1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

PhlatJak

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by 7up, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Oh...forgot to say the markings on the wing and vertical fin are printed on this PC onto 8.5 x 11 clear label adhesive stock and then sprayed with clear laquer to seal the print from the elements.

Chuck

2. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Mine has the really light colored tape. I just kept running strips to cover the wing. nothing fancy. I was really just wanting to add some extra strength to the wing.

3. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Chuck. I'll re-position the parts to fit a sheet of depron for you. What is the size that you have available? Length and width?

Frank, I thought yours was paint also.

4. Chuck

Chuck New Member

The foam is from RC FOAM, 6mm white full sheet Depron and it comes 27" X 39". I usually cut a few inches off the 27" side to fit easily through the machine. Basically, the cut has to fit in a 39" space. That could be tough but maybe things can be scrunched up enough to do it. Even two sheets would be okay if necessary and like I said, that would allow for a 40 or so percent KF doubler to be cut at the same time for either over or under the wing. I wanted to fly PhlatJak again this morning (switched to a 1500kv outrunner) but it is nasty windy and looks like rain. Maybe will have to wait. By-the-way Frank, running lengths of thin tape is an excellent way to make the wing stronger.

Thanks
    Chuck

5. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Hey Chuck. I think I am going to have to try the epp route also. Fanfold was great but I have a box of the 24x36 9mm epp just waiting to be cut up :D

6. Chuck

Chuck New Member

A nice straight 9mm EPP Phlatjak would be a sight to behold! It would be perfect for a 150% version so long as the tabs and slots and servo holes remained the same size as they now are. I am having trouble with every 24gram outrunner I put on this plane, they all make a strange noise at high RPM and it does not seem right. One of the flat out quit after making the noise. I am inclined to think it is a front bearing in the little motors. Now I am thinking about switching over to a bigger, heavier outrunner but about the smallest I have is 400 size and that is almost exactly double the weight on the Blue Wonder. Too much to think about, think I will take a break since it is far too windy to fly the Phlatjak again.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

7. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Check the timing on your ESC if the motor is squealing under high power. Make sure your prop isn't too big either, I think a 9 X 4.7 is the biggest prop they suggest for the 1300kv motor

8. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I was wondering about the timing. I think I have one of those timing cards around somewhere, I never use them and never check timing on anything and that could be the problem. Where should the timing be? I have tried three different motors now, two 1300KV and one 1500KV and they all make a rather noticeable "clicking" noise if I really power them up. I smoked one 1300KV, but doubt that was a timing issue. It got hot. I have been testing these motors with a 8x3.8 and that should be not too much. Also, Hextronic says they are best suited to 11.1V. I will try to check out the timing Jeff. Thank you. Oh...can the timing be checked/set with just the transmitter or is the timing card needed? Isn't there some sort of a beep system. The Blue Wonders come with absolutely zero instructions or specs, so it is areally up in the air. I just wanted to add all of you guys are great on this forum for offering suggestions and help.

Chuck

9. 7up

Chuck, I posted the CNC file for the 22x36" sheet in Post #1.

10. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Chuck, it depends on where you got the ESC and what type it is, Lazertoys 10 amp ESC comes with instructions on how to time the ESC but timing a different brand with those instructions could be harmful to your ESC.

11. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Yipee! Thanx 7up. Jeff, gotcha on the esc and the timing. I think I am using Turnigy esc and their timing card - the one with the led's and programmable music. I'll check it out.

I am anxious to get that 22 x 36 inch file in the system. Man-o-man do I appreciate that!

Chuck

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Chuck, if you've got one of those Turnigy programming cards, life is good! I've used mine to set at least a dozen different brands of ESCs without any glitches.

13. 7up

Got my son on the sticks today. Very nice little plane. It would be awesome in the hands of a 3D pilot. The CG was pretty forgiving. I was able to balance it with a 2S 100 and a 2S 480, of course the 480 was as far forward as possible and the CG came out about 1/4" too far back but it still flew well.

The newest plans have the aileron servos moved forward and the spar moved back to the CG point. This will help with the balancing.

A few repairs and tomorrow we'll try and test some Kf steps on it.

Chuck, you are welcome.

Hey Frank! :mrgreen: You tried it yet? Let Brian cut loose on it.

-Buk

14. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Haha, I also redrew it with the wing servos farther out front, the Blue Wonder 24G motor just doesn't weigh enough to balance on a smaller Lipo, Instead of dead weight, I put a 1320 3S pack in it to balance it, The downside is that it weighs 12 OZ now instead of 7.

Hopefully get a flight on it tomorrow as the wind is crappy today

15. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Jeff, anxious to hear how it does. On my gram scale, the 24gram blue wonder weighs almost exactly one=half as much as a 400 size outrunner. I could use the 400, it will fit, but it seems like overkill and then I would not want to use a 2S with such a motor. Keep us posted!

Chuck

16. 7up

Yea Jeff, big weight difference between my 1000 2S Zippy and my 480 2S Thunder Power. With 9g servos way up front you may be able to get by with the smaller lipo and keep the weight down.

Mine built with 1/4" GreenGuard FFF :(

7.1 oz. RTF no batt.
    7.9 oz. RTF 2S 480 Thunder Power
    10.2 oz. RTF 2S 1000 Zippy

17. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Earlier this evening the 24gram Blue Wonder pulled the PhlatJak with authority. It flew right out of my hands. I was not the pilot, I was the "tosser". The plane flew straight and powerful for a short time when all of a sudden, all control was lost and the airplane began doing whatever it pleased regardless of stick commands. Symptoms were the same if someone turned on a TX with the same frequency, but that was not the case. The plane went into the ground pretty flat and the only damage was a slight break in the adhesive holding the motor mount on. This was caused by the prop hitting the ground. I am guessing the receiver is bad. No other reason can be found so I will switch out the receiver and give it another go after I glue the motor back on. The point here is, really, that the 24gram motor with a 1000mAh 3S and a 8x3.8 prop will provide more than enough performance for the PhlatJak. Great design! Gotta get if fixed and flying.

Chuck

18. Chuck

Chuck New Member

7Up - great job on the revised PhlatJak c.n.c. for a single sheet of white Depron. Thanks a million. I cut one today (after I solved the scalloping issue on my MKII) and it came out real nice. I have not assmbled this one yet, I will keep it ready to go when needed. Thanks for your extra effort on this, I most certainly appreciate it.

Chuck

19. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hey guys just wanted to post this cool design in the overhead format for the Phlatprinter to cut.
    When someone cuts it out please let us know how it cuts.
    Mark and Trish

Attached files PhlatJak.cnc (28.8 KB)Â

20. popedan41

popedan41 Member

mark it cuts out fine.great job. :doubleup:

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. hawk flyer

hawk flyer Member

Hi Popedan41, is it just me or does the last tab towards the tail angle to the right a bit?

Eric

22. popedan41

popedan41 Member

eric its strait its the picture.

23. hawk flyer

hawk flyer Member

Ok, thanks.

Eric