1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

cut speeds and edge quality

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by zaxuk, Dec 23, 2010.

1. zaxuk

zaxuk New Member

Hey Guys,

I cut a lot of Owens Corning Pink Foamular 250 (XPS), 1/2" and 1" with my CNC and was wondering how a Phlatprinter 3 would compare in speed and edge quality.

I run at 40 IPM right now with the spindle at 8-10k rpm and a 2 flute end mill to get what I consider a perfect cut. The edge isn't melted (like a hot knife) and is very clean - just like a sharp blade would give.

I realize cut quality is subjective so if anyone has pictures to show the finish, that would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any problem with material slewing or losing position, when using thicker (heavier) material on long runs?

Zax.
    --- yes, Tweakie... I'm here too :)

2. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

Spotted you Zax. :D

This is a good place to be, very friendly and lots of useful info.

Tweakie.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello Zax welcome to the Phlatforum! :)

With the thicker materials it seems to work better mainly because with the spring loaded pressure bar system there is more pressure on the material the thicker you go, which works out well. I say better because I have found that you can increase the feeds a little with say 5/8 foam.We are using a 15k rpm spindle at 50 ipm and with a diamond cut bur type bit and it leaves a really nice clean edge. On the second generation we had a spindle that was capable of 30k and we could get nice cuts at around 80 to 100 ipm. At first we were seeing a skew with the new machine but it was due to the fact that we were pushing the material with the bit not able to cut at the feed rates we had set from the code. Troubleshooting this drove us nuts as it would only happen every so slightly over time. Once we slowed that down to match the spindle speeds we were golden. 3D is no problem at 27" wide with unlimited lenght.
    This new machine also has the ability to easily change out the tools on a removable Z axis faceplate with a locking key way design. so we plan to have attachments for every kind of spindle we can come up with as well as all kinds of other neat concepts like wood burner and 360 degree swivel x acto knife for vinyl graphics just to mention a couple :) These are already in the works and we hope to test them in upcoming PhlatLAB shows.
    Once again welcome aboard may yourself at home
    Mark and Trish

4. zaxuk

zaxuk New Member

Tweakie,
    Yeah - I feel right at home and amongst friends already :)

Mark & Trish,
    Thanks for the fast reply, that is good to hear. Is there any way I could get a picture of the cut edge straight off the machine in 5/8" foam (or >=1/2").

I already have too many toys (several vinyl cutters, Gerber EDGE vinly printer, CO2 and Yb:YAG laser's, CNC etc) but would add a Phlatty to my workshop in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
    Zax.

5. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Too many toys? How can this possibly be?!?!? If you don't have a Phlatprinter, you can't have too many toys! :D

6. zaxuk

zaxuk New Member

:mrgreen: Agreed!

Now if I can just convince my wife of this...

Zax.

7. kram242

Hi Zax,
    I grabbed a part that we use for packing material on the Phlatprinter .
    Its 5/8" foam with plastic on both sides, I removed that for the pictures after the cut.
    I am using the stock but that comes with the Phlatprinter. Which is a tile grout removal burr style bit. That is why there are lines on the sides. Also the parts have tabs (bridges) to hold them in place and you can see those in the pics as well. I have not tried a two flute style bit but I am guessing it would come out really nice.
    This was cut at 100 ipm (now we know that is too fast for this spindles speed) single pass. They have turned out great every time I cut them even at that speed. and I think its because its thicker it applies more pressure and it can handle it better.
    I also have to say 3D stuff comes out fantastic on these machines.
    Any my favorite part is not set up at all just throw your foam in set your zero and go! That's why I use this machine over all my others.
    Hope these help :)
    Have a Merry Christmas
    Mark and Trish Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Mine look pretty darned close to those that mark has posted, when I cut the 3/8" pink stuff using the standard bit at 100ipm.

Also as an added bonus I found that it helped the glue stick a little better vs a baby butt smooth cut. I would have thought just the opposite, but my informal totally non-scientific testing showed otherwise... Myth busted ;-)

Set up"
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=95

overnight drying results:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=104

9. kram242

Great test! Thanks for sharing this with us
    Mark and Trish

10. zaxuk

zaxuk New Member

Merry Christmas.

Thanks for the photos and comments.

The edge (ribbed) wouldn't work for my purpose but is similar to what I get using a burr bit so hopefully a 2-flute or 4-flute cutter would result in the same smooth finish I currently achieve.

Zax.

11. kram242

I could hunt out a 1/8th 2 flute and give it a try :)
    Mark and Trish

12. zaxuk

zaxuk New Member

That would be awesome, if you do test it let me know the feed rate for comparison.

Thanks,
    Zax.

13. SlowBipe

SlowBipe Member