1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Flying Surfer Dude!

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by theothers, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

IDK but seeing Mark fly the surfer in person and watching the on camera shots. You need max throw on the elevans. I think the rudder would give it some wild movement but not the rite movement for turning. I would love to see someone put a Butt rudder on it or mabey a Head Turn.

Cheers
    E-T

2. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

That "over the lake flying" is awesome! You fly in places I would never dare try!

I cut my plane directly from the cnc files, untouched. The nose angle is pretty much fixed by the slot and tab positions. I did not even put any pre bend into the surfboard sheet, just hot glued the ribs into place exactly as they fit up.

The only way to get less of an arc in it would be to modify the SU file to shorten the distance of the tabs.

Looking at your pics again, I see that mine does have quite a lot more bow in it than yours. Curious as to why..

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I still have to put electronics in mine, but man to get the stringers tab and slots right it does put a huge bow in the board. I took alot of the bow out by squishing it down but I think if the tabs were moved a little bit more the bow wouldn't be so severe.
    Hope to fly mine soon though :D .

Also Mark did you mount the moto mount stick directly to the foam so it has upthrust or did you make it more level so it didn't have all that upthrust?

4. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Got to have that. I'm building it. Neighbor kids ought to flip over this. :)

5. Flashsolutions

Here is amount of throw on my elevons.... Not sure how I could get any more throw than this...

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Evil-Tunes

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

That is strange, looks like I may have to modify the tabs some more I have been moving them around to get just the right amount of bow. Your throws are more then enough so you are good there.
    I need to lat the surfer flat on the table and take a picture of how high off the table the nose is to show you from the side view. I will do that and post it asap
    BTW I love the paint! He looks really great Flash nice job. Now we just have to get him carving around the skies.

8. kram242

This bow problem is strange, I have built about 10 of these so far as I was prototyping to get it to fly well. So I am going to have to do some experimenting and see where I am going wrong on this. The bow should not be severe.
    I mounted the motor stick flush with the deck with no right or down thrust. I just looked down the board from the front to make sure it was aligned and most of that is taken care of with the fact that the 3/8 wood is sandwiched between the foam.
    Mark

9. kram242

The kids will just love it!
    Mark

10. kram242

Ok here are a couple pics that may help for the bow.
    Also to note that I added a few clicks down for trimming the model, it does not like to turn while the noes is pitched up.

11. Flashsolutions

A picture is worth a thousand words.... My bow measures 3" when laid flat on the table like yours.

It flys good, so long as you don't want to turn right with it. With the bigger motor (BP 2217-9), an 8x4 prop and a Thunderpower 1350 battery and 25 amp ESC, I can hit the bricks running and she does a great job of carving left turns in the sky.

I don't know if I can get the hot glue to release, but I will give it a shot. I've had some pretty good success with using a heat gun to loosen the hot glue. Maybe I won't have to build another one if I can rework this one.

But now I know what I need as a target reference. The ruler shot is a big help!

12. Flashsolutions

Ahhh yes, the bow was the culprit!

I firmly pressed down on the tip with brute force and hot glued a strip of carbon fiber to the top of surfboard while holding the shape I wanted.

The riggers on the bottom kinda bowed out in couple places, but the glue took hold and left me with a 2" table top clearance instead of 3".

I took it to a new flying field, one I have never been to even though I belong to the club and just had never gotten around to visiting.

The flying area was a small opening in the trees with a couple soccer fields, fences, light poles and such lurking to grab whatever I might send it the air, but I let er loose and to my happy surprise, I was surfing the airwaves over pear park with the ability to turn both left and right.

But before my jubilation could set in, the motor abruptly stopped running and sent surfer dude to tera firma.

Why me? What did I do to deserve this?

Well, anyway, I got enough of a taste to know it will fly as designed and there was no damage during the abrupt landing, so off to the workshop for analysis.

I thought it was another speed control gone awry, but then I discovered one of the three connectors from the brushless motor had a cold solder joint and had come loose. It was still partially making contact, causing the motor to work at times and then lock up.

I resoldered the connector and checked current draw which pulling 10.5 Amps on a 20A ESC, so I should be good to go again.

Tomorrow, I will return to Pear Park where the club meets weekly and hopefully this time, I will be able to put on a grand show. None of these folks know about this plane, so it ought to be fun. Can't wait to see the look on their faces when I unload it from the car! Attached files [​IMG]

13. iflyos

iflyos Member

After looking at the picture, I can tell you that mine is like Flash's was originally....I have to much bow. If the weather holds I will be home soon, and get a chance to fix it and try it out.

Tim
    AG4RZ

14. rayclark

rayclark Member

Very cool design Mark. Can't wait to try it out. I ran into the same thing as Flash and iflyos with the amount of curve in the front. It does appear that the tabs need to be moved a little.

RC

15. Flashsolutions

Yesterday, I was finally able to put on a grand show with the Surfer Dude!

It handled flawlessly this time, carving left and right and performing magnificently.

It drew stares and comments and was a delight to small children.

This is by far the most interesting plane (if you call it that) that I have built! Thanks again Mark for thinking this up and making it happen!

I also flew the PiPlane, which is another strange aircraft! I have it propped with an oversize propeller that gives it the ability to climb endlessly (it seems) while doing torque rolls.

So between the two planes, I was able to make an impressive showing. Now to get some video!

16. kram242

COOL Thanks guys! I am going to move the tabs and re post the new version :)
    This is one of the cool effects of having the Phlatprinter. We can tweak until it's right:)
    Thanks again for you help
    Looking forward to videos :)
    Mark

17. RobD

RobD New Member

Be sure to let us know when the new version is online!

I asked on RCG, but maybe I'll get an answer quicker here. I've got the 1300kv and 1500kv motors, but only 2S batteries. Any chance of propping this for 2S with one of those motors, or do I really need some 3S batteries?

18. kram242

Well to be honest, I'm not sure maybe one of the guys here will chime in on this one.
    One thing I would say is that the more weight you can get on the front of this deign the better. I mainly have 3s so that's what I used. If I could go a little bit heavier I would as my 3s 900 mAh batter is all the way to the front.
    I will let you know when I re post the plans.
    Mark

19. kram242

Ok started silver leafing the silver surfer version of the flying surfer dude! :)
    I ran out of silver leaf but its looking great so far and adds almost no weight

20. RobD

RobD New Member

I do have some 3S 1800mah batteries, they would definitely add some weight to the front. Maybe if they were scooted back a bit?

21. kram242

That sounds like it would work. I think there is plenty of wing(er..board) area :)
    Keep us updated on how it works out for you
    Thank you
    Mark

22. iflyos

iflyos Member

So I debuted the SS this weekend to the team at a show in Abingdon, Virginia. After we got the trailers set up and relaxed for a few, we took advantage of having low winds and a wide open full scale airport available to fly some foamies!

I dropped the nose on mine some, and he did alot better. If I carry some speed he turns right fine, if I slow down alot, he will turn right, but wider than a left turn at the same speed. Nothing I can't get over, though. I still need to take some more angle off the nose, but I figure I will wait till I get my PP built and then cut one from the new files..

He will be fine indoors without a doubt, for a few laps during the comedy portion of our indoor show.

Now, outdoors, he looks WICKED carving turns at full throttle. The guys always wonder what is up my sleeve each time we get together, and this really blew them away! The best part was the airport manager, and several of the full scale demo pilots coming over and "OOhing and AHHing" as I had a blast flying the SS.

Mark, I am loving this thing! Thanks again!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

23. kram242

:D that's too cool Tim!!
    We looking forward to what you do next ;)
    If you get a chance to film the surfer dude at one of the shows, we would love to see it
    Thanks Tim
    Mark

24. rayclark

rayclark Member

Well I flew the Surfer dude yesterday. It is certainly a very cool thing to see in the sky. It may have been the wind ( it was quite windy) but I was having trouble getting it to turn in either direction very well. The nose is about an 1 5/8" up.

I had two ideas to try....One is making the elevator a little larger by making it like a whale tail. The other is adding another control surface to the back like what is used on hydroplane boats. I have attached pictures of what I am talking about. Any thoughts?
    Not sure how either of my ideas will work as I have not had a chance to try them out.Hopefully tomorrow.

RC Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. Evil-Tunes

Rayclark,

I like the Whale tail better than the hydro but, I think the Hydro would look cool with out the surfer dude.

Cheers
    E-T