1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Bird's the Word

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by Bohh, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

The Eagle presents some unique problems... The extreme tight angles in the scallops causes overshoot in the offset tool that the phlatcode generates.

I had to edit the files to get rid of the overshoot.

I also use a 1/16" bit because the angles are so sharp.

Because I modify everything I get my hands on, it is unlikely you are using the same code as me, so I am posting my complete set of files for both the small and large Eagles that I build from.

I think you will find these work very well. If not, please let me know.

By the way, for the small Eagle, sheet 2 has 3 copies of the fuse parts. I cut out extra parts for making more than one. So I then cut 3 sheet 1 and 1 sheet 2 and end up with 3 eagles.

Here is some video taken from the nose section of the 56" SouthernEagle.

2. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

I thought these were the ones I was using. I noticed he stated he had the same problem of it jumping all over the place as well. I DL'd the file flash put up and will try them next time I can.

3. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

Thanks Flash,

I'll try these out and get back to you. One thing I may have been over looking is that I was still using a 1/8 bit. That may have been part of the problem, So I may end up having to go by lowes and pick up a 1/16 as well.

On a side note: I know at one time mark was looking at making up a different size bit kit. Did that ever happen? If not, where are most of you guys getting yours?

4. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

5. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

Yes, All I could want IF I knew what I was looking for. I've found bits in 1/16 but none like the one the phlaty uses. Let me ask it this way. What size, type cutter, lenght of cutting area bits are you guys using? All the ones I have seen seem to be too short. Just how long a cutting area is needed?

6. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Bohh, i wanted to share my latest flight with you. we get out early in the mornings and fly to we get tired, then get out the chairs and kick back. i decided to throw up the eagle wile just sittin ther. it was around noon with a 3mph calm wind. i flew it over by the soccer field, and the thing started to go up like a balloon. i was like what the heck, turned around and went back.....the same thing, the eagle looked as if it had went up 100feet!! this was with no power at all...so i started to circle the same spot, and the bird kept going up and up...with no power..as i sat ther just going in circles, it went so high i could barely see it. it was very cool wile all along the motor was off. well after 45 mins i finally landed...when i filled up the pack it only took 750mah on a 2100pack. it is my kick back, no stress model. randy.

7. Rowedent

Rowedent Member

I cut out Flashsolutions's smaller FFF version of the plane and was planning to use a new Turnigy_2211_Brushless_Motor_1700kv 19gram motor or a beat up 18_11_2000kv_Micro_Brushless_Outrunner_10g motor and a couple of 5 gram servos. From what I can tell, the wings are flat except for the tips, but what are the fold lines on the trailing edge for, and I'm not sure how the tail feathers attach.... Does anyone recollect?

8. Rowedent

Rowedent Member

got it made...first flight didn't go so well. Since then I have rounded the leading edge and sunk the leading edge deeper into the fuselage. I'll try it out tomorrow. I saw that someone said the CG is 2.375 inches back from the leading edge in the middle for the 56 incher so I'm trying 1.5 inches back for the 36 inch small bird.
    I mounted the tail differently, having it come out the side of the rear fuselage cover instead of a V sitting on top. I think this has changed the setup. Attached files [​IMG]

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Looks great Rowedent! :doubleup: I like the way you worked out the wing holder pegs seems like they will be very strong.
    Good luck on the new maiden flight.
    Mark and Trish

10. Rowedent

Rowedent Member

Thanks, i think i will have to rework the wing adding in some dihedral, it is way to unstable. I just used som felt tip pens to give it some color and it worked out well.
    I just finished the p51d from ken with my son, and have been flying his funbat modification. I also made the sketchup and cut file or the bluebaby and built one with my other son and another with his friend and a third with a modified wing for me. My little ripper flew great till i snapped the wing...need more cf.
    I guess i have cut out atleast 10 planes and given away 4 so far and am having a good time with the mkiii. Thanks for your support,
    Wilson :dance3:

11. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Awesome to hear Wilson :good:
    Thank you for the kind words
    Mark and Trish