1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Divinity II - AP flying wing

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by kram242, Nov 2, 2009.

1. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

09/16/10
    The Divinity II is progressing well... Got the leading edges fit and glued on. The build plan did not call for them but I thought they would add more strength to the wing and keep the flutter down. The motor is mounted and the wiring is run for the ESC and the servos. Wing tips are on, I recessed some bamboo skewers into the edges of them for strength. Next will be the elevons and rigging them... Mudman1959 Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Looks Great Mudman!! Wings are a blast to fly and for the $1.50 for the sheet of foam... no worries ! LOL :D

John

3. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Hey, no expense was spared on this one. It uses 3 sheets of foam. ;)

Looking good mudman. Too bad you have to work tomorrow.

4. sweetrex

sweetrex New Member

So how do you get these plans cut if you don't have a cutter? Do you just find someone local to do it for you or are there printing shops that can cut it if you take the files to them? S :| orry, I'm new to this forum but an avid reader on RCGroups. Looking for a new project. :mrgreen:

5. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

He suckered me into cutting it for him. ;) :lol:

I actually just got off the phone with Mudman he maidened it today and says it flies pretty well.

Tim

6. sweetrex

sweetrex New Member

Well since you're the only person I know with a cutter, what will it take to grease your wheels and sucker you into cutting another one? :D

7. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

09/22/10
    It Flies! Got the Elevons done today and did a few glide tests and it looked real good. First flight was a short one as the CG was to far aft and all it wanted to do was climb. Readjusted the battery further forward and decided that it was going up... and so it did. I now have four flights on it and I am pleased with the results so far. I am going to add a little ballast to the nose and fly it again to see if it helps the handling a bit. It wants to pitch up a bit under power and it is very pitch sensitive. I am also going to change the servos to bigger ones than the HS-55 I have in it now. I will post some videos of it on here soon when I can get my Gum Stick DVR charged up. I will also post more pics of the Elevons... Mudman1959 :D Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Let's continue this conversation via PM. I don't want to hijack the thread.

Tim

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Such a cool looking wing when its built up like that, Hope the maiden is successful
    Mark and Trish

10. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

The wind died down a bit... Time to fly!

11. kram242

Great job! I wonder if you could add a cam to the front to make up the weight needed?
    Mark and Trish

12. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

Hey all... Just got back from flying the daylights out of the Divinity... :D I added 2 ounces to the nose to make the recommended CG point from the "Wing CG Calculator" and it came out to be 9 inches back from the very tip of the nose, this fixed the pitchy control issues I had yesterday. Now I need to add some color to this Beauty so that I can see it better at altitude. It flies equally good upside down or right side up. I need to replace the servos with a couple that are a bit bigger than the HS-55's in it now for more torque as the roll rates are a little sluggish when inputted otherwise control is Great... I was out in winds gusting to 25mph and it cut right through with minimal jumping. Glide is good and it still penetrates the headwinds good. With power on it has unlimited vertical climb and doing a Cuban 8 turn around is a blast! I will try to get a video of it to post when I get a chance... Work calls again tomorrow :( ... I highly recommend this wing, IT has enough performance that with a few changes makes it a skyburner, but it is still very controllable for a first wing... What can I say? I LIKE IT! Mudman1959

13. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

14. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Looks good Mudman. I think I need to cut another one and build it myself.
    I embedded your video link here.

Tim

15. kram242

Excellent job Mudman! Way to stick with it and get it flying great!
    Seeing how you had to add weight to the front I wonder if we extent the back of the wing or maybe just make more of angle if that would solve this?
    Nice work
    Mark and Trish

16. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

Mark and Trish...
    I would not change a thing... It all falls with the motor... Size, mounting... I have a GH2212-10 with a 7x5 on this one, not sure what the original design was calling out for but this motor has worked good for me for several years and when you find one that works... you stick with it! This also allows a person to add a camera if that's what they want to do with this plane. I do not think that the extra couple of ounces of weight I added did anything to the performance of this plane. It handles winds in the 15 to 25 mph range great. I still can thermal with it... I was flying the other day and started following a Turkey Buzzard while he was flying and chopped the throttle and I was able to stay with him for a bit in the thermal until I scared him by getting too close. So overall if someone builds one... they have a good plane to modify and personalize to their particular styles of flying... It flies as good if not better than some of the "Store bought" wings that are available out there, with less cost. Change it???? NOPE!!! Mudman1959
    "I only feel Young, When I am Flying..."

17. kram242

Good to know Mudman thank you for the update. I am thinking a little keychain cam may do the trick.
    Thanks again and stay young forever, keep flying :)
    Mark and Trish

18. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

Well it is finally starting to look better... The Divinity is now taking on a Patriotic look. I will be putting a cockpit/cover on it here shortly and it will be red with white stars down the top. Should look like a B2 wing when I get it done... sort of. Looking for some latex blaze orange paint for the bottom for better high altitude visibility. Mudman1959

Attached files [​IMG]

19. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice colors mudman.

20. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

Working on the bottom of the Divinity making it more visible in flight... The orange is tape since I could not find any Blaze orange paint that did not have Acetone in it. The yellow is Acrylic Neon Yellow paint. This should be a lot easier to see than the light blue foam against a blue sky... Mudman1959

Attached files [​IMG]

21. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

Cut out the battery cover and got it all glued together. Added "Spoon" cooling ducts for positive airflow across the battery and ESC. Next is to hinge the cover and use magnets to hold the other side down. The cover will open from the side. Sort of looks like a B2 Flying Wing...

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. asimmetrico

asimmetrico New Member

Hello to everybody, I got here following a link on RCG.
    Very nice project
    I'm wondering if there is a way to tile the plans and print them on a regular printer.
    For what I can understand current plans are for a CNC that I don't have.

Thanks

Al

23. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

In the first post there is a file with the .SKP extension. It's not a CNC file, it's a SU file. It's not tiled, thought.

Welcome to the board, Al!

24. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

25. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member