1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Easy pressure roller Mod

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter MKII MODIFICATIONS' started by kram242, Nov 15, 2009.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Here's a video showing how to install sand into your pressure roller to give your Phlatprinters pressure roller a little more grip :) This mod was from Phlatboy Dorsal! Thanks for a great Mod!
    This is a quick mod that makes a big difference in my opinion

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

mark, trish, looks great...and easy to do...this kind of stuff gets my mind going....hmm...randy.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Hmmm - sure looks familiar! ;)
    I've been really happy ever since I filled mine. :D

4. kram242

Dorsal,
    I am sorry that I did not mention that in the video.
    Thank you for this mod idea, it works great! I only wish I had done it sooner.
    Thanks again brother and I am sorry, all of the credit goes to you.
    Mark

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Mark, I didn't expect any "credits" for the idea - I was just poking you in the "I told you so" ribs. :lol:

6. kram242

:mrgreen:
    Dorsal, I felt bad about it, so I just wanted to let others know this was your idea and that it works great!
    Thanks brother
    p.s. Stop poking it tickles! :p
    Mark

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

btw, lead shot works better. I got a 25# bag from BassPro and as I remember it added about 4 lbs. to the weight of the pressure rod. I'd weigh it, but it's 350+ miles away right now.

8. kram242

I have not had the chance to try the lead yet, but Blindflight has his filled with lead shot and says it works good, but may be crushing the depron?
    I really think that for foam the little weight that sand adds works great for me anyway. Maybe for lite-ply it would be better with the shot.
    Mark

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, are you doing this with the two front rollers, too?

10. kram242

Kwok,
    Not really necessary because they hold the material down just fine, and because there would be too much friction with the material being pressed to the cutting surface, that is why I left them out.
    Mark

11. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

I just did mine, it was a SNAP to do it! Thanks Dorsal for the great idea, thanks mark and trish for the video!!! :mrgreen:

12. kram242

mavacpjm71,
    Glad to hear you did it! :) I tell you I love it, and I hope you find you do to.
    Please keep us posted on what you think.
    Thanks
    Mark

13. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Will do.!!!

I did some cuts today and man the mod makes a HUGE difference in holding the media in place. I can get much closer to the edge of the media against the roller now. So I can use more of the media now then before, doing some light ply cuts tomorrow and I think for the wood and balsa this mod is going to be off the hook. :mrgreen:

-Peter

14. kram242

Peter good news! That is cool that is working for you. it made a huge difference for me as well and I only wish I would have done it sooner really.
    One thing to try when cutting wood is to do what some of these guys have done by making a foam carrier for the wood part and taping it in place with masking tape.
    I would think with balsa you should not need anything like that but for the thin ply you might.
    Thank for sharing brother :)
    Mark

15. meistertek

meistertek Member

Does this pressure roller mod help prevent shifting of the foam at higher feed rates? I am having a ton of problems with the foam shifting now that I have increased my feed rates and have started to do a lot of pocketing and stepped bevel edges for control surfaces. I especially have problems with cuts far from the center of the foam. I have to decide between this mod and the spring mod and was hoping someone could tell me in more detail what these mods help improve.

16. kram242

meistertek,
    We have studied both mods and decided on this on mainly because we did not want to have to unclamp the lid every time we wanted to lift it up. Instead we let gravity do the hold down work for us.
    I am using sand because I do not want to crush the foam and it is working great for me at 130-200 ipm with fanfold foam.It adds a little over a pound and a half of pressure to your roller. If you want more pressure you can do what some of the guys have done and that is to go with the lead shot fill. This will insure you have a rock solid hold with an added weight of 5 pounds ( I believe) plus the weight of the roller itself.
    Its such and easy mod that really gives great results, you should give the sand a try first and see if that works for you if you need more you can always go with the lead or maybe a mixture of both?
    Mark

17. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

I added sand to my roller and it really helps with the wavy foam but I still have shifting problems at higher feedrates. If I am cutting around 100 to 150 there are no problems. When the cutting speed gets up around 200 to 250 gantry motion tends to skew the foam slightly and if the pressure roller is moving at the same time it can push the foam side to side with no problem.

I think a lot of the skewing has to do with the slower spindle speeds I use to keep the noise down. I will do some test cuts with the Rotozip at full speed and see if the sand helped the skewing. I would like to increase the cutting speed more since the MKII can do rapids at 1500 with upgraded steppers just fine.

18. rjarois

Tim, i am in total agreement with statement....i cut all my foam projects at a cutting feed of 75ipm for 6mm depron and lower as the foam thickness goes up. i use 60ipm and 50ipm for 1/2 in foam. that's what i think the problem is some fellas don't understand surface feet, chip loads, etc. on the foam or any other material.....the roto-zip tools are not really cutters, ther grinding tools, or what we call burrs. if you look at one closely, and try to figure out how deep the cutting flutes are, you can figure ther pretty shallow....therefore if your chip load is to much, the tool will start acting as a solid...loosing its efficiency to cut, excessive tool deflection, tool breakage, tool pressure rises an starts pushing...believe me, i have seen beginner machinists rip work out of ther fixtures with lack of knowledge of understanding this...but if you increase the tool rpm to much the chip load goes down, but the surface feet goes up... and the heat starts melting rather than cutting the foam. i like to think of it as stickin your hand out the car window going down the side street, then take a run down the highway at 80mph....i know you understand everything im talking about, but i posted for those who don't....also i posted a tood speed, feed, and sfm calculator in the tool , calibration section. peace, randy.

19. rjarois

since i posted i found there is a speed and feed calculator right in the mach-3 wizard!! randy.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

My observations have led be to think the skewing I've experienced was due to slippage of the drive roller against the FFF, despite my lead-filled pressure roller. I'm thinking about replacing the sandpaper with a foam tape, to see if that helps. Maybe I should just make another roller with foam, so I could swap them in or out - speed rate calibration should be within a couple percent.
    OTOH, the wavy blue stuff varies in thickness front/back and side/side. Imagine how a fully tapered piece of material would track, if the left end of the roller was sitting on 10mm foam and the right end of the roller was sitting on 5mm stuff. If the piece was long enough, it would track in a circle!
    What I'm saying is: As long as we're using crazy-wavy material, if it tracks straight at all, you're just lucky. :geek:

21. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

I do understand how it works but that is an excellent post. I tend to underestimate the cutting force on the foam and it does explain exactly what I am seeing. I was cutting some very long rectangles and all the skewing was from the right of the PP to the left. That is also the direction the gantry is moving when cutting the short edges of the rectangles toward the front of the PP.

22. meistertek

meistertek Member

I took a look at my rollers tonight and noticed they were all loose in the Y direction. This includes the drive roller which had about 0.042" of play left to right. In addition both upper pressure rollers were very loose in the Y direction and could basically slide on their shafts left to right. Maybe this is part of the reason I am having shifting problems during cuts :shock: :?: This looseness was probably not a big deal when I was doing once around a part perimeter cuts, but now with traveling back and forth doing lots pocket cuts and control surface bevels I think the looseness of everything was starting to stack up.

So ...I went to the hardware store and got a bunch of washers and 1/4" set screw collars (saw these on Marks MKII :) ) to hold everything in place better in the Y direction. I also made a shim from 0.0325 thick x 1" brass stock to take up the slop in the drive roller. I have not tested this set up with cuts yet, but will report back soon.

I will see if this collar/shim mod reduces skew and then add sand to the rear pressure roller and test again.
    Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. meistertek

meistertek Member

Tested my MKI tonight with the new collars, washers and brass shim on the roller shafts. Man what a difference! :D

All my cuts are now spot on dimensionally! One set of tab slots is spot on to another cut edge even after running back the foam back and forth through the rollers over 14 times between each. All the Y direction slop in my rollers must have been the root cause to my shifting problems.

For the test I cut 1/4" blue foam at a feed rate of 50ipm with a 1/8" dia fishtail cutter.

Next I am going to add steel BB's to the rear pressure roller. This should put my roller weight somewhere between lead shot and sand, maybe that will be the perfect balance of weight? I am hoping I will be able to speed up my cutting feed rates a little with the additional roller weight.

24. meistertek

meistertek Member

I totally agree with you Randy. It seems like there is a balance between how much holding grip we have with the rollers and what kind of chip load we have based on what cutters we are using (diameter, flute shape, depth etc.) and the feedrate used. I would imagine a certain flute size and shape would be optimum for the fastest possible feedrate without overcoming the grip we have on our rollers. I am guessing the worst condition as far a skew having the potential of happening is when we make a 45 degree cut at a high feed rate. This is because we are rolling the foam through the rollers in X and applying cutting force in the Y direction at the same time. The time where skew would be least likely to happen would be when we make a cut straight in the Y direction since the foam is not rolling through the rollers.

Maybe a good skew limit test would be to cut diamond shapes with all 45 degree cuts at progressively faster and faster feed rates. It would be cool to create a whole sheet of these diamonds and then step up the feed rate each time one is cut and then measure the final cuts to see at what point the skew gets bad enough to be a problem. Then we would know the limits of each specific machine and could gauge the effect of mods or improvements to prevent skew! Hmmm I see some diamond drawing in sketchup in my future! :lol:

25. rjarois

mastertec, i noticed the excessive roller end play when i built my printer...i even posted in the first page of my build log about this floating roller issue.......i made some nylon washers for it to take up the end play. i knew at the time i seen this condition, it would cause big cutting troubles,...you really did a good job on your fix, way to go man...randy.