1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Build Tips

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Build Support' started by Flashsolutions, Nov 23, 2010.

1. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

How long were the 1/4 x 20 bolts you guys used? I'll be making a hardware run within the next few days. Trying to make a list and one trip if possible. So far I have the pulley grub srew swap and these stepper bolts. Now to find the tap set I placed somewhere in the garage quite some time ago.

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I forget. I think i just used what I had on hand at the time.... just measure the stepper mounting plate thickness, and add the 1/4" for the MDF and some extra for a washer, plus a little sticking out.

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

3/4" are fine but 2 will need to be 1 1/2" on the X axis stepper. I bought a box full of 1" long bolts because the box was cheaper than just a few.

4. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Not so much as a build tip, but, on finishing my P3, I made stupid my final step. Forgot to lift the Z gantry up a bit higher and jammed the pressure roller into it as I was raising it to the up position. This sent the top bearing through the MDF and damaging the Y7 piece. I'll order a new one but after some thinking and digging through what I had on hand, I found some roof truss support plates left over from a recent fence project. Whipped out the dremel and cut off a chunk of it. Cleaned the burrs and found a few matching machine type screws. Add washers and made a retention plate to secure the bearing. So far its working like a charm but I haven't tried loading it yet.

I know I wont be the last guy to rip up his Z gantry. Necessity, Mother of improvise, adapt and overcome. Attached files [​IMG]

5. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Yep, Been there, done that too. Am trying to get into the habit of raising the gantry when done cutting now. I like this mod. I will be doing it to mine as well. Thanks for the tip.

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice idea Toxic! thank you for sharing this
    Mark and Trish

7. 2xWhiskey

2xWhiskey New Member

+1 on tapping the stepper motors with 1/4 20 threads. I'm in the middle of building #42 and wanted easier mounting for when I decide to go back and apply shellac for moisture proofing the MDF.

8. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I had put one side of the belt in its seat and put the cover on. I then started the screw, but just started. I lifted a bit the cover and shoved the other side of the belt in until it was seating well. I clamped with my thumb the cover down and now I could screw the screw tight. :dance3:

I didn't tap my steppers with 1/4". I thought it would make the walls of the hole to thin. I wanted to do it with #12/32 screws but they are hard to get. 6mm, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen so that what I ended up using. You don't even have to drill the hole for the tap. :doubleup:

9. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I went into the ruby script that makes the phlatscript and changed the line, at the bottom, where it says 'G0 Z0' to 'G0 Z2'. Now it goes at the end of the job to the top, or almost to the top. Since I have the limit switches it makes no difference how thick the material. that I cut, is. It will only go maximum as high as the limit switch.