1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

PhlatBone Tool

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Related Software' started by iGull, Jan 1, 2011.

1. iGull

iGull Member

Hi Kwok

I need to read slower - just noticed what you had written - instead of adding menus (as previously), just use the tool commands to add a menu - got it :)
    Hence the comment about putting the code below the tool commands :oops:

I'll remember for the next release :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, IIABDFI sometimes works (if it ain't broke ...)

Cheers

Neil

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Neil, how do I force the tool to orient the t-bones the way I want it. If you look at the pic you'll see that the top and the bottom t-bones are different than the ones on the side. I'd like them all to be oriented like the top and bottom.

Attached files [​IMG]

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hold the shift key to change the tbone direction when you click on the corner.

4. TigerPilot

Thanks, Shaun

5. iGull

iGull Member

Hi Yoram

I see Shaun the t-bone meister has answered your question :D

It's interesting to see on your screengrab how the toolbars are on the PC.
    It's slightly different on the Mac, the toolbars are separate/floating, but you can add them to the generic toolbar too. You can also have multiple windows open - looks like the PC still uses the MDC to hold a single application "window" ?

6. TigerPilot

You can have the toolbar floating on the pc too, Neil, I just don't like it floating. It takes away from the work area.

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Took some time this morning to check out your site Neil. Cool stuff!
    Mark and Trish

8. 3DMON

I used the Phlatbone tool on the Rotozip attachment. It worked great. The multi bone feature is so cool.

Attached files [​IMG]

9. iGull

iGull Member

Well done Shaun - looks really good - I'm impressed!

I don't think guys realise how much work is involved in drawing up parts, it takes a fair amount of effort and skill to achieve results like this and that should be applauded.
    I'm glad that a wee plugin can reduce the 'workload' and (hopefully) improve the end result :))

Now, if someone would just point me in the direction of a decent 'nesting' algorithm, I'll be able to get fifty wing ribs on a single balsa sheet for my new electric soarer :lol:

Maybe I should purchase a phlatprinter now instead of working on a new 50W laser cutter :p

Well done Shaun.

Sadly FWIW, I tried a rotozip on my own CNC router a couple of years ago - the front bearings started to a rattle about after only a few (2.5hrs 'ish) hours of use and caused a lot of vibration - mine was on 'special offer' - perhaps that was a clue. To date, the 'Trend' T3 has outlasted the lot of them (Bosch/Rotozip/Dremel/DeWalt) and is STILL going strong after six years with goodness knows how many hours of use !!!
    You might want to look at the 'Kress' router (in various powers) as a true alternative - most of the 'euro' routers have 43mm dia collars on the front that makes mounting very easy.

Neil

10. kram242

This would be fantastic Neil! :banger:
    May get a start by looking at the cutlist plugin here http://lumberjocks.com/daltxguy/blog/5143
    It does a rudimentary components layout depending on the sheet size using. not really so much of what we are after but does have some nice features. I do not think it factors in the bit/blade spacing but may be a good resource to look into for start.
    A better option to look at?
    This one may be just what we are looking for. http://code.google.com/p/zomadicam/ Its been around for a while but not many people know about it because it was written with the proprietary output of the shop bot code.
    I like this one because it takes the model (that has been assembled with the phlatparts) and lays them flat. Not sure how far it goes into the nesting end of things, maybe using the component/groups bounding edges for the nest, but its a start in the right direction with the ability to select an entire model and generate the flat parts from it.
    Another layout option is embedded in the code for the slicer tool found here. viewtopic.php?f=103&t=95&start=0
    Hope this helps :)
    Mark and Trish

11. iGull

iGull Member

Hi All

Kwok has been making some mods to the phlatBone tool which keep it in line with the rest of the tools in the set - lots of extra work put in there - well done Kwok !

1 Now has bone corner highlighting - as you hover over a corner, the valid corner(s) are highlighted. As before, if T-Bones are selected, then holding the 'shift' key will switch direction of the T-Bone(s).

2 Now allows for the corners to be rotated - they MUST still be 90 deg corners 'though !

New file 'phlateBone1v1.zip' is held in the first post.

PLEASE read the 'readme' file for full information !!!

File has been checked for Mac/PC compatibility on SU v7 & v8.

Cheers

Neil (& Kwok :) )

12. kram242

Once again outstanding job! :doubleup: Just from reading the description it sound great, going to download now. :dance3:
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

13. 3DMON

:dance3: Awesome! :dance3: I just tried it. This help tons with the Tbone tool for knowing which way the shift key is turning the radius.
    Great job guys! :doubleup:

14. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

WOW, guys this is an amazing tool, I am having fun applying it to my workflow!! I know I mostly use foam but now I have a reason to expand my materials!! :doubleup:
    Thank you!!

John

15. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Finally had a chance to try this tool out. GREAT work :D

Problem, though... When I go to cut the file, all is well until the first bone so to speak. The machine just sits there doing nothing as the code scrolls by in MACH3.
    Any ideas? I ran the same file with out the dogbonning, and all was well.

THANKS in advance.

16. 3DMON

Try telling it your tool diameter is .010 bigger than it actually is. More than likely the plat line isn't generating properly.

17. rcav8r

THANKS Shawn!!!!!!!!! :fantastic: That was it. No idea why. Cut the parts with the new file, and they fit like a glove.

FWIW, here's a screen scrape of the code. I did notice that the code was "funky" with the failed file. Not exactly sure why. Also when it failed, it moved the tool to the first plunge, cut the first line, and then that is when all motion on the machine stopped, but the code kept running in Mach. Also Mach zeroed the machine where the tool stopped. Weird for sure.
    Good code on the left, bad on the right. Attached files [​IMG]

18. 3DMON

Cool man!

The reason why might be because the offset of the phlat tool didn't make a face. This is sometimes an issue with the offset algorithm on the inside cuts. When Gasmasher created the better algorithm it really works great but there are still some small issues with it. You might have found one of those small issues. :)

19. rcav8r

OK, I enlarged them, and see the issue. Left =good, right=bad
    The slots are only 1/8" with a 1/16" tool. so I'm sure that contributed to the issue.

THANKS again
    Dave Attached files [​IMG]

20. iGull

iGull Member

Hi Dave

just picked up on your problem. The 'tool diameter' that is used in the phlatbone tool is in name only - it is not linked to the 'actual' tool diameter used in the phlatscript - you can therefore adjust it's size to deal with the issue you are having. If the actual tool is say 3mm and the phlatbone tool diameter is also set to 3mm, then the phlatscript can't get in to the bones (so to speak :) - you therefore need to open up the size of the bone to accomodate the tool. Shaun is suggesting 0.01" - this seems excessive to me, but I bow to his superior boning knowledge (from memory, I think I was using +0.1mm which would be about 0.004 in US dollars). There is surely a minimum limit for this in the phlatscript, but the value eludes me - perhaps Kwok can give the definitive limit - it could then be dialled in to the bone script permanently and this issue would be resolved. I guess that the tool diameter will be taken from the 'real' tool diameter in a later release of the phlatscript.
    It is a wee bit of a dirty way to do it, but we're not making parts for the Hubble - just need to keep things in perspective :lol:

Cheers

Neil

21. 3DMON

Hey Neil,
    Yeah I said .010" because I knew it would work as at the time I couldn't remember how much I increased it before when I found out what worked. I just did some tests and found some weird results. I now am actually getting results with it being the exact tool diameter and even when I went .001" smaller but it doesn't seem to work all the time. I went ahead and increased the tool diameter .001" at a time and it would not produce a face until I got .009" bigger.
    Hope that helps.

22. rcav8r

Well no matter the problem, the cure is quick and simple.
    THANKS again for such a GREAT plugin.