1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Con's Craft Box

Discussion in 'Functional Art/Craft Designs and Others' started by Crash, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Okay, so my wife, Connie (or, Con, as I call her) is big into Scrapbooking and Crafts, and such. She comes back from the craft store with this kit (5 pieces of CNC cut MDF) for a "craft box". She tells me that folks buy and decorate these things for all kinds of purposes - Valentine's Day Cards, postcards, recipe cards, etc. What got me was that she paid $10 for these five pieces of MDF. Now I haven't put a pencil to it, but I can't see how there could possibly be more than $1 worth of material in this thing.

My two daughters decided that they each just had to have one, so rather than the wife dropping another $20 plus tax for something that I could IMPROVE upon and make for only a couple of dollars, I decided to put my MKII and my FLA 3x3 both to work.

The files I'm including are both my SketchUp file and the PhlatCode I used on my MKII to do a "proof of concept" prototype. I set up the code for a 1/8" bit and the feedrate is 100 ipm. The main reason I decided to share this silly thing is that you guys out there may have "significant others" that are also into Arts and Crafts and not only can this save you some money, but it can help you to share your CNC hobby with your honey (not to mention the fact that it may help you to "justify" other expenses down the line :D).

It's my intention, now that I know my design works okay in foam, to slap some 1/4" MDF up on the FLA machine and cut several "kits" of these. The wife says that if I can provide the kits, she could sell at least 2 dozen of them to her friends. Hmmm....24 time approximately $9 profit = over $200 in my pocket!

I would bet that if you bought one of those fancy new bit kits from the PhlatBoyZ and put my files through Fozzie's Manglerizer, you could cut these out of MDF on your PhlatPrinter! Attached files [​IMG] Cons Craft Box.zip (2.4 MB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

way to go mike...get that fine-line working for ya.....randy.