1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

EMC2 and Mach3 on the same computer

Discussion in 'EMC' started by 7up, Aug 19, 2009.

1. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Well I finally tried out EMC2 and in my opinion it works better than Mach3. I still have some fine tuning to do but the installation and configuration was a breeze. My Phlatprinter worked great with the default configuration settings but that is where I need to tweak things and get optimum performance. EMC2 comes with a configuration wizard and all you have to do is answer a few questions. That simple.

TVCASUALTY, has covered a lot of this so what I want to discuss is a "Dual Boot System".

Although I have a laptop running Linux I was reluctant to give up my Windows XP box that I use for my Phlatprinter because of Mach3 but now after venturing into a dual boot system I have the best of both worlds. I can boot into Windows, design in SU and output my gcode then boot into Ubuntu and use EMC2 to cut my gcode on my Phlatty all on the same machine.

If you have a computer running Windows XP and would like to install Ubuntu (Linux) and EMC2 on it also then check out the link below for a short, easy to follow guide on installing it on a Windows machine.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_wind ... htm?page=1

And here is a link to the Ubuntu/EMC2 Live CD which is a bookable CD image file that will have to be burned to a CD before you begin.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/ubuntu-8. ... 3-i386.iso

It really is worth checking out, especially if you don't wanna shell out the bucks for Mach3.

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I did this a while back. Worked fine, but haven't mess with it much after the initial install. When you are running Ubuntu, can you see the window files and copy the cut files over? I don't remember being able to do it.

Also, what did you find that was better than Mach3? I remember the graphics of the cut file was much better.

-Kwok

3. 7up

Yes you can access Windows files (cut files). I liked the fact the Phlatprinter ran good with no missed steps straight from the start.

4. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Great to hear 7Up! I'm always happy to hear when someone else gets there pp running for free! (Even though you already have Mach3) :D

Windows will not see Linux file systems, I wonder if you used a Fat32 instead of Ext3? But Linux will see Windows file systems.

Folks, Linux is not what it was even 5 years ago, in most cases it is very easy to install and try out. Most hardware works straight after install. True there are some oddities out there, but you tend to have that with any OS. Dual booting is also a great option if you need Windows. Thanks 7up for the help!

5. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I seem to be the only shmock who couldn't get EMC2 to work. I had so many problems and it still doesn't work. I may reformat my drive and try it again with a new installation, but I'm not sure about that yet. Mach3 worked of the bat and I'm not about to fix what's not broken.

6. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

tvcasualty, you can get a driver for Windows to read/write ext2 (and ext3 by extension) here. I have used it for years and never had a problem with it.

7. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Oh sweet!! Thanks!
    I'll just have to decide if I want to "give him the keys" :D

8. 7up

Thanks gasmasher, that'll save alot of time