1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Fokker DVII

Discussion in 'WarBirds' started by tvcasualty, Apr 14, 2009.

1. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Update model to generate g-code from:

Sorry Crash, the Extra had to wait...
    I got carried away, and next thing I knew I found a 40 some odd inch WS Fokker DVII sitting on my dining room table!

After I destroyed my N-17 on the first take off, I went back to what I had done on my first biplane, an SE5A...

...In which after destroying it, I decided to attach all the struts and wing supports via magnets, now this was a learning process as the magnets were very strong, but the wing slid off on the first trial flight!

So yet again I attempt to tackle the great biplane mystery of flight with this Fokker DVII

The top wing is attached via magnets and is keyed into a mono type block that is shaped as the guns and a few struts, the key way will keep the wing from sliding off the craft during flight from normal drag forces. In order to over come the strength of the magnets in normal flight I would have to pull hard enough to tear foam, in which all the rest of the hot glue would have already let go. Yet they very easily let go when pulled at funny angles, such as in a crash, or a TV style rough landing (ie: taking off followed closely by cart wheel).

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Foker D7 Improved.skp.zip (809.3 KB)Â

2. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Here is the SKP file, to the right you will find 3 sheets worth of foam marked to cut with an 1/8 bit.
    Both wing are to be folded/rolled around a 5/16 CF rod which should go all the way foreward. (I picked up a bunch of these at the Weak Signals Show for $1 each from CST) Attached files Foker D7.skp (1.8 MB)Â

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice work!
    Hope this one flies for you.

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

TV, how do you mount your magnets? I had lots of problem with it and the don't really stick. The best results I got with epoxy but even that was not perfect.

Yoram

5. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I get all my magnets to stick to the foam with hot glue. It's a bear to get them out of the foam when/if you tear down the plane.

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Man you are amazing! the magnet idea is just too cool :D
    Is the mono block 1/2" or layered 1/4"
    Great job Eric
    Mark

7. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

It's layered 1/4 inch stuff.

Magnet mounting is a bear. I think part of the trick is to use lower strength magnets. Whenever I use the really high powered ones they almost always tear out, even through careful normal use. I've had much better luck using more small ones where the hot glue can hold with more relative strength.

I sure hope it flies too! But it at least looks right, and I can count that as something else neat I've been able to build w/ my pp!

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated with a flight report. Raining today, back to work tonight...

8. kram242

Hey I was just thinking what about Velcro? you could figure out just how much you need to keep it on there under the max load?
    Just an idea. Looks really great Eric, wish you the best of luck on the maiden.
    Looking forward to your report
    Mark

9. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

hummm. A Velcro biplane? Sounds kinda neat! And, you'd get a nice tearing sound upon crash! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

10. kram242

11. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

You know there is nothing easy about biplanes! This thing is kicking my butt! I'm almost ready to mount the motor, but I can NEVER figure out the best way to get a battery into one of these, and my top wing is removable! Too much stuff needs to be crammed into one small spot up front to maintain CG, and that makes it very tricky. Actual assembly of this plane is VERY simple, but the devil is in the details, once you start putting hardware in, it's gonna take some time. :D It's not like I didn't know this was commin, oh well back to work! Come heck or high water I'm flyin this tomorrow!

12. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I managed to maiden today, and I've learned a few more lessons with biplanes and tail draggers. A few practice runs down the runway and I had the rudder control mastered, everything was looking so great I decided to let her rip when the tail came off the ground at half power... What a great take off, plenty of control, this one looked like a winner... then the wind came in to play. Blew that little biplane right off course and I struggled to bring it home! As I neared 300 yrds away I was running out of field, so I let her crash. :(

When I got to the crash site the wind had picked up almost 10x from what it was on take off. WAY too windy for biplanes, and most of my other planes. I will repair and refly when it calms down!

13. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

So I repaired my DVII, and upped the motor, WAY upped the motor...

Originally I was using the $7 special that Crash had mentioned on his first crashcast That was a great little motor but I broke the prop shaft on my first "landing"

I had decided the plane seemed a bit unballanced yet, so I upped the motor to my soon to be standard heavier BH / Suppo 2820-06. This 145g Outrunner is just plain HOT! But this was just what I needed to shift the CG foreward enough to make things work.

Breaking every rule in my "Pilots Checklist," I went out this morning after a 12 hour nightshift. I simply COULD NOT pass up the perfect flying conditions. As it turned out, neither could the DVII.

After a rough take off, things were looking VERY good!
    What comes next?
    Stay tuned... I've got to get back to work, so more later!

14. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

So I started cruising in a big oval, it only needed a little bit of trim work on the elevator, and then I had it set. The plane flew very stable, yet very responsive on every control surface. I pulled a few baby wing over’s (hammerheads) at each end of my track, and I was very much impressed, and then I realized that the throttle was still at 1/2!

I cranked it up and it really started to rip through the air. It was spooky nice to fly!
    On the third full speed pass I decided to pull a large loop. This was my fatal mistake!

At 20 feet level flight it began to start climbing, straight up, I could have went on for a long time, but I kept easing back on that stick until I was inverted at about 150 feet. This is where the number one rule comes in to bite me square in the @#$%! I should have knocked back the throttle to 25% at this point in the maneuver, but I was lazy, or more like tired, and I would have to move my left thumb in an upwards direction… But why take all that effort??? The plane went inverted just fine, and look, it’s pulling out just fine! Lots of room between the plane and the ground, I’ll be just fine. See being lazy pays off!

That’s when it happened…

At 3 / 4 of the loop the force on that upper wing musta been pulling awful hard. I was really moving in the air, no doubt about that. All I heard was a loud “POP!” …Followed by a large not so pretty sounding “POOP!” that escaped from my lips! Then it was like the noise was turned off (probably because the Rx was pulled from the ESC)!!! At about 50 feet the plane shot to the ground like an arrow! The top wing ripped completely off the magnet mount, pulling out the servo wire right from the Rx like a rip cord. The Rx was pulled from the ESC killing the motor power as soon as it happened. But without that top wing the plane just wouldn’t climb! It seemed like five minutes later the top wing finally hit the ground after it’s neat decent that reminded me of a leave in the fall.

There was very little left of the front FFF cowling and the motor had to be “dug out” from the ground. One of the nylon #4-40 screws had snapped, but was too late to keep from bending the motor mount. I’ll have to clean the dirt from the motor to make sure it is fine.

My 3rd bipe installment has been instantly shelved!
    However, this has by far been the most successful attempt to date.
    I fully recommend building this warbird to chase snoopy around the sky!
    This is an easy model to build, and it flys PREFECT in a no-wind environment.

But please glue or screw that wing to the fuse, so you don’t repeat my fatal mistake.

15. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Since nobody else seems to have any interest in WWI biplanes ( :D ), I decided to construct my own flying circus! Started with that lozenge pattern in the other thread, and ended up with this:

If you look closely at the under carriage, I did kinda a neat trick. They are setup to absorb shock via rubber bands. Also the entire assembly is rubber banded on to enclose the battery behind the motor.

This thing has so much power, I take off at about 1/2 throttle. If it will balance correctly, I'm thinking of going with a 2S setup.

Again, highly recommended, easy to build, very fun WWI biplane. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Accidentally left the vid camera at home today, but we did get some shots.
    I did touch and goes all day long! Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. kram242

Man these pics are great TV!
    I love the barnstorming one :)
    BTW can you get a closer pic of the landing gear set up for us to check out?
    Thank man great job!
    Mark

18. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

You sir are a great artist.

19. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Thank you sir!
    Got some vid today, but may be a few days before I can get it sorted all out.
    I will get a pic of the under carriage for you guys.

20. kram242

Sounds good TV looking forward to it!
    Mark

21. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

22. kram242

tvcasualty, That was a cool video!
    She fly's great! and the lozenge pattern looks awesome. I wonder why they used that pattern? It doesn't seem to be a very good camouflage.
    Mark

23. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I think it makes better camo if your looking down at the plane from above. The lozenge pattern is suppose to blend in better with the ground. I think thats right anyway???

24. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Yeah, something like that. I think truth be told my pattern is a little large for scale so that may make a difference. But it is one of those types of camo that tends to pickup colors for all sorts of other patterns, and that is a 'pattern' we are emulating today with modern camouflage types. Take a look at http://www.multicampattern.com/indexflash.html for instance. That stuff is amazing, and up close it has all sorts of colors in it.

25. kram242

Cool stuff TV! It make sense to have the planes topside camo for when its on the ground. But you would think it would have been on a runway so it would have a solid color to match the runway. Asphalt for instance. Just a thought
    Mark