1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Questions

Discussion in 'PhlatFORMER General Chat' started by Flashsolutions, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

What is the cost of the kit?

Does it come with the heat source?

What is the cost of the plastic?

Where do I get replacement stock?

Does the vacuum unit come with it? If not, what size unit is required and what are the specs for the hose connection?

Sorry for all the questions. They may have been covered elsewhere, but I have not had time to follow the discussions lately.

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello Flash,
    you can find most answers to your questions here under the specs section
    viewtopic.php?f=230&t=1895

You supply the vacuum and the heat source. Any shop vac will do, the smallest one I have tested is 2.5 hp and for the heat source I am using a single burner hot plate, although I would recommend a larger heat source to cover more area. I have used a heat gun as well.
    The plastic can be found here. http://www.phlatboyz.com/phlatstore/#ec ... uct=653222
    and here
    http://www.phlatboyz.com/phlatstore/#ec ... uct=653223

Thank you for the feedback, I will try to answer the rest of your questions in the form of a post so that all can benefit from them.
    Mark

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

How do you know when the temperature of the material is right for forming?

How long does it typically take for the material to heat up to the correct temperature?

Do you use a timer?

Have you tried using the hot plate in combination with a heat gun? Hot plate on bottom and heat gun from the top.

I suppose there is a risk of fire. Have you had any incidents of this nature?

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello Flash,
    I will do my best to answer your questions.
    No we have not. The flash point of MDF is high enough and the heat source is only on for a short period of time while heating the plastic. Not saying that this can't happen but with the aluminum coating on the frames bottom as a precaution it would first have to melt that as well.
    This being said as stated when purchased, it is up to the user to to be solely responsible with this device as it uses heat for the forming process and with a heat source comes the responsibility to handle properly.

Thank you for your questions Flash
    Mark and Trish