1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

F2A-2 Buffalo

Discussion in ''Aircraft KITS' you are working on' started by Watt_the?, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Hi everybody,

This is first time I post here, and with this occasion I thank Mark and Trish for the great tools they sell.
    I bought, a wile back, the Phlatformer but I never used until now. All my big size plastics are made by somebody else, but now I do all my small ones with the Phlatformer.
    So, I start building an F2A-2, with the idea that I will turn it into an kit. Now I am to the second version, and beside the cockpit, dummy engine and motor cowl, I want to build the entire tail section from plastic.

The WS is 42' and 4 servo HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec, electric motor TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 35-36 1400Kv / 550w, ESC TowerPro H40A. The battery is a 3s1p. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Beautiful work, i seen the thread on Rcgroups and was watching the progress.

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Very nice!

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

That is pretty darned slick... What type of foam is the purple stuff? Or is it pink with off-color lighting?

5. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

@ Jnida63 - Thank you for your kind words, I will try to keep up with the updates here too.

@ 3DMON - Thank you, I'm glad you like it. This is a very positive reaction and I was not expecting it.

@ rcav8r - Is just normal pink foam,is sanded and the flash light made to look different where was sanded.

6. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

wow that PLANE is sweet.. I love the pulls of the cowl and motor. They look great.

Cheers
    E-T

7. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

The phlatformer is working perfect. I'm glad you like it. Now I'm working to get ready the plugs for the tail. I'm going to post more photos later on.

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Watt_the? This is a fantastic use of the Phlatformer! Thank you for the kind words and for sharing this awesome post with us. Looking forward to following the progress of this cool kit! :)
    Mark and Trish

9. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Thank you for your kind words. Today I hope to have first pictures with the tail thermoformed plastic. Because of the cold weather, all the molds cure slower, so everything take longer.

10. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Finally I was able to pull first tails surfaces just now so I post some pics and litle later a small video... if I can.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. kram242

:doubleup: This is awesome looking :D
    Great job Watt_the?
    Mark and Trish

BTW You have been added to the PhlatCLUB and your rank has been updated. Sorry we missed that :oops:

12. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

13. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

The canopy is almost ready now. In the future will have pilot and instruments. For now is good the way it is. Tomorrow, when everything is dry, I'll continue with the landing gear. Also the tail surfaces need more
    work, but the servos and control rods are installed and ready. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. kram242

Thank you for posting that cool video! This project really shows what someone can achieve with a little imagination and inexpensive tools.
    Keep up the good work Watt_the? ! :good:
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

15. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Really, this tool is truly the best I worked with. First is inexpensive, and the results are amazing. A wing has to be perfect in order to be airworthy, and despite that I spend 3 days for the plugs, now everything is worth every second of it.
    Anyway, I also said that the plane will be with fix landing gear, I could not help it and after few hour of work I got this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRVAluvKz5I
    Enjoy. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Neat use of the Robart Hing Points.

Maybe I missed it somewhere along the line, but what is the fuse covered with? At first I thought it was heat formed plastic, but now I see it is a printed sticker of some sort.

17. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

The first model I covered with printed paper.
    For the second one, the cover is made from the same materials is used for car wrap-ing and the design is made in photoshop an illustrator by me. I did some plastic covers for airplanes but I want a plane as cheap as possible. The disadvantage of this method is that you can see al the imperfections, down to scratches, but I already have the solution for that, and the third version will have a smooth finish and a super detailed cover, down to the rivets, dirt and scratches.
    Back to Robart Hinges, I had to modify them because they don't go pas 90 deg, and I needed to go to 0 deg.
    I'm looking for someone who has a mill to do the small parts for the retracts, this way will have the hinges incorporate, plus will be very solid. Attached files [​IMG]

18. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Awesome job on those retracts! This design might work well for bomb bay doors. What do you think? Is the drive arm attached directly to the servo?

19. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

It can be done. Right now I use servo-les retracts attached direct to the arm, but a bomb bay door would not require to much power and just a servo would do fine. The possibilities are endless.

20. kram242

Wow that is some real ingenuity on the retracts! :doubleup:
    The video really shows the scale of this plane too.
    Mark and Trish

21. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

The only "problem" is to change some of the wood frame to accommodate the retracts and to find a way of reinforce the retracts. The way they are right now, I don't think will hold to a landing, so I plan to bely land it. The plane weight 1400 grams with the battery, not bad for a WS of 42' and today I hope to finish it, so I'll post the last pictures before maiden flight.

22. kram242

23. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Thank you for the link, this is great. I had in mind to start a Me410 (WS 76') after this F2A-2 but seeing all the retracts my brain start "seeing" possibilities :idea: ... so now I'm back to the square 1 as far as my next project.
    I was unlucky so far to find someone with a mill to do the retracts, actually part of them, and I hope I don't have to buy a mill CNC and do them myself because will set me back a lot.

24. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Well, here we go... Finally the plane is ready for maiden, Is not ready, couple parts are missing, but won't cause any problem. The paint of the cowl and spinner don't mach with the fuse but is good for now In the future I'll have 3 paint scheme... I will talk more about tomorrow, now is almost midnight, I just finish the plane and I am really tired,
    So, I apologize but I have to be short Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Watt_the?, very nice work man.....the detail looks great!!! randy.