1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Not getting my subscribed threads have to login each time

Discussion in 'How to navigate the Phlatforum' started by 3DMON, Jan 4, 2009.

1. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hey Mark,
    It's happening again. I'm not receiving any of my subscribed threads. Also I'm having to login each time I visit.

Thanks,
    Shaun

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Man this is weird I really didn't change anything except to purge the cache. I think it is somthing going on with the host. I will call them and see what it takes to go with SMTP mail set up.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Mark

3. 3DMON

I'm just surprised no one else isn't having the same problems, or are they?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

No problems here. What browser are you using, M$IE or Firefox?

5. 3DMON

It does it on both browsers.
    It's been an ongoing problem. Mark and I thought he had it fixed a while back but it is still doing it.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Hmmm - Control Panel, Internet Properties, Security - set to Medium High? Mine is.
    What OS are you running?
    Did you recently add or renew a Spyware or Anti-virus program that's blocking cookies? Some other program that's common to both browsers?
    What about settings to "Renew page contents" each time you visit?

7. 3DMON

I did just recently install Macafee antivirus around the same time this stuff was going on but I cant see how that would make it so I wouldn't get my subscribed threads still sent to me.
    Also where are you refering to with "Renew page contents" setting?
    I'm running XP
    Security is set at Medium

Thanks,
    Shaun

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Aw nuts, I can't find the "Renew page" thingy now - I'm running XP with FireFox also, but I guess I'm just braindead.
    Is there something in McAfee that scans or blocks cookies? I don't have it anymore, but I thought I remembered it had an automatic "mega-net-nanny" setting on install.

9. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

might be a problem w/ how the board makes cookies...
    I've got the same issue.

admin needs to double check the settings, once they are fixed, you guys will need to dump your cache again, assuming that's the problem. :mrgreen:

10. 3DMON

Well I'm receiving my subscriptions today.
    I didn't change anything.

11. kram242

Its really weird! I think it must be on the server end when they change something on their end I have not had a chance to talk to them yet but I will just to see what is going on.
    Glad to see they are back for now though :)
    Mark

12. kram242

Well I talked to them (our host) and they say that it is a cookie issue, or maybe something that is blocking the cookies that this site is trying to send to your system.
    Thats all they had but I am still looking into it on the php boards so If I find it I will let you know.
    Thanks for being so understanding about this
    Mark

13. 3DMON

Thanks for the update.

14. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I have the same problem... have to login each time I visit and some of my own photos say I don't have permission to view them until I login.

Forum lost 2 of my posts today and one from 3DMON that I know of.

15. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Here's some food for thought on the multiple log-in thing.

I come to the site and immediately log in. When I get to the main page, I do not see the picture in Announcements. I click on the LINK to go to the thread where the pictures resides. I look for the picture but only see the text saying something to the affect of I haven't permission to see the pictures and I notice that I'm no longer logged in. I log in again and am directed back to the main page. Voila! Now I can see the image in the announcements section.

This is the only way I can see that image.

From this point, I can navigate away from this website and come back (back arrow) and I'm still logged in and all is fine. If I type in the URL anew, I'm not logged in. If I close the browser and re-open it, I have to repeat the process to get to where I can see the images in the announcements section.

If I log in and pay no attention to whether or not I get an image in the announcements section and just go about my business surfing the rest of the forums, I can see all of the images in all of the other threads. I am only forced to log in a second time if I try to click the link in the announcements section.

If I navigate my browser away from PhlatForum.com, I have to sign in again.

It's really odd, but I am wondering if the announcements section is bugging out the rest of the forum.

Again, Mark, this is no really big deal. If you've got bigger fish to fry, so to speak, then certainly make this the lowest priority. I'm loving this forum and don't mind the little inconveniences that are experienced here. I'm just wanting to share something I've learned to be a constant.

Let's face it - we're all spoiled on our browsers that offer auto log-in. And really, it wasn't that long ago that we didn't have this feature! :lol:

16. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

It's fixed!!!!!!!

Great job, Mark! Thanks!

17. kram242

Thanks Mike it was the cookies on my end were not setup right. I am however experimenting with other settings :) so if you find anything like that happening again please let me know.
    Thanks for helping me work this out Mike
    Mark

18. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark,

fyi I had something happen that was interesting. Last week, I stopped getting email notices. After a few days, I decided to go into my preferences and turn off the notice option and then turned it back on. So that day I started getting notices again, but they weren't real. Because I would go check the forum and there wasn't any new posts. Maybe they were some how the old notices, I didn't get. But since the following day, it's all now working again.

-Kwok

19. kram242

Sorry about this guys, I am thinking that it has something to do with the mods.
    Once a mod is added to the code, you have to purge the boards cache and I think this may be the problem.
    I am always trying to improve the board with mods so it may mean that you have to re instate the email notices under the user control panel. If that is working?
    Thanks for bearing with us. It may be a bug in this version.
    There is a new verizon of the phpbb out and I will someday have to take the plunge and install it but I want to create a fake board copy to try it on first.
    Thanks again
    Mark

20. 3DMON

I tried what Kwok said and it didn't help me. But just today I am getting my subscriptions again.
    Mark your efforts at trying to resolve this are appreciated.

Shaun

21. Flashsolutions

Count me in as not getting my subscriptions either. I miss half the content because of this. I end up when time permits going thru the posts finding good stuff along the way that I wished I had known earlier.

Is there any way to sign up for notifications of ANY new post regardless of the thread?

22. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Flashsolutions, did you try the reset trick I posted?

23. Flashsolutions

Yes, but the problem came back again. I have not done it again since it reappeared. I will do it again to restore it.

24. kram242

Thanks Shaun,
    This is all new to us so we are taking it as we go.
    I must apologize to everyone I know its a pain, but it will get better in time :D
    MnT

25. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

FWIW I used to run a PHPBB2 board, and had pretty much the same issues as everyone here is seeing. I was hoping they fixed it w/ 3, but I see not. I am using Fireboard now on the same host, and all the issues went away. I am by NO MEANS recommending switching the board over in anyway shape or form as there is way too much invested here, and Fireboard is not anywhere near as feature rich as PHPBB. Just mentioning it as I don't think it's a hosting issue, or something you should rack your brain over. At least it wasn't the host with me.
    I intermittently get notices of posts/PMs, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason. I just started getting them again today.
    I don't use the auto-log in feature and am using Chrome now. On my home PC I need to log in every now and then depending on last access. I can navigate to other tabs, and if I come back in the time frame, I am still logged in. On my work PC, I only log in when I load the browser, it stays logged in until the browser is closed.

PS, you are backing up the forum aren't you? Only time I used a backup was when I set up an old PHPBB forum on another URL as an archive. Worked like a charm.