1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Sentinel F3P/3D Plane!!!

Discussion in ''Aircraft KITS' you are working on' started by xtremeRCpilot, Dec 6, 2009.

1. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hi Everyone, I have been working on a new design for http://www.xtremefoamies.com and am very excited about the response of this aircraft!! My intention was to design an indoor plane that was Precision capable but could do 3D as well!! Hence the SENTINEL was born :)
    This plane is very straight forward to build in spite of the truss supports the tab and slot construction makes it a breeze to assemble!It has a four piece horizontal fuse and wing integration with v notch alignment tabs!! The final version came in at 5 oz RTF on a 36" wingspan, talk about a light wing loading!! :p
    So,I took the Sentinel to the JR Fest where on its first flight was blown away at how responsive this bird was. It had a very crisp reaction to input and would keep its heading with no coupling required during knife edge, rolls etc... So after it was trimmed I handed the sticks over to a Gentleman that fly's competitively and he was very impressed. The advice given to me was priceless and therefore the second prototype was born!
    I have built several of these and have been taking them to local indoor fly ins to get the response of those interested in this type of plane. Needless to say it was a hit and now I have been selling these and in some cases building them for these guys so they can plug and play!!
    It is amazing to see many folks flying and enjoying one of your creations and hope to add a few more planes to the site that could be this worthy, next is a bipe and 3D plane!! Keep your eyes on the site for there release!!

John Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

WOW John that is one sweet puppy! I tell you I do not know how you can build so light. All my planes are well over 12 oz every time :)
    Great paint job as well brother
    Really nice job John, you making me want one!
    Mark

3. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

That IS one heck of a paint job, looks great!

4. iflyos

iflyos Member

Looks great John!!! You have a sharp looking design there...I may just have to add one to my collection as well...

Tim
    AG4RZ

5. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thank you Guys!! You are to kind :) It really is very light for its size Mark, I was expecting 6.5oz but when I weighed it ,I was amazed at how light it came out. I think I am getting better with the glue LOL :D

Hi Erik, I am no artist for sure but thanks to the MKII I was able to design the stencils for this bird!!! :cool:

Thank you Tim, This is the second prototype and third design. I am trying to make these my own so you know you have an Xtreme plane LOL :D

John

6. meistertek

meistertek Member

John, The Sentinel looks great, I especially like the unique scalloped look of the wing and the air brakes they go to together really well. I would really like to see a sentinel painted with a bat skin airbrush paint theme!

7. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks meistertek!! I started with a rounded leading edge and then changed it to give it a one of a kind look!! I like your idea of the bat wing paint scheme, I cant tell you how many folks said it looks like a bat :) This wasnt my intention but now I should run with it LOL :D

John

8. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Looks good John.
    That happens with me a lot when I bring something different out. People keep tell me some of my designs look like a fish or a bat. I never saw that when I was designing them lol. As soon as something has any swoop to it, it seems to get the comment.

9. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hi Shaun! Thank you my Friend..That is too funny... i dont know why everyone thinks all my designs look like a bat,i.e. the Sentinel, the Annhilator, and even my Ghost someone said it look like a bat.. COME ON MAN its a Ghost and those are its Hands and Feet ,DUMMIES :lol: maybe we are BATMAN re incarnate LOL :D

John

10. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Nice John, lean clean and light. I notice no airbrakes, does it speed up much on the downlines? Is that the aileron drive from radical-rc ?

Jeff

11. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks Jeff, I beat my goal for wing loading and I am going to do a mod for airbrakes but because I dont compete this will give you more flight time:) To answer your two questions It is very forgiving on the down lines in that it doesnt speed up as much as I thought mainly because of the angle of the SFGs hold back the craft a bit :) Also yes those are radicals Biased control horns, It gives you perfect geometry for your throws on the ailerons!!!

John

12. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hey Guyz!! Just finished airbrushing another Sentinel, this one was for me :D

John Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. iflyos

iflyos Member

Man...I gotta learn to paint.....you are killing me John!!! That is one sharp looking plane.

Oh, to have some artistic ability!

Tim
    AG4RZ

14. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Tim, you are to kind!! If you are ever in Cleveland Ohio please stop by and we can throw some paint around :) I know you can do it, just make some stencils or you can buy them and it will flow easy!!! I really enjoy this, its like meditation for me :D

John

15. iflyos

iflyos Member

I will take you up on that John!! BTW, there is a thread somewhere on RCG about looking for somewhere in Cleveland to fly indoors..if I find it again, I will shoot it to you.

Tim
    AG4RZ

16. Lucky

Lucky New Member

John,

Man the Sentinel is looking sweet!! I gonna have to get my hands on one of those to ring out :D

Great airbrushing as well, Im just getting back into airbrushing again! I love it :D
    I'd been trying to help ol Tim out on some tricks and some of my secrects :?

What is your power system that you are using?

Chris

17. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thank you Chris, it really is a sleeper, its like your flying in slow motion on this 5oz 36" wingspan airframe :) I am using an AXI 2203-46 for power and micro everything!! I run a 2 cell 350mah at 20grams and get 8 minutes from this bird :D

Thank you
    John

18. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Just finishing up another paint scheme for a buddy of mine on Team Futaba, talk about promoting a plane :D Now if I can just get him to fly it LOL :)

John Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. iflyos

iflyos Member

Dude..It ain't gonna fly near as good with sub-standard gear in it..and painted on it!! :mrgreen:

Killer job!!! You have some serious skillz!

Tim
    AG4RZ

20. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

LOL :D your right Tim, Im a JR guy myself!!! Thanks for the props !!! :)

John

21. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Awesome paint scheme man!
    I dig those colors.

22. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hey Thanks Shaun!! I really started to like them when they hit the foam :) I wanted to keep true to the Futaba colors and not be to creative, but sometimes less is more :D

John

23. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Outstanding! You know your going to have to start selling painted kits now!
    Really nice work brother!
    Mark

24. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Ou, ou! Beautimus paint! :shock:

25. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hey Thanks Guys, They usually are by accident, I just start throwing paint around and sometimes get lucky LOL :)

Mark, I plan to make you one of these paint schemes for the Toledo show so if you have a color preference let me know :D

John