1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Phlatprinter MK3

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by theothers, Jul 18, 2010.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Shaun that was the first concept for the logo and we did like it but it seemed a little to much like the quake logo so we back away :) We have since tried several different styles and this one just sticks, it reminds me of a arrow point :)
    Thanks so much for the suggestions and awesome words of support and encouragement from all you guys!
    Mark and Trish

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Just curious, Mark, why is the hex rod better then round rod? Is it less costly?

3. kram242

Hello Yoram,
    Actually the hex cost more because its bigger (the round rod was 1/4") and the shape of the hex rod itself makes it more expensive.
    Its worth it to use because the hex shape allows it to lock into place so that only the roller spins on the bearing and since it thicker its more of a straight axle. Coupled with the precision bearings its awesome! :) We have all different styles that we purchased for testing and this version is the best by far.
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Cool Mark,
    I didn't even think about it looking like Quake LOL. Looking at it more, I like it too.

5. ZombieBait

ZombieBait New Member

Morning Mark,

I went to have a look at Phlatboyz.com this morning (AEDT). Have you been cybersquatted? Ouch.

Dorsal,
    Was that you on the T-shirt forum? If so, are there any candidate inkjet modules for the Mk III? I keep looking at an Epson R1900 on the local ebay - still around $1K down here. If we could get an inkjet module on the Mk III, do you think there is enough height clearance for a folded t-shirt or even windcheater? Trying to make a choice now the baby bills are almost paid and the Aussie dollar is rather high.

ciao,
    Scott

6. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Just checked the site.... Caught me off guard. :shock: I really like the new design... Definably the phlatboyz site.

7. kram242

Thanks guyz it was a lot of work (Trish mostly :) ) but we really like the cart options and the ability to review products, etc there are so many options with the new site and it will grow with us all.
    Mark and Trish

8. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

WOW! The store site looks great. Way to go Trish!... and you too Mark :lol:

9. ZombieBait

ZombieBait New Member

Ahhh. Much better than what I saw this morning. :)

10. kram242

Thanks guys! Its really coming along and we are so happy with it. We just found out tonight that if you type (for instance) 'pulley' in the search without hitting enter all the products containing the word pulley will come up and you can click on the one you want!
    Thanks again
    Mark and Trish

11. kram242

More pictures :D

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

Good stuff guyz! The cut you did on the live show (even though the settings were wrong) was pretty cool. It's amazing how the bit can travel hundreds of inches and somehow end up at the exact same place (you mentioned this when it cut the fuse - you could not even tell where the cut started or ended). How does the machine know how far it's moving? Of course the computer is sending coordinates to the driver board, and the board to the motors, but how does it measure units? Do the motors literally have "steps" like servos do? That is, for example, 100 steps of the motor = 1 in bit movement.

- Jeff

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Jeff, that is exactly how all the PP s work, with stepper motors. Each machine will have slight variations, but there are approximately 2000 steps per inch with the gearing that's in place on my MK1.5, and I expect the MK2 and III are very similar.
    The magic is to get the machine "tuned" properly so there are no rough or tight spots in the axis travel, so the steppers don't miss any steps. Once that's done, they will repeat steps within a couple thousandths or less.

14. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Actually, rc servos don't really have steps. They are closed loop, meaning they get position feedback from a potentiometer. So they can be commanded to go to any position and they will go to the same spot each time. On the other hand stepper motors actually, only move in steps. They are open loop, meaning they don't have any feedback device to tell them their position. So the cnc machine doesn't really sense it's position. It relys on the fact that stepper motors are designed to move a precise step, each and every time. And it just counts the steps and assume it's at so and so position. Hence the term "missing steps", which means the cnc machine is not where it expects it to be. So why use stepper motors. It's because it's cheaper and less complicated. And as you have seen, they work very well, for our needs. And yes, you need to calibrated each axis. You set this in the control software, X number of steps/inch for each axis.

-Kwok