said, "So, you are doing it old school?"

Here is a picture of the "old School" sharpie mod and my bird almost complete. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

Flash, where should the c/g be on the V2? I used a 3c 850 and I ended up in the dirt. I did not have enough throw in the elevons to keep the nose up.

11. Flashsolutions

The 850 seems to be a bit too heavy. I ended up extending the elevons with some 1/32" lite ply I had laying around. That seemed to help a lot, but is too nose heavy given the current mounting location. The 800 2 cell seems to be about perfect with the CG being just behind the front prop opening. But the 2 cell lacks the punch I would like to see.

I may have to find another place to mount the 3 cell.

I had flown the angry bird for about 10 minutes or so earlier in the day before my camera man showed up, but did not have any fully charged batteries left by the time he showed up, so the video I have is short. Also, the wind had picked up by that time and was blowing directly toward me. I had one exciting moment there as the bird bared down on me, catching me off guard.

That may be in one of the other clips. I need to go thru them and see if I can edit some of the cuts together, but for now, here is the unedited clip from take 1 and 2.

During the 10 minute flight with the 2 cell, it did really well. With the battery being low, subsequent flights did not measure up.

One time, I flew it directly into the sun and lost it, but it is quite sturdy and did not sustain any damage.

You can see the extended elevons in the first few seconds of the video.

You will have a good laugh as I took off with the stand still in place :D

Here is take 5 of the series...

Attached files [​IMG]

12. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

So, after my first Angry Bird flew off the sling shot and crashed I had to build another one.

This time I made some changes. I'm using a 3c 800, which makes the bird beak heavy. I moved the battery aft as far as I could and still have it concealed by the beak (a little over 1/2"). I also moved the motor aft 3/4". Then I made the elevons a lot bigger. At the largest point, they are 5".

I finished the bird at 6 pm Friday night. At 7 pm I had to meet up with my Scouts and at 8 pm I was scheduled to demo some RC planes. I was hoping to test the Angry Bird first, but I ran out of time. Luckily, we served everyone pizza first, so they cleared the gym to go eat. My friend and I were able to test the bird. It flew well, but I think the prop is too small. I'm running a 8 x 6 and I don't think it's pushing enough air over the elevons at slow speeds. I still think it is a little beak heavy. I plan on flipping the motor around, so it is a tractor. The prop will remain in the same spot, but the motors weight will be aft. With battery it's weighing in a 10.6oz.

All of that aside, the kids freaked out over this plane. I had it hidden, but as soon as I brought it out the kids started yelling "Angry Birds!" The event was a success. Thank you to everyone that was involved in making this plane, original and V2. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

How did the bird fly with the motor in the tractor position? I'm going to make one with a few changes as noted above. One thing was the prop size also , getting enough air over the control's so a bigger prop cut out would need to be done. And try to stay with a 3 cell 800-1300 battery unless I can get a 2 cell with a high "C" rating like 30-40.

14. Flashsolutions

I finally got a chance to get some better video, this time with a fully charged battery!

True to form, the Angry Bird tried to take out the guy at the Pilot Station next to me. A quick response was needed to put the bird down and we all got a laugh from it in the end.

As you can see, the Angry Bird flies pretty good, given the nature of the beast.

15. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Flying great Flash! :doubleup: Cool video
    Now we can make the giant sling shot and shoot off EDF versions :D
    Thanks for sharing this
    Mark and Trish

16. rcric

rcric New Member

Wow I came to this site to see if anyone had a flying superhero and I see my video of angry birds. Very Funny!!!!
    RCRICH

17. kram242

Fantastic job RCRICH this one is bringing a lot of fun to the guyz :good:
    Mark and Trish

18. rcric

rcric New Member

Thanks. I will have something different soon that you will enjoy!
    rcrich

19. Flashsolutions

Ha, So you're the guy who started all this! Great job!

I have gotten a kick out of flying mine around the field and listening to the comments from the peanut gallery.

What surprises me is how many old farts have never heard of Angry Bird. I have to tell them to ask their grandkids, they will know :lol: .

Looking forward to see what you come up with next.

20. pagercam

pagercam New Member

Let me guess - maybe a flying watermelon from "Fruit Ninja" ???

21. kram242

LOL :lol:
    that would be cool! :lol: