1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Not cutting circles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Build Support' started by TigerPilot, Aug 10, 2011.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Mark, on your show tonight you've mentioned the problem with the circles. I'd like to emphasize that I'm using Mach3 and not the USB CNC board. I think some other people use the board and have problems too, but I may be wrong about it. You've said that you have a second PP with Mack3 running it. Did you try to cut small , like 0.6" or less, circles in MDF on either one of your machines?

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello Yorham,
    I have not tried MDF with the small circles yet. I am still working on the other machines drive rollers so when they are complete I should have a better understanding on what is going on as well as the ability to compare the two software's.
    I am trying a few different things when I find something out I will post.
    I will say that now that I understand you are using Mach it may not be software at all.
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish

3. Kroko

Kroko Member

Do I understand correctly that CNC USB Controller software is blamed for problem with circles?

CNC USB Controller can make perfect circles!!!

There was a bug in backlash compensation which I believe it is fixed. But this bug was not reason for circle problems.

Reason for circle problem is mechanical. Based on what I read I'm not sure any more that cause is backlash. It seems more like slop or play. Backlash is constant value with good repeatability. I suspect that repeatability in this case is not good. Because of this software compensation can not help.

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Not at all :) We just wanted to check all options so we can compare. So we are setting up two machines side by side to test. This is something that we have not tried here in the PhlatLAB since switching over to CNCUSB from Mach3 so it will be a good test. :good:
    Mark and Trish

5. Kroko

Kroko Member

I'm sorry if I misunderstood this.

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Mark, remember that the problem is most noticeable when the circles are small, like .6" or less, but you'll see it in a 1" too. The bigger the circle the less noticeable the problem is, to the eye. I used a digital caliper to measure the circles.

7. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Andrej, your beta fixed my backlash overshoot problem that I was experiencing in this thread.
    http://www.phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=2734

However, I've been running both Mach and USBCNC, and even with backlash comp, I still have 'flattened' circles that I've not been able to overcome. I would have to conclude there is something mechanically going on that is inducing the backlash. My configuration is a stock P3 with the upgraded drive rollers. Otherwise, I am 'pleased as punch' with how wonderful the machine is, as well as the USBCNC board/software.

Chris