1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

PhlatCode Multipass Manglerizer NOW V 1.2.0

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Related Software' started by FozzyTheBear, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

I went through a fair share of bits till I found that
    1: not all aluminum's are the same :? , and it has to be securely mounted.
    2: there is big difference between a .015 pass and a .010 pass on my cheap .0625 bits.
    3: constant coolant is a must, no getting around it.
    4: A solid tight tolerance rigid machine is a must for trueness
    5: I needed help from a machinist :oops:

This Mutlipass is really going to help me. (Does the Fifth Element red head come with it :D )

2. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Panic Ye Not!!! Version 1.0 Will be uploaded today!! :D well before your live show, so you can take a look at it. :D

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

3. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Yeah! but she's got terrible legs.... :D Have you seen her in those Resident Evil movies... Yuk! not good in those boots!

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

4. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Multipass?

5. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Have never watched 5th Elephant.... oops sorry 5th Element! :lol: Multipass is one of the few almost english words she know.. :D

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

7. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

OK OK!!!! Teasing over!! The first post is now updated!! to include the download for V1.0

ENJOY!!!

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Thank you Fozzy going to check it out now! :D
    Mark

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Thanks! I got an error message. I think it's a problem with the thickness inch unit. Here is the screen grab and the cnc file:

Attached files Multi-test.cnc (1.7 KB)Â [​IMG]

10. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Yup!!! That's exactly what it is.... It determines the material thickness from the definition in the headder..... Edit that in notepad to read (Material Thickness: 0.25) and it'll work fine.... I'll work on adding fractions into the parser for the next version.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

11. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Fozzy I am getting this error on all the code I have tried so far. I never completes the output code.
    I am working on windows 7?(on this system)
    Mark
    Attached files [​IMG]

12. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

OK Mark drop me the phaltcode file you tried it on and I'll try it on XP..... It's only tested on windows XP and windows 98 right now.....

I'll try it out on Vista and see what happens as well..... I can't really give you any support with windows 7 if it proves to be an issue with that, because I don't have it. BUT! that actually looks like an issue with the file parser on 922 code. I need to see more code from version 922..... I know It works without falling over on phlatcode from 921....

But it might need some more tweaking to work with 922.... I didn't have 922 until the weekend so it so Tim probably broke my file parser already without even trying!! :lol: Never mind! I'll fix it. No problem.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

13. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

14. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

That's normal!! :D it's supposed to do that..... the first 3 passes are evenly spaced.... but the last pass is larger, because as you say it includes the overcut. So on the last pass it is still removing the same amount of material as the other passes but then also adds the overcut percentage to make sure that the tool clears right through the material.

What I have done however is to limit that overcut.... so the maximum permitted overcut is 1/10th of an inch (0.10) anything above that is ignored. There's no reason that we need the tool to go more than 1/10th" beyond the material thickness at any time.

Yes... I agree with you about the save file dialogue window.... I'm lazy as well. i'll get it to put the original file name and add MPS Filename_MPS.cnc as the default.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

15. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Hey fozzy. It appears to work great. I need to load some material and make a real test cut but the mock test really looks like its gonna be excellent.................Never noticed before though, do all the inside cuts run counter clockwise ? and all the outside cuts run clockwise for a reason? Just trying to learn :roll:

Thank you ! ;) Attached files [​IMG]

16. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Yes! that's a function of the phlatscript..... It's the right way to do it.... it makes sure that the rotating tool bit always has its cutting edges facing into the cut as it moves. you want the sharp edges cutting in towards the material as it turns, rather than away from the material.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

17. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Awhh ! thank you, Im gonna load some foam now ! ;)

18. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I just made a circle (outside cut with 4 tabs) and got something strange. It's the same with v921 & v922. See the steep ramps. It should be doing 100% of the cut depth there?

Attached files Multi circle test.cnc (1.6 KB)Â [​IMG]

19. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

OK I see the problem with this one..... I've added it to the ticket list for tonight and I'll have a fix for it up in a few hours.

thanks for attaching the code.... It makes it a lot easier to fix when I can see it like that.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

20. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

OK, I just noticed this on my Motor mounts , So this is not suppose to happen!!

21. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

yeah! your circle test did it too once I got the initial bug sorted..... So It's a parser problem where it's not picking something up.

I'm on it!!

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

22. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Amazing fozz.....simply amazing. Thank you!

23. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

No Problemo!! I built this because I needed it.... I'm pleased to see that other people will get some use from it.

Version 1.01 is being uploaded now and fixes the incompatibility issue with .922 PhlatCode..... It also fixes the bugs reported last night! :D

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

24. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Fozzy, you should not add any depth greater than what the original gcode contains!

We already have problems with the bit plunging too far into the material due to the 40% increase built into the phlatscript for FFF.

The only time multipass becomes usefull is when you are cutting harder material than FFF. The bits we typically use for cutting lite ply etc are often very tiny, maybe 1/32" and have short shanks.

We need to make sure the gantry does let the bit go so far as to expose the shank or we will break the bit. In foam, if we exposed the shank, we simply burned some foam, but with harder materials, the effects are more dangerous.

You certainly do not want a bit to break and possibly injure someones eye.

I mentioned in an earlier post about changing two variables in phlatscript to control the precision of the Z depth so that it removes the 40% overcut and lets the user specify a precise depth via the material setting.

If your code then comes along and adds another 1/10 of an inch you are pushing my bit further than I am expecting and potentially will cause me to break a bit.

25. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Flash, I'm sure Fozzy will chime in here soon. But I think no extra depth is added in the software. What it looks like, to me, is the material depth and #of Pass, is used to calculated the individual plunge depths. So the last cut can be larger up to a max of 0.10 inch. I am assuming that if lareger, then it would make another pass. This could be a problem, if 0.10 inch breaks your bit. But also, this means that if, like you suggest, you removed the 40% default overcut, then all pass depth would now be uniform. Have you tried it with your customized phlatscript, yet? Just wonder if my guess is not right.

What about a second option, where you just enter a pass depth?

And I would be very happy, if I could "drag/drop" the cnc file into the window. :mrgreen:

-Kwok