1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Crash's MKII Build Log

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter MKII BUILD LOGS' started by Crash, Jun 22, 2009.

1. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Yoram, do you mean sling the cpu underneath the shelf ? or use straps to hold it in the same place as Crash's ? I think both are good ideas. The cpu I'm using is so much bigger than the one Crash is using that it will interfere with the RotoZip flex shaft, if placed on the back, unless maybe I raise it as high as possible. If I sling it below the shelf I will need to cut notches in the cross members, otherwise the cpu will be practicaly sitting on the floor. I was thinking of building a box, open in the front and back,and building it into the base just below the shelf. You got me thinking of more ways to mount this cpu and nothing will be cast in stone (or cut from MDF) until I get the bones and measure everything. Everything is optional. Great Idea, good old Velcro, I love it :)

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Thanks Crash, fro sharing your build, as usual. I didn't know they made a pc that small and it looks like it fits so nice. So I just bought one from ebay for $79 shipped. The specs are: Dell Optiplex SX260 Pentium 4, 2.6Ghz, 512Mb 10Gb HD Here's the link, for a look see. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0360408973 But looks like it was such a good deal, someone just bought all of the remaining 6 units. If you guys look for these on ebay, I would suggest not buying one that is not complete, like without HD, powersupply, cdrom, or memory. It's very expensive to buy each item on their own. Mine also looks like it comes with a stand, so I probably won't have to drill cooling holes on the bottom.

-Kwok

3. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Kwok, that's almost exactly what I have. My unit has a 20gb HDD and 768mb ram. I also have the stand with mine but plan to not use it. Drilling the cooling holes in the ledge will allow the computer to sit a little lower and also ensure that it won't suck up any dust from the hole in the back of the stand. I plane to run a long velcro strap to strap it against the back of the stand (to keep it from falling off when I roll the stand around) and also will use a forstener bit to drill a hole on the side of the stand to allow me to put a finger through to push on the power button.

I totally agree with you on not getting one of these without the HDD, or other components. It seems there are tons of these computers available on eBay, but most are missing components. This is a very popular machine and many are still in use, so the ones that get yanked out of their work environments are being stripped for parts and resold for support to the machines that are still in operation.

When you get yours, you might consider using the Ubuntu 8.04 image along with EMC like TVCasualty is using. I'm very impressed with what I've seen thus far with this OS.

Thanks to all for your kind words on my build log/review. My scope of this is to provide a very good resource for MKII customers down the line. The build vids are great, but sometimes some still pics really aid the builder in understanding how the pieces go together. LOL

I am planning to do some paint testing today with the Kilz aerosol primer and a few spray paints that I have on hand to determine how well the different paints work over the Kilz. I am hoping to resume my MKII build tomorrow and have the machine in operation by the end of the weekend.

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mike, what about putting the computer lower, that ledge right above the caster wheel?

I do have a Dell GX240 p4 1.8Ghz, which I have the EMC Ubuntu and WinXP installed, dual boot. So, I have been messing with it, a little.

-Kwok

5. Crash

Hmmm.. I'll check that out later and see how it looks. Another option for this is to simply mount it just below the dust collection drawer. If you were to cut a piece of 1/2" MDF the size of that space and screw it in from the top down (pulling the drawer out first, of course, and counter-sinking the screws) You would end up with enough load distribution to hang the computer from that. You would want to make sure you could get to the power button, though, but I think it would work nicely. Would you like me to get you a measurement of the X and Y dimensions underneath there?

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

How about measuring the vertical distance between the top ledge, where you have you computer; to the bottom ledge? You could also put a board between the two back casters, basically forming a full bottom ledge? Where you have the computer, now, you still got the parallel cable which could interfere with the flex shaft.

7. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Crash, I could certainly use those dimensions + any others in that area, like the height of the front and back cross members. I hope I'm not imposing. I have a very good idea of what I'm going to do, but the more dimensions I have the clearer the picture in my head gets.

8. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I meant to strap it in the same place as Crash did. It's a good idea to do it anyway, even for Crash, since it could fall off otherwise if you bump against the cabinet.

9. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Looking Great Mike, I am working on mine as we speak , I am having problems with my Camera so I may not get as many pics as you!! Thanks for all the tech tips!! :mrgreen:

John

10. Crash

No prob, bud! If you run into any snag, please feel free to phone me!

11. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

hey mike, i just seen your first cut video....looks great bud...nice job. randy.

12. Crash

Thanks, Randy! It sure has been a fun build, and she performs exactly as she should. It's awesome having that much power now in MY OWN workshop! LOL

13. R&RRC

R&RRC New Member

Great thread, Mike!

Very nice and informative build thread! This has helped to relieve the pain of waiting on my own build. :lol: Living my dream through others. Thanks for posting all the info, and especially the video! It is great to see everything run and work flawlessly.

I got mine in the mail today and am excited to get started on it tomorrow after my Chemistry 2 exam. Woohoo! Can't wait to run the first sheet through it and start cranking out kits!

Thanks again,
    Reegan
    R&RRC Designs

14. Crash

You are quite welcome! Congrats on getting yours. If you have any questions along the way, feel free to PM me and we'll get in touch.

There's nothing like the PhlatPrinter for making your dreams a reality, and now in even shorter order!

15. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Mike, love the build log. I have a few questions for you though about your choice of hardware. I'm gearing up to push the button on an mk2 soon and wondering if I should upgrade the steppers like you did. What advantages/challenges did you find with the vexta motors? Which models did you purchase and did you have any problems with them? Did you need to use mpja's customer support at all?

Why did you opt for the 24v psu and which model did you choose?

And finally (thanks!), did you have any problems configuring the easy cnc card to work with these components?

Sorry to inundate you, but if I am going to upgrade these parts, I'd rather do it on the front end during the build rather than after!

Any other upgrades you or others would recommend?

Thanks,

Chris.

16. Crash

I'm always happy to help a brotha out when it comes to this stuff, Chris!

After building an MKI machine last year and using the complete Easy-CNC package, I felt that I could do better with putting together a component package on my own. It was kind of a challenge for me. :D When you buy the complete package from Easy-CNC, it will set you back $230, is memory serves, so that was my target to beat.

Those of us that have built an MKI know that, for optimal performance, you really need a stronger stepper than the "used" Easy-CNC steppers for the MKI machine, since it is a direct-drive machine (stepper motor hooks direct to drive screw). Honestly, those steppers will work just fine in the MKII machine because the drive-train is not direct, but a "geared" pulley system instead.

The stepper that I ended up using is this one:

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17748+MS

When you wire this stepper "bipolar" (just like the Easy-CNC stepper is wired), it will yield approximately 166 oz-in of torque. The Easy-CNC steppers, since they are "take-offs" (read USED) are supposed to supply only 90 oz-in of torque (if they are up to snuff, so to speak). More has got to be better, right? LOL

The only challenge with wiring these steppers is that they are 6 wire motors instead of 4 wire motors (like the Easy-CNC ones). No problem though - you just splice two of the wires together, leaving you with the 4 wires necessary to wire to the board. I would be happy to talk you through this wiring should you decide to go my route. These motors have performed quite nicely on my machine and there was no need to get MPJA's support involved, since they provided the necessary wiring info with my shipment.

Why did I use a 24v power supply? Easy - it was cheaper! LOL The Easy-CNC card works with a range of power from 12v to 32 volt (they actually recommend 24v 2-6 amp on the Easy-CNC website) - my power supply is a 6.5 amp, 24v supply and only cost me $14.95 (link posted below):

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16854+PS

The only things I had left to buy that I didn't have, but was supplied with the Easy-CNC package were the AC wires, plug, and Printer Cable. I had an old shorted out extension cord that I robbed the wire and plug from, and I got the printer cable from MPJA :

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=11453+CB

Now all this being said, after I purchased the card from eBay seller, Autohec (the guy that IS Easy-CNC) for only $120 shipped, my entire package cost me right at $185, thus saving me about $45 over buying the package from Easy-CNC AND yielding me NEW and more powerful steppers.

Problems with running my configuration with the Easy-CNC card? None at all! There is one thing that you should be aware of, though. The page that shows the Vexta stepper motor specs show that the motors are capable of as much as 2 amps of current. NOTE THAT THIS IS ONLY IF THE MOTOR IS WIRED UNIPOLAR! Since the Easy-CNC card is a BIPOLAR card, you must limit the current to only 1.4 amps. You do this by "tuning" the voltage on each of the axis' pots on the card. This is something you will be doing even if you use Easy-CNC's steppers, though.

Now, for the record, there is yet another way to save some money on the electronics package for EITHER machine. Rather than trying to score the lowest price possible on eBay for the Easy-CNC board, if you know someone that have some good soldering and electronics experience, you can get some help assembling this kit:

http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbyc ... oard-kits/

With this card and the components I've talked about above, you could easily increase your savings from my $45 to about $80 total (meaning a total expenditure of about $150!). However, I would just recommend watching Autohec's auctions and snagging up one of his deals - even if it means watching for a few weeks. While it is my opinion that the Easy-CNC steppers and power supply are less than an optimal value, the card is an incredible piece of electronics. It's easy to set up and use, and if you blow one of the chips, they are fairly easily replaced, although I haven't blown one on either of my two cards and I've run the crap out of them! :lol:

Finally, any other upgrades? Hmm....If you were considering getting an MKI, I would have some good direction for you, but since you've already mentioned that it's the MKII that you're pining for, there are only two upgrades that I would recommend:

1. GET THE STAND! :D It is the best investment for the machine. The whole ability to flip your machine over 180 degrees (Phlat-Flip, for maintenance, etc.) is the most ingenious concept I've seen yet!

2. Consider getting yourself a set of 4-pin male and female plugs. Rather than using the terminal blocks that the PhlatBoyZ supply for connecting the motor wires to the wiring harness, you can use these plugs instead, thus yielding a nice positive connection. I have to wonder if some of the IC failures on some people's driver cards wasn't due to a loose connection of a wire in the terminal block. Since the Z stepper is moving around on the Y/Z gantry, there can be movement of the wire in the terminal block causing it to work it's way loose. We already know that if you try to disconnect the wires from the driver card while the power is on, there is a likely chance that you'll blow an IC chip. The plug instead of the terminal block just made good sense to me. Plus, since I already had planned to use these plugs on my new overhead gantry machine, it just made sense to order enough for the MKII, too. Think about it - as Mark has more time to brainstorm, what if he comes up with a way to put some sort of "apparatus" on the top of the machine (let's say, instead of the lid) to perform yet another awesome function (I'm thinking CNC hotwire cutter???), wouldn't it be nice to be able to leave all of the steppers in the bottom of the cabinet, snag up a couple more of those cheapie Vextas, and easily move your wiring from the bottom steppers and up to some top steppers? :lol I'm always trying to think ahead! :D

Here's a link to the eBay store where I got my connectors (they currently only have the 6 wire connectors in stock, but I used the 4 wire connectors on my machines):

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/HUBBARD-CNC ... QQ_armrsZ1

Other than those two little mods, I can think of absolutely no other modification to do to this incredible machine. It's about as perfect as anything I've ever seen!

If you need any help whatsoever down the line, feel free to PM me. We can exchange phone numbers or Skype ID's and I can talk you through anything you need to know!

17. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Crash,

I bought the same steppers as you did, man what a difference it made. I already purchased the complete easy-cnc package. But one of my steppers was bad. For $38 bucks I got 3 new ones :)

The power supply you reference is perfect and what a deal @ $14.95. Man thanks for posting this, it will help many new owners out to improve their phlatprinters performance.

Cheers,

-Peter

18. Crash

I'm happy to help anyone I can. Goodness knows, when I first started this CNC "game" I didn't know squat about it and finding good info was like pulling teeth. I ended up just giving up. Then Mark and Trish came along to hold our hands and teach us the "Jedi" ways of the CNC Force. :) Anytime I can share my combinations and tips that I've been able to pick up along my journey, I will!

Incidentally, what will you be doing with your remaining two stock steppers? I have saved my original three but am in need of one more. I'm tinkering with a design for a 4 axis CNC hotwire cutter that will actually clamp onto my 3x3 machine. Creating this "fixture" will allow me to use my decked and accurately flat cutting deck, but also allow me to use the same 4 axis card (Gecko 540) from the big machine. Anyway, rather than buying 4 more new steppers, I would love to score 1 more of these guys to use in prototyping. If you want to turn loose of one, I'd love to buy it from you, Peter.

19. ToxicToast

Wow, thanks a ton for that epic post, Crash! Answered all of my current and future questions. Without a doubt, I'll be ordering the steppers/psu long before I even order my MK2.

Thanks a million. Love the show, btw. Always learnging something new when I listen.

20. MartinT

MartinT Member

Those steppers are cheap!
    Are they comparable in performance to the ones from EasyCNC?

21. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

MartinT, if you're one of the many people who believe that anything that costs less must be worth less, nothing will ever convince you.
    However, if you have an open mind, just read how many of us changed to those steppers and have never regretted it for a second.
    If you have a specific stepper from EasyCNC, post the part number and lots of people here will help you compare the performance data.

22. MartinT

MartinT Member

By "cheap" I meant: "not expensive", and not "Inferior" ;)

Let me explain why I put down the question in the first place:

I have recently purchased the complete set from EasyCNC. (it is not delivered yet) There are some posts in the forum about bad quality steppers amongst them, and the fact that they are secondhand, and they deliver "whatever is at hand"at the time of ordering.
    I was surprised that for a smaller price you'd get NEW steppers, and thus have less chance that there is a bad apple. So why does he sell the kit with used materials then? (more profitable for the seller maybe?)

As far as not risking the bad apples, I am tempted to buy the new steppers as well (for the price they can't be beat!) but since I have already put my money down for the EasyCNC set, I might just hold off a while.

I can't wait to get the build started! Patience patience... :mrgreen:

23. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Yeah! unfortunately Mike, MPJA won't ship to anywhere except the USA and Canada... Otherwise I'd upgrade the ones on my X and Y axis..... I suppose, not that I really need to though. You've seen the results off my MK1.. :D They do have a lot of other stuff I'd order as well though, just can't order from them :(

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

24. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

We hope to have these steppers in the Phlat-Store soon as well.
    In the meantime if you need us to order them for you we could do that.
    Just send us a PM and we will set it up for you :)
    Mark and Trish

25. ToxicToast

Did some research on the hobbycnc card kit and I ran across this line in the faq: