1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

BB Teaser Pic

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by kram242, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Chuck

Chuck New Member

As you know, I have just completed the MKII and it is up and running. I still need to learn how to do the things I want to do with it. I am already intrigued by your new project (Balsa Buddy) so you might just as well mark me down as a prospective buyer. You guys are amazing! If this keep up, you will need to design a machine that will cut out a "granny flat" because I will probably have to live in the back yard. Good luck on this one...

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

2. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

You know what Mark..... I'm already considering ways to Frankenbear the little beastie!! :lol: Now where did I put those 800oz steppers...... :D

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

LOL thanks Chuck! :D
    We always look forward to your mods Fozzy its going to be too cool!
    Mark and Trish

4. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Count me in on one when they are ready to purchase :) Way to Mark and Trish!!!! :D

5. filthybeast

filthybeast New Member

Count me in to, I really need one, just a matter of time before I lose a finger on the bandsaw :cry:

6. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Mark, Awesome addition to the product line!! I have non plane related projects I would love to have this type of machine to use. Early next year???

7. kram242

Thanks for the support guys! :)
    When the monster Phlatbed machine gets here this is one of the first cuts on the machine.
    We have been prototyping for a while now and want to be sure that we have a really strong machine that can cut and carve thicker/harder materials.
    This machine will be nice in that you can cut foam parts too and then switch over to cutting 1/8" plexi if you want to make a clear glue-stick dispenser for instance :D
    One nice thing about the BalsaBuddy is that its small, but I don't think people will grasp the concept of the size of the cuts that can be made on it because of the virtually unlimited X axis until they see what it can make.
    In a way for me it will be better than the standard overhead gantry table machines out there in that you will be able to cut way bigger then most of them can, due to the fact that they are limited to the table size of the machine they are using. It would just be a matter of how you lay your parts out on the BalsaBuddy really.
    It will also be nice to do all the plywood parts needed for the firewalls,control horns and landing gears in this hobby. We will be able to prototype the parts for a project in foam or cardboard and then cut them from wood or plastic all on the same machine.
    We are very excited about this one and can't wait to show you guys some of the prototypes and design changes we go through to get a great machine.
    With this new machine we are hoping to have the feeds live as we build and test it so that you guys can be a part of the process and share your inputs as well. It would be great to have the ideas of all of us built into this machine before it goes out the door. So stay tuned as we move forward into the Phlatboyz future with the BalsaBuddy its going to be great!
    Thanks again guys for you support and comments :)
    Mark and Trish

8. iflyos

iflyos Member

I know it is to early to ask, but do you have a very rough ballpark price range yet, Mark? Just curious as to what I need to squirrel away...

Tim
    AG4RZ

9. kram242

Tim,
    Not at the moment mainly because of the new gantry system we are trying to work up. We think you guys will like it. Its a lot like the MKII with a twist. I promise I will post more pics and video as we get closer to testing. :)
    Mark

10. Doane

Doane New Member

Any chance that the Balsa Buddy will be available by Christmas (Santa would like my list as early as possible)?

11. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Doane,

We really wish it would be ready for Christmas but we are working out some details to make the Balsa Buddy as great as it can be. At this point, it's looking like early 2010. We're very excited about it and can't wait for the official release. Thank you for your interest.

Mark and Trish

12. ApachePilot

ApachePilot New Member

Can I get that in aluminum diamond plate? ;) Nah, it looks great!!!

AP

13. kram242

:) That would be cool!

14. Doane

Doane New Member

Hi Mark, is there anything new on the Balsa Buddy (pictures, specs, ...)?

Merry Christmas to All!!!!!

15. kram242

Hello Doane,
    We are about a week away from getting our new big machine (Phlatbed) and will then start the prototyping of the BB. There are about 3 version from the one in the photo seen here that need to be tested, the final version will be from the one that preforms the best of these. Then the testing on that one will begin and changes will be made. I really do not want to get to many pics up there yet until we decide on the one that will be the closet to the final version out there.
    Thank you for your interest, it should not be long now :)
    Mark

16. filthybeast

filthybeast New Member

Bump! Any updates? Tax time is here, my phlatmoney is comin soon & the BB is on the top of my buying list-

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

beast - if you really must spend the money as soon as it arrives, why not send M&T a $400 deposit for the first BB? If there's any overage, they would refund it to you in a heartbeat. :)

18. filthybeast

filthybeast New Member

If it were really burning a hole Id find something to spend it on believe me, gramma & grampa, God bless their souls tought me the value of saving years ago, I can hold it long as it takes.
    I want to cut some carbon fiber sheet, even tho Ive done it with my mark1 I dont like the dust inside my house. The BB sounds perfect for this, Ill put it outside when I cut fiber.

19. frankmcneilll

frankmcneilll New Member

Hi Mark and Trish,

It looks like a lot of people will be standing in line to buy BalsaBuddy machines. I hope so, because little BB machines that can cut wood and soft nonferrous metals would be able to convert a lot of virtual ships and boats currently stashed in Google's SketchUp Warehouse into fire-breathing little pop-pop steamboats.

Best wishes, Frank

20. kram242

Thank you Frank,
    We sure hope to make this the best machine it can be while keeping it as affordable as possible.
    I am hoping with the new machine I can really take my time and work in as many features as I can.
    We can't wait to get this going its going to be super exciting!
    We are getting closer to having a working prototype to show you guys soon. :)
    Mark and Trish

21. kram242

Ok boyz! Well, we have been prototyping some of the BB parts and have some pictures to share with you guyz. This is a modular section for cnc machines that we have been trying to incorporate into the BB for ease of assemble/disassembly.
    There is no glue required :D
    Hope you like them.
    Mark and Trish Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I like the no glue required concept.
    It looks like the big daddy cnc is getting put to use...Yay!

23. kram242

BB logo test route :D

Attached files [​IMG]

24. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

WooHoo! Go ahead and ship mine! :lol:

25. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

mark, trish looks great man. nice lookin z-axis...bet that new quick cnc chews that mdf up..randy.