1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Foam to Copper, Nickel, Silver Etc.

Discussion in 'General Craft Chat' started by frankmcneilll, Feb 1, 2010.

1. frankmcneilll

frankmcneilll New Member

Hi All,

We already have a long thread about Foam to Steel with descriptions of lost foam casting methods. Another method is based on electroforming, which is similar to electroplating in that similar chemicals and electrical components are used. The differences are that a thicker deposition of coating is deposited atom by atom on a sacrificial form that is removed after the coating is done.
    Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroforming for details of how this is done.
    A Yahoo discussion group at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/electroforming/ does not have much discussion, but will have files, photos and links.
    Another group at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Electroplating/ has more discussion and would provide an opportunity to correspond with people who do this for a living.
    Polystyrene foam could be used as a material for the sacrificial forms. It might be necessary to coat these forms with StyroSpray to provide a smooth base for paints containing metal of the same type that will be used for coating.

Best wishes, Frank

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Frank I never even knew that this was possible! I was reading through a little of the wiki and is seems pretty straightforward. I think this would make a great experiment for the PhlatLAB. :)
    Thank you for sharing this
    Mark

3. frankmcneilll

frankmcneilll New Member

Hi Mark and Trish.

The wiki article mentions the use of aluminum for electroform patterns, which suggests the possibility for coating eps patterns with mixtures of StyroSpray and aluminum powder. After an electro-formed object had a coating thick enough to support it, the foam pattern could be flushed out with anything that would be able to dissolve it. I remember spilling gasoline on a styrofoam icebox a long time ago during a fishing trip. The gasoline went through the icebox the way a hot knife would go through butter!

Best wishes, Frank

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Someone is going to have to give this a try!
    If I get some time I would love to try it out
    Mark

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Do it Mark.
    This would be a must see for sure. :p