1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Phlat Parameters Explained

Discussion in 'SketchUcam 'Most wanted Feature'' started by 2xWhiskey, Aug 6, 2012.

1. 2xWhiskey

2xWhiskey New Member

I'd like to see the SketchUcam help link updated with a full description for all the parameter settings.

The reason I request this is, as a CNC know-almost-nothing, I have no idea what "In/Outside Overcut %" does, and % of what? What does the measurement for "Safe Travel (Z)" represent? I own a PP III, and am currently looking at the Cargo Twins file and it's parameters, which doesn't seem normal to me. The help link could list suggested RPM, feed rates for specific bits/material, and even direct links to your tutorials.

I understand the help link is about 2 years old, and perhaps most of this information can be gleened with the search (I tried), but I think this will help newer users in the future. A shallower learning curve is always a good thing IMO.

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

In side cut --- This is when you are cutting out lightening holes in formers, ribs and such. It will off set the bit to the inside so when it makes the cut, the hole will be the right size. Also adjusts cut direction so the smooth cut is on the part you are keeping, and the rough on the waste.

Outside cut -- This is what will trace the part to be cut out; wing, fuselage side, etc. It off-sets the bit to the outside of the line so the parts will be the right size. Also adjusts cut direction so the smooth cut is on the part you are keeping, and the rough on the waste.

Overcut %. This is to compensate for the wavy fanfold. It is the percentage of your material thickness. So if you have 0.25" material, with a 110% overcut, it will actually think that the material is 0.275 (0.25 * 1.10) Personally I use 6mm for FFF, and the actual dimensions for other material and set the overcut to 100%; in other words none.

Safe Z travel. This is how far you want the Z gantry to withdraw from the part when traveling from part to part. I usually leave this alone as I don't use any clamps or such. If you have clamps you can adjust this to make sure the bit clears the clamps when it is traveling from part to part.

Regarding speeds and feeds... well this is part art, part science. Here's a link to a thread on the subject that includes a chart with what guys use here and what works for them.
    viewtopic.php?f=114&t=3149
    Most files posted here show the bit and feed rate (look at the first few lines of the CNC code in Notepad, or pull up the file in SU, and look there.

What Twin Cargo did you download? I think I posted my files (not sure though). They are set up for 1/16" bit with Model Plane Foam cut at 100IPM.

3. 2xWhiskey

2xWhiskey New Member

Thanks for your time rcav8r, your answered my questions very well. I posted this here in hopes that we can see all of that info by just clicking on the help link in SU, instead of frustrating newbies by forcing them to spend an hour or two searching this information out.

I downloaded the 1/16" bit file from post #1, (plans version 2.1). The saved RPM parameter is 8,000. This raised alarms in my head as the default setting is 15,000. I think that may be an artifact from an earlier phlat printer model.

This will be my first 1/16" bit cut, so I'll look at your file and take notes. I'll probably just use yours for the cut as well. I'll be using FFF.

Thanks again!

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

No Problem; glad it helped.... It can be a bit daunting, and it's not without it's issues, but all in all it is a LOT easier than a lot of the commercial CAM solutions out there.
    You can almost always get a quick reply from here from folks more knowledgeable than I. When I started with the CNC thing, I had to clue, but this site sure did make it easy.

RE the RPM parameter... I just leave that alone. I don't have the spindle controlled by anything (and I would wager most of us don't either) so that parameter is meaningless.

Not sure which of my files you grabbed (or which ones I posted), but I think mine is set up for flaps. May want to modify the drawing if you don't want them.......

5. 2xWhiskey

2xWhiskey New Member

I found your old thread on your Twins version:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7353&p=38571#p38571

No file was shared, but that's ok. Your air brake looks easy enough to mimic. My first build is going to be vanilla anyways. By the way, I really like those steep approaches. With some shock absorbers I can imagine some really cool C-17 like assault landings.